Ford Transit Globecar trendscout Tow Bar Fitting

RSP

Has anybody had a towbar fitted to a 2008 Ford Transit Globecar Trendscout with the waste water tank where the transit spare wheel is normally housed ?If so was this off the shelf ?what manufacturer eg Witter,Bosel etc and was the distance between the chassis fixings drop plates suffiicent to clear the tank sides without relocating same.

PS We are at this time on the very good aire at Mouzon in the Ardennes which was repoted on in an earier post on this forum ,I can confirm this location is excellent

Yes, we have had a towbar fitted to our 2008 Trendscout. David Greenbank tyres and Towbars at Kendal supplied and fitted it. I've just had a look, and can't see the make, but it appears to be German, with a nose weight (stutzlast) of 112kg max. I will need to ask David what make it is and report back. I don't think it was a terribly big job for him to fit. We use it largely for carrying a Thule bike rack, but it is set up with twin electrics for a caravan (should we ever wish).

Be careful if you are wanting to tow anything heavy and check your GTW - some Trendscouts (not all), have just 4500kg GTW, which gives you just 1000kg towing capacity! The same applies to some other Transit-based motorhomes and campers. Other Trendscouts have 5500kg GTW, for some reason.

Brom

Have spoken to Dave Greenbank, who checked his records - the towbar was a Bosal (Dutch company, major manufacturer), the bar was fitted in July 08, and at that time, the cost was £130 for the towbar, £35 for the electrical stuff, £120 for labour, plus VAT.

Obviously, prices will have risen all round, as has VAT, but hopefully that should give you some idea of the likely costs involved.

Brom

brom - 2012-05-28 12:53 PM

...Be careful if you are wanting to tow anything heavy and check your GTW - some Trendscouts (not all), have just 4500kg GTW, which gives you just 1000kg towing capacity! The same applies to some other Transit-based motorhomes and campers. Other Trendscouts have 5500kg GTW, for some reason.

Brom

I believe all front-wheel drive Ford Transit-based motorhomes (coachbuilt or PVC) that use a platform-cab chassis have a maximum towing weight no greater than 1000kg.

Archived