France... again!

Sparkle

I know I'm not posting much but I thought I would like to share a couple of French bits with you all.....

We bought a fabulous French Aires book, having looked at the Vicarious books and decided it was too late to order one just before our last venture back in April, I found one in a camping shop - also available at supermarkets.. although get one before they go, as they do tend to sell out! (Picture included)

It is 'Le Guide National des Aires de service' with they reckon 3000 aires, some camp-site ones, some paying, some free, some motorway etc etc.

You don't need much French to understand the basics, but there are no pictures. But we used it in our trip and found it very very useful, so I think well worth having.

Also we love a car boot sale..... and I have found it hard to track them down in France, but got a tip from the tourist office.....

http://brocabrac.fr

Is a fab website, just click on whichever region you are in and all the events come up.

SO... our next trip in a couple of week time (for 3.5 weeks) will be a car boot tour!

If anyone has any tips for aires or campsites which are riverside and free (or at least very cheap) around the Dordogne/Correze,/Lot /La Rochelle region it'd be appreciated as well....or any places which are not to be missed (done the Dordogne a couple of times and love it!

292280199_Francetripphone012.jpg.a2cac4f6bb15ecb74938f27ab41bf219.jpg

There are two main French-language 'aires' guides - the one you mention and the "Guide Officiel" booklet. The latter is marketed in the UK by Vicarious Books and shown here:

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Le-Guide-Officiel-Aires-Camping-Car-2012.html

It's a personal choice as to which publication is 'better', though the Guide Officiel is definitely bigger and the one I've always opted for.

Hi Derek

I did look at that one, but figured as we already have ones for Portugal and Spain, and a very good campsite book for Portugal (also ACSI card anyway) and I think the odds of us getting through France and onto other European countries (although we did make it to Italy the year before last) that it wouldn't be much good for us.

And with the crisis hitting we are trying to keep costs down as much as possible so the more places we find which are free the better! :-D :-D

We use the French Aires book (not Vicarious) and have done for the last 7 years. I think there are more Aires in this one than the Vicarious one but the latter has some great photos in. We tend to buy the French one every 2 years as they do change.

Guest pelmetman

Aaaaaah car boot sales ;-)

That explains where Bruce got the dodgy looking hat (lol) (lol)

We love car boot sales and enjoy the French (vide grenier) ones, although they don't compare to the UK ones as French ones tends to have loads more 'tat' and people ask silly money for stuff, however, it is still fun to mooch around and get the odd bargain. What I do like though is that they tend to last most of the day so you don't end up having to get round them by lunchtime as you do with UK ones.

Only problem with your website is that we would need internet access to be able to look at it as we never quite know where we are going in France until we hit the shore!!! :D

Hiya Mel

I've just cut and copied/pasted a few pages form the site for the weekends we are going to be there in the very rough locations (not literally I hope!!) that we might visit......... should we venture outside of these then we can almost certainly fix it so that at the weekends we are within one of the millions I have taken details of!!

While I agree the tat is better I think the price if quite good - certainly coming down in price which is about the only thing that we found cheaper!!

(lol)

Evening Sparkle :-D

Could I 'hi-jack' your thread for a minute ...

What do you do about internet access when away from home? I tried looking for a PAYG broadband sim but didn't find anything sensible ... they all seemed to be quite extortionate!

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-06-02 11:14 PM

Evening Sparkle :-D

Could I 'hi-jack' your thread for a minute ...

What do you do about internet access when away from home? I tried looking for a PAYG broadband sim but didn't find anything sensible ... they all seemed to be quite extortionate!

Get a 3G Kindle Mel ;-) ................As you will see the forum has not been lacking my input :D................for the past month (lol) (lol) (lol)

We both have contract phones and use smart phones with wifi - and only use the free wifi areas that a lot of cafes/McD's etc offer.... a lot of towns now offer a free wifi zone as well.

Usually campsites will have a pay wifi facility, but this can work out pricey, so we find especially as we tend to use the free aires or wildcamp that this system works best for us.

(lol)

Archived