Re Weights Query

Franco

Hi folks- just a query, please, re Axel weights. I have read previous threads, but I may have missed the point.

My Camper is a 2004 Compass Castaway.

The Engine compartmant contains 2 plates, as follows:

Fiat Plate AL-KO Plate

Maximum Gross Weight 3500 3850- so a payload increase of 350 Kgs??

Train Weight 5500 5500

Front Axel 1850 1850

Rear Axel 2120 2120

Should the increased payload of 350 Kgs not be reflected in an increased weight allowance to Axels 1or 2, (or indeed both)?

Sorry if this has this has been answered previously- I cannot find the answer, or maybe I am 'mixing up Apples and Oranges'.

Thanks again for replkies.

Franco

....no.

Whilst the upgrade can be applied to the MAM (maximum authorised mass, or GVW) without modification (a "paper" exercise), the maximum axle loadings remain the same.

On the Ducato Maxi (with 16 inch wheels) the uprated maximum of 3850kg, with original 1850/2120kg axle weights is the most common combination.

(which is why the oft-repeated advice occurs on here to check the actual axle weights before paying for the upgrade from 3500 to 3850kg, since, if you are already running close to a maximum axle weight, the "paper" upgrade is of little practical use).

Guest Tracker

Each axle load capacity remains the same as does the total load capacity of the two together at 3970 kg.

The 350 kg Alko uprate allows you to carry 350 kg more than before up to a maximum vehicle weight of 3850 kg instead of 3500 kg as long as the load on each axle does not exceed the total allowable for that axle.

As the total of 3970 kg only exceeds the maximum by 120 kg you may need to check each axle weight fully laden on a weighbridge but as long as the bulk of the load is between the axles and not in the rear overhang you should be OK.

OK, Robinhood, Tracker, thanks for that explanation. I appreciated that the payload was increased on foot of the AL-KO upgrade- done prior to retail stage, (I presume), but as you both point out, the exercise was a paper one, and the Axel weight-loads remain unchanged.

I recently got new Michelin Camping tyres, so my next course of action is to load the camper and get it weighed, including each axel separatel- hence my query.

Obliged again for the prompt replies.

Franco

Nowadays, motorhome manufacturers can be provided by Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot with just a cab section pre-fitted with attachment brackets for an Al-Ko rear chassis. The 3rd photo on the following link shows a pair of such cabs 'siamese twinned' together.

http://www.motorcaravanning.com/vehicles/base_vehicles.htm

Before this option became available a motorhome manufacturer wishing to build on an Al-Ko chassis first needed to purchase a complete chassis-cab unit from Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot. The chassis section to the rear of the cab was then removed and replaced by the Al-Ko chassis. This process was wasteful in terms of materials and time/effort.

There's a longish piece about Al-Ko chassis in John Wickersham's book "The Motorcaravan Manual" (or there is in my 2001 edition) including reference to the Al-Ko data-plate.

Archived