What men really think

donna miller

Guest Tracker

I am sorry Donna - I didn't realise that I needed to explain to you what an exclamation mark signifies!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Tracker

I am sorry Donna - I didn't realise that I needed to explain to you what an exclamation mark signifies!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I frequently get accused of many heinous crimes on here but rarely is a lack of a sense of humour on of them!

Tracker - 2012-05-31 9:07 PM

I frequently get accused of many heinous crimes on here but rarely is a lack of a sense of humour on of them!

You know Rich, you seem to be developing a problem with just about everybody and everything that's said just lately, you used to be quite friendly and amicable but now you're behaving like an obnoxious old fart with nothing good to say about anything.

Your response wasn't humourous in the least, I also think somebody should explain to YOU what an exclamation mark signifies, so here you go.....

The exclamation mark is used to end a sentence or short phrase which expresses very stong feelings. For example: 1.that's fantastic!

2.Johnny, don't touch that!

3.help!

4.Good heavens!

Exclamation mark sentences normally begin with "what" or "how". an exclamation mark it can show that a statement is very surprising. For example

After week of work ,the scientists finally opened the tomb. It was empty!

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_an_exclamation_mark_mean#ixzz1wUIHpTvV

Absolutely nothing in there about it signifying a humerous response.

*-)

Guest Tracker

My understanding of an exclamation mark only goes back about about 55 years or so and according to the Oxford English dictionary one of it's uses is exactly as I use it. I will continue to do so when I find the comment amusing or it is designed to amuse others - maybe not the person to whom a response is addressed but certainly to some others - I think! - I believe that the OED has a greater stature than anyone else when it comes to the English language!

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/exclamation-mark

It is far from the truth to say that I have no sense of humour and if you chose to read my postings with a non antagonistic attitude you might possibly start to appreciate that much of what I say is very much tongue in cheek and often designed to encourage a response and debate both on or off the topic discussed. I believe that the whole point of a discussion is to get as many angles and views as possible rather than to impose one view on everybody - that's called politics!!

I always try to read other peoples postings with a humourous angle unless they constitute a direct accusation which is either untrue or based on a misunderstanding as I could often easily take offence at some of the comments that are aimed at me.

Some of the smoking banter has been a bit like that of late but I take the view that whatever is aimed my way is just banter and rhetoric with no hatred or malice intended either way.

For heavens sake, can't people just use a smiley to relate the sentiment of comments ... not just you Rich, but everybody!!!! *-)

That way people wouldn't take offence, get the wrong end of the stick etc, and life would be much more pleasant on the forum .... :->

Is that really too much to ask ????? :-S

Guest pelmetman

You mean like.............................. I have an erection!

Followed by I've got a headache!!.................... :D

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2012-06-02 8:49 PM

For heavens sake, can't people just use a smiley to relate the sentiment of comments ... not just you Rich, but everybody!!!! *-)

The English language has survived and evolved over hundreds of years and I am able to follow and understand most postings on here without silly little pictures so I fail to see why I should have to use smileys just to appease those who are unable to understand how the language works - so no, I will not be using smileys any time soon!!

Why can't people read the postings properly and then there would be no need for silly little symbols?

If I had to pick something for Room 101, it would be smileys and emoticons.

So am with Tracker on this one. Against for some of your others mind you!

If your post is not clear enough using the english language then you should consider rephrasing it rather than resorting to smileys. In my humble opinion of course!

For Mel B-)

If I had to pick something for Room 101 8-) , it would be smileys and emoticons. :'(

So am with Tracker on this one. >:-) Against for some of your others mind you! ;-)

If your post is not clear enough using the english language :-( then you should consider rephrasing (^) it rather than resorting to smileys. ;-) In my humble opinion of course! B-)

;-) ;-) ;-) :-D (lol)

Archived