Must have been Tango'ed

kelly58

Our close campers on campsite Nr Port Grimaud not only were all the items Orange and White , but she had a white top / orange trousers  /orange hair and orange shoes , he had an orange top white trousers and orange shoes , both bikes were orange and white which caused a few sniggers as people walked past.

DSCN0110.JPG.e8807e79cab0393f9a460bb57f1257e8.JPG

DSCN0129.JPG.e2b75603794bea65cf483400bde12207.JPG

We've seen a similar thing amongst Bond Bug enthusiasts (orange wedge-shaped cars) where the owners have all their gear to match the colour of the car - many years ago we mentioned to a friend of ours who had a Bond Bug that we were after some new camping chairs that reclined, and he told us he was after some too, shortly after we visited a caravan accessories shop and they had some on offer so we got a couple and rang him to ask him if he wanted us to get a couple of him ... when he heard they were orange he was ecstatic!!! :D

59347833_Bondbug.jpg.4d6cd12c5a503f00a5f0285ba458223a.jpg

Guest ChrisB

Mel

That photo brings back memories of my youth.

Next to the Bug I think is a BMW Isetta (left) and an early Bond (right).

The Bond had a motorcycle engine mounted on the front wheel. If the electric start failed you could climb into the engine compartment and kick start!

bond were taken over by Reliant.

Now where is the Messerschmitt...

ChrisB - 2012-05-26 9:38 PM

Mel

The Bond had a motorcycle engine mounted on the front wheel. If the electric start failed you could climb into the engine compartment and kick start!

Well here's a Schwarm - taken in the Schlumpf collection carpark in Mulhouse.

messerscmiitts.jpg.49f1f6bfb0d32136a1e3919ff8efb6ef.jpg

One of the strangest breakdowns I ever dealt with was an Isetta that had gradually come to a halt and would not restart..

After checking it had fuel/spark at the plug etc, it seemed to spin quite fast on the starter indicating it had low compression on its single cylinder. When the spark plug was removed for a squint into the combustion chamber some sort of gauzy material could be seen. It was hooked out with a bit of bent wire and found to be a ladies nylon stocking (calm yourselves). The owner had used it to wind around the perished rubber hose between the air cleaner and carburettor but it had got drawn in and eventually jammed the inlet valve open.

You had to remember to park an Isseta with the front well back from any obstruction to allow the front door room to open .

The pics are of a real bubble car in the Schlumf Collection. Apparently a "one off" it survived several years of use in the 1960s in Paris. From memory it had a 100 cc engine.

1023086678_RealBubbleCar.jpg.264575d362c7aae338c0ff2cfe373882.jpg

2122208526_RealBubbleCar2.jpg.c28b7c43d26a4ff395f2438859bcd480.jpg

ChrisB - 2012-05-26 9:38 PM

Mel

Chris, me and hubby used to belong to the Micro Maniacs Microcar Club, we were founder members (no 2) and organised many a rally with loads of different sorts of microcars attending, including quite a few people who travelled over from mainland Europe, we even had a New Zealander visit us one year as he owned some micros himself (no, he didn't bring one with him!). A few years ago we stepped back from the club to do other things so are no longer involved with it but we used to get some great vehicles showing up and lots of them.

We used to own a Bond Bug Mk G Estate in original condition, lovely thing and we had many a happy time in him - he was called Basil (Don) Bond as hubby used to work in stationery!!! :D

Archived