Sigma Blues

spike

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I have the Sigma alarm system installed and having problems with the fob. The user manual states ‘Press button 1 when close to the vehicle’, but I have to put it up to the driver’s window and press button 1 repeatedly to get a response. I have the same problem when trying to deactivate the immobiliser; it’s so bad that I have had to remove the fob from the key ring and position it up to the sensor before it will work. According to the manual, this occurs if the fob battery needs replacing, this I have done. Thinking that the fob itself was faulty, I tried the spare fob and found that this was the same, even with a new battery.

I would appreciate some advice on this, or if anyone else has had the same problem and managed to resolved it.

A couple of vans ago I had similar probs with a sigma alarm. Took the van to Oaklands Electricals in Leyland (20 mins from Bolton, so not too far from you).

They re-programmed the fobs for not much money (very important that).

I'm pretty sure they're sigma agents, and I quite often see vans in their yard.

regards

Allen

Spike

Has your alarm system always been like this (in which case the problem lies in the installation with (perhaps) the alarm's receiver being shielded somehow) or was the system OK to begin with and has developed the problem (in which case something has gone wrong).

I hesitate to suggest this, but have you tried holding the fob against your head and then pressing Button One? This is a well-known ploy that claims to amplify radio-type vehicle central-locking/alarm fobs. It may sound ludicrous, but it's worth trying as it might remove the current need for you to hold the fob against the cab-window or close to the sensor.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635

(I've also seen it suggested that the fob-against-head idea may work but have nothing to do with a person's head. That, in fact, it's holding the fob higher above the ground that produces better reception at the vehicle. So you might also try holding the fob as high as you can ABOVE your head to see if that improves matters.)

wints - 2012-05-29 8:23 AM

A couple of vans ago I had similar probs with a sigma alarm. Took the van to Oaklands Electricals in Leyland (20 mins from Bolton, so not too far from you).

regards

Allen

The manual does explain the process setting up a new fob, I wonder if this is the same thing? Next time I get to the van I’ll have a go at it with one of the two fobs.

Thanks for your help.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-29 8:49 AM

Spike

Has your alarm system always been like this (in which case the problem lies in the installation with (perhaps) the alarm's receiver being shielded somehow) or was the system OK to begin with and has developed the problem (in which case something has gone wrong).

I hesitate to suggest this, but have you tried holding the fob against your head and then pressing Button One? This is a well-known ploy that claims to amplify radio-type vehicle central-locking/alarm fobs. It may sound ludicrous, but it's worth trying as it might remove the current need for you to hold the fob against the cab-window or close to the sensor.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635

(I've also seen it suggested that the fob-against-head idea may work but have nothing to do with a person's head. That, in fact, it's holding the fob higher above the ground that produces better reception at the vehicle. So you might also try holding the fob as high as you can ABOVE your head to see if that improves matters.)

Thanks for that.

I have owned the vehicle less than 12 months, and can recall having this problem at that time, but it seemed to have got worse just lately. I mentioned in my original post that to deactivate the immobiliser that I had to hold the fob up the cab sensors, though I did wonder at the time what it is was that I should be pointing the fob towards? From what you are saying about the alarm's receiver being somehow shielded certainly makes sense and I will investigate this option, but do wonder what it is that the receiver may look like and where it might be located?

As regards pointing the fob towards my head, will try that too, that is, after making sure that nobody is watching me doing it :$

spike - 2012-05-29 8:58 AM

regards

Allen

The manual does explain the process setting up a new fob, I wonder if this is the same thing? Next time I get to the van I’ll have a go at it with one of the two fobs.

Thanks for your help.

When they re-programmed mine they 'attached' a device to the on board sigma box then did some wizardry with a computer, then brought the fobs close to the machine, then all was ok!

I suspect that you wouldn't be able to do this without their equipment.

Allen

wints - 2012-05-29 12:10 PM

regards

Allen

Thanks for your help.

When they re-programmed mine they 'attached' a device to the on board sigma box then did some wizardry with a computer, then brought the fobs close to the machine, then all was ok!

Allen

Thanks Allen

Can you recall what sort of charge they made for this?

spike - 2012-05-29 12:18 PM

wints - 2012-05-29 12:10 PM

regards

Allen

Thanks for your help.

Allen

Thanks Allen

Can you recall what sort of charge they made for this?

It was about 8 yrs ago, and was no more than £30.

Allen

Archived