Dumping grey waste

ham

JudgeMental - 2012-05-25 9:09 PM

Bolly1965 - 2012-05-25 7:14 PM

Ah Hem - not all of us northerners are heathens you soft southern pansy! And if you'd 'lost it' with this northerner, then a bit of grey waste would be the least of your worries. Too many people sick their noses into other people's business, I find a broken nose stops that.

And you are a prime example of an ignorant northern idiot... I can assure you poring smelly waste 10 feet away from me day in day out is my business.

What a sad little man - if only you knew....

I always dispose of my waste with consideration for others...

However, should our paths cross, you'll be in no doubt as to how much of an ignorant northern idiot I am. Now run along and go watch Eastenders...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taken from the CCC handbook.

The caravan code paragraph f states:-

The member allows no waste water from the caravan to foul the ground, ensures that suitable receptacles are connected to the waste pipes to collect the waste, and the receptacles emptied as necessary. In the few instances where no disposal point is provided, minimum fouling is achieved by distributing the water over a considerable area, as along a hedge.

Pick the bones out of that then!

bolero boy - 2012-05-25 9:25 PM

Without seeming to be too 'evangelistic' ;-) , what's wrong with dumping it in the 'proper place' - use a Wastemaster to carry to the Grey Water Point, connect a hose to an on-site drain or use a drive over dump point.

Surely one of these simple methods cant be too much trouble. If it is, then I'm seriously worried about people and their lack of courtesy. Perhaps we can do away with all the facilities provided by sites/aires and get fee reduction, just like the leccy debate????

That only works if you use sites ... we rarely do, so use the 'road drain' method when really necessary although most of the time we visit aires (in France) and use them whilst we do the toilet and fill up the fresh water tank.

In the UK, if there is a drain in a lay-by and it is well away from others so as not to cause offence, then we may use that drain instead of a 'road drain'.

Just letting the waste 'go' in a lay-by without a care for the other users, or ensuring that it will go straight into a drain (and not all over the lay-by itself), is extremely selfish. >:-(

On the rare occasions we use sites, we always use the drive over dump point (if one is available), a bucket (without a hole!) or a road drain off site, we NEVER let the grey waste out onto the pitch as you don't know who's going to use it after you - nothing worse than a soggy patch! :D

The only time we sometimes let the grey water out onto grass is when we attend a camper show and may let the grey water drip out overnight where it will dissipate into the ground. :-D

A slow leak from the waste tap while travelling is another method often used when no drain is available, but I also believe some support the idea that the tiny amount of grease in the water will cause fellow road uses to skid and crash 8-)

When on site and no waste drain is available the hedge method is the best, if there is one!

chas - 2012-05-26 8:12 AM

A slow leak from the waste tap while travelling is another method often used when no drain is available, but I also believe some support the idea that the tiny amount of grease in the water will cause fellow road uses to skid and crash 8-)

When on site and no waste drain is available the hedge method is the best, if there is one!

Yes. On a serious note as a scooter driver there is nothing worse than flinging round a corner on a sunny day and a dry tarmac road to be confronted with a slick of grey on the road! Could spell disaster for a bike. I would rather you dumped it in the middle of a town square than on a dry road.

Would like to see a copy of the EA letter.

For them to jump on this I can only guess that the gulley pots from the layby drained straight into a sensitive watercourse. I'd also be surprised if they were interested in pursuing the matter when they realise it was only grey water that was drained and not some other noxious substance.

Considering the scale of genuine watercourse pollution, even 'semi-legal' watercourse pollution such as that which results from fertilisers / insecticides draining in from farmland and even things like salting the roads, it seems an odd priority for a public body to start targeting motorhomes. 

I'd be really interested to see how this unravels - I'd bet it'll be a damp squib.

As before, the only real issue with draining grey water is offending the sensibilities of fellow man. If done discreetly, I see no problem. I don't even have a fixed grey water tank.

pelmetman - 2012-05-25 9:29 PM

Tracker - 2012-05-25 8:53 PM

pelmetman - 2012-05-25 8:18 PM

Sue's just done the washing up and emptied the bowl into the sink 8-) 8-) ..........OMG.......its in the bucket as I type......... 8-) 8-) ............what ever shall I do?...........

Lifes a bitch sometimes *-)

Make a bigger hole in yer bucket dear Davey, dear Davey,

Don't sit on the damp patches dear Davey, dear Susie!

Sorry Rich a bigger hole is not the answer ;-) ...........a subtle hole is the answer......something that leaks slowly and does not dribble down to Eddie is the answer...........any other answers on a postcard :D .........

As for whats in our cassette I'm thinking of selling that to the banks.........as those clever people will buy any old crap (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Why bother with a cassette at all? Can't you just leave the toilet blade open a bit (a la bucket) and let it dribble out? After all, just a little hole can't be a problem, can it? Surely if we're discrete about it? ;-)

Following the attitude permeating on this thread, we've decided not to even bother with our waste bin. If we just leave the windows open a little bit we can just let the litter slip out unnoticed. Anyway, with all those plastic bags out there already, who really cares?

Not good, guys - I'm sure we are the first to complain when any fledgling project started by a local authority to provide cheap basic MH facilities get withdrawn due to 'misuse'.

crinklystarfish - 2012-05-26 8:43 AMWould like to see a copy of the EA letter.

For them to jump on this I can only guess that the gulley pots from the layby drained straight into a sensitive watercourse. I'd also be surprised if they were interested in pursuing the matter when they realise it was only grey water that was drained and not some other noxious substance.

Considering the scale of genuine watercourse pollution, even 'semi-legal' watercourse pollution such as that which results from fertilisers / insecticides draining in from farmland and even things like salting the roads, it seems an odd priority for a public body to start targeting motorhomes. 

I'd be really interested to see how this unravels - I'd bet it'll be a damp squib.

As before, the only real issue with draining grey water is offending the sensibilities of fellow man. If done discreetly, I see no problem. I don't even have a fixed grey water tank.
I am out in Belgium so unable to attached the letter. However I did not reply after a telephone call told me, we will not require your statement as the Driver of the motor home put is hands up when confronted with the Video evidence .My Friends Daughter is an environmental Inspector and I asked her about dumping waste water and she replied it is an offence as they treat it the same way as littering. But in this case it could be because the water ran off into a water course therefore it would be treated as polluting a water system.

I guess a lot of posts have been tongue in cheek - i personally empty the tank into a wastemaster and dispose of it at an allocated point - yes it is a pain to carry round but it stops the aquaroll rattling about in the washroom and yes use an aquaroll with a pump to refill the fresh water tank - saves having to drag the van over to a water point.

However. I am at a loss as to where wild campers are suposed to dispose of grey water, unless it is acceptable to dump it down a roadside drain, after all, apart from fairy liquid, I believe it's all biodegradable...

As for the loo???? I have no clue.

Bolly1965 - 2012-05-26 7:17 PM

I guess a lot of posts have been tongue in cheek - i personally empty the tank into a wastemaster and dispose of it at an allocated point - yes it is a pain to carry round but it stops the aquaroll rattling about in the washroom and yes use an aquaroll with a pump to refill the fresh water tank - saves having to drag the van over to a water point.

However. I am at a loss as to where wild campers are suposed to dispose of grey water, unless it is acceptable to dump it down a roadside drain, after all, apart from fairy liquid, I believe it's all biodegradable...

As for the loo???? I have no clue.

Easy. Just find a quiet bit of back road where you can pull on the grass and dump it there or in a drain. On both of these options make sure you are out of sight of prying eyes. Before you anti wilding brigade start twitching your fingers on the keyboard this is not because its wrong but its because of peoples perceptions of what we are doing. Non motorhomers may well think its toilet waste or something.

As for emptying the loo then its pretty easy to find a public toilet in this country and even if you cant the 2500 CL network are never far away. In Europe its never ever a problem as I just navigate to the nearest Aire on the sat nav because the rest of Europe isnt as backward as the UK.

Guest pelmetman
bolero boy - 2012-05-26 4:57 PM

Not good, guys - I'm sure we are the first to complain when any fledgling project started by a local authority to provide cheap basic MH facilities get withdrawn due to 'misuse'.

I also dump grey water down layby drains............I've no shame......Viva la revolution :D

Don't always agree with the Judge, but his comments are spot on here. All waste, including grey waste should be disposed of correctly; in our case that is on aires waste points.(So you see Eddie not all of us from the north lack manners or good sense!).

Seeing you have no proper grey waste tank Crinkly Star Fish pleased you do not think much of France or the aires, clearly not the type we want to see there!!

... as for the loo ... when wild camping we use public toilet blocks to dispose of the contents, the toilets are always left clean, usually cleaner than when we went in. If there is an attendant, or if it is in the car park of an attraction (eg museums, historic buildings etc), we always ask pemission to do it and have never yet been refused. We use the 'green' toilet products so no damage is caused to the 'good bugs' in any non-mains drains type toilet blocks. You can also find placed to dispose of waste at marinas, canals, bus terminuses ... terminii (?), as well as get fresh water and occasionally dispose of grey waste too.

WildBill - 2012-05-26 10:29 PM

Burial of toilet waste is approved of by the CC but only if there is no other approved means to dispose of it and not near a water course.

Yep! and they also officially aprove the use of Dock Leaves for wiping your arse! Although i could have made that up. :-D

WildBill - 2012-05-25 8:54 PM

I cant see a problem with dumping grey water in a drain in a laybye. I shall ask my Southwest water friends what they think on it. For those who frown on such dumping of washing up water, did they never pee in a hedge or are they too posh for that sort of behaviour? Or is it just something us people from up Norf do??

Don't forget to check the wind direction before doing this!

Barryd999 - 2012-05-26 10:41 PM

WildBill - 2012-05-26 10:29 PM

Burial of toilet waste is approved of by the CC but only if there is no other approved means to dispose of it and not near a water course.

Yep! and they also officially aprove the use of Dock Leaves for wiping your arse! Although i could have made that up. :-D

Guest Tracker

I wonder just how many of the preachers on this thread leave a site - especially a club site - or a showground with their waste water tank tap slightly open - or even fully open in some cases - thus leaving a very obvious and rather wet trail for everyone else to drive through and follow.

This kind of action tends to make non motorhomers see motorhomers as little better than travellers - and they do have a point and for those who live near a site entrance the morning exodus of motorhomes must be quite tiresome at times.

Guest pelmetman

I find threads like this really make me giggle :D .............Dumping grey water is harmless to the enviroment, indeed with our current drought it could be said to be helpful.......but.... a bit like having a pee in a bush.........it should be done with some decorum........which is why I prefer to dribble.......

It could just be an age thing :-S

The French organisation FFACCC has a Code of Conduct that includes (in para 7) advice on disposal of 'grey water'.

http://www.ffaccc.fr/code-comportement-accueil-stationnement

While experienced motorcaravanners may be fully aware of the difference between 'grey' and 'black' waste, there's no reason to think non-motorcaravanners will be similarly clued-up. That's why the FFACCC warns that even dumping fresh water should be carried out with discretion.

Tracker - 2012-05-27 8:23 AM

This kind of action tends to make non motorhomers see motorhomers as little better than travellers - and they do have a point and for those who live near a site entrance the morning exodus of motorhomes must be quite tiresome at times.

Amen to that Rich 8-)

Martyn

robertandjean - 2012-05-26 8:35 PMDon't always agree with the Judge, but his comments are spot on here. All waste, including grey waste should be disposed of correctly; in our case that is on aires waste points.(So you see Eddie not all of us from the north lack manners or good sense!). Seeing you have no proper grey waste tank Crinkly Star Fish pleased you do not think much of France or the aires, clearly not the type we want to see there!!

Hey chaps, I like France as I've said many times. I also like quiet aires. I've only tried to introduce some balance to the uncritical praise it receives by highlighting the negatives that many are wilfully blind to - or simply unaware of. If people aren't worried by the prospect of camping off formal sites there are, in my view, more interesting countries to motorhome in.

I would venture that the 'type' most don't want to see on aires are the 'type' that shuffle from one to the next, almost constantly hogging them, and leaving no room for anyone else.

Also, I do have a portable container to collect grey water if I'm in a place where people may be offended by my dribble - this would include aires.

Don't forget that the longer grey water is left in a holding tank the more pathogens and horrible smells are likely to develop.

Responsible dribbling is the future.

I am very sceptical about the EA prosecution too, don't forget that most boats on the inland waterways discharge grey water straight into the watercourse by design. There must be some radically exacerbating factor if this case is true. 

I don't understand why some people can't get their head round just how incredibly simple it is to responsibly dispose of all motorhome waste products without ever using sites. The only really limiting factor would be a fixed black holding tank as per RVs etc.

Odd thing, public perception.

Archived