Hook-up Adaptor - Right angled CEE

Uncle Bulgaria

These right-angled couplers are readily obtainable abroad, but don't seem to be popular in the UK.

Two sorts are available - a simple right-angled equivalent to the normal straight coupler, or a right-angled fitting with a Schuko 2-pin outlet socket. The latter allows external electrical equipment to be plugged into the coupler - for example, to permit a 230v TV to be used outside the leisure-vehicle beneath an awning or in a safari-room

This UK company

http://www.semlohelectrics.co.uk/

markets a range of 'hook up' fittings that include both types of right-angled couplers

http://www.semlohelectrics.co.uk/documents/Electrical/4%20-%20Mains%20Plugs%20&%20Couplers.pdf

A similar question was asked in 2011 here

http://www.caravanning4u.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-22432.html

I've only had 2 MH's, both very very old, so don't have a wide experience of different types of hookup sockets built into more modern MH's, but..............

On both of ours, the part attached to the MH was/is in a little recessed housing, with a top-hinged weather cover/flap, and most importantly, the actual connector is top-hinged and hangs DOWNWARDS. To connect, you lift the outer flap, draw the connector upwards a little, then plug in your "straight" EHU cable connector.

I've probably not explained it very well, but the key thing ( I'd thought) was that because it hangs downwards, any rain/washing hose jet spray etc would not get into it.

As you are after getting a 90 degree bend cable connector, are you saying that your side-of-van EHU connector sticks out horizontally rather than downwards facing?

If so, even assuming a weather-cover, isn't that potentially a water/moisture-ingress hazard?

Uncle Bulgaria - 2012-05-31 3:52 PM

Has anybody come across a UK (on-line) supplier of this connector?

http://www.powsolec.com/product/Hook-Up-adatpor-CEE-right-angle-adaptor-A61C.html

I saw one recently on a site in France. Very neat and enabled the hook-up cable to hang vertically so less vulnerable to being knocked.

Richard.

I have used one for years find your nearest City Electrical Factors you can get one from them

Alf

Would you have to keep an eye on whether it had enough "throw" to clear the edge of the socket housing?..

(..or is that what these angled plugs were designed for in the first place..? :$ )

..they'd certainly make a tidier job...

Bruce..

...Of the three vans we've had,on two, the plugs projected out,horizontally...

(...the other van had the socket inside the battery box.."caravan style"..)

alf - 2012-06-01 10:11 AM

http://www.powsolec.com/product/Hook-Up-adatpor-CEE-right-angle-adaptor-A61C.html

I saw one recently on a site in France. Very neat and enabled the hook-up cable to hang vertically so less vulnerable to being knocked.

Richard.

I have used one for years find your nearest City Electrical Factors you can get one from them

Alf

I searched the CEF product catalogue (using "trailing connector") but I couldn't locate a right-angled fitting.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-06-01 6:57 PM

Richard.

Alf

I searched the CEF product catalogue (using "trailing connector") but I couldn't locate a right-angled fitting.

Derek the product catalouge and their website is rubbish I will call at my local CEF and obtain a item code for you I have bought quite a few over the years for other van uses.

Alf

Another alternative to CEF.

As others have said, the angled plugs are not common in the UK.

Legrand (French) are generally recognised as being the producer of the biggest range of the CE Plugs & Sockets & their 16A 240V 2P+ E angled plug is Part No. 0520 62. (Plastic) & 0521 52 (Rubber)

So you could try any of the major Electrical Wholesalers to see if they stock them, However RS Components ( a good fallback for difficult to trace Electrical / Electronic components) do not list them & they are designed for heavy industrial use & I suspect much more expensive than that on your link.

The difference being -

How many would the Chinese require you to order ? a container load ?

How long would they last 8o|

Derek Uzzell - 2012-06-01 6:57 PM

Richard.

Alf

Derek I have been out to the van and looked at my 2 both are marked with the usual voltage and ampere range etc they are marked FW -- type 316306 this when used in an internt seach brings up similar products one being a range of plugs and sockets by Walther on page 18 of their calalouge is what seems to be an identical socket or coupler as some call them.

When CEF return to work next week I will post an update with more information

Alf

alf - 2012-06-01 10:19 PM

Derek I have been out to the van and looked at my 2 both are marked with the usual voltage and ampere range etc they are marked FW -- type 316306 this when used in an internt seach brings up similar products one being a range of plugs and sockets by Walther on page 18 of their calalouge is what seems to be an identical socket or coupler as some call them.

When CEF return to work next week I will post an update with more information

Alf

Thanks for doing that.

I eventually found the Semioh Electrics-marketed right-angled connector + Schuko socket (Part number J162) product being sold retail here

http://www.caravancampingsupplies.co.uk/rangled-caravan-coupler-with-schuko-1818-p.asp

and this trade-only company advertises both Semioh connectors (J161 & J162) on Page 55 of the following file

http://www.crusaderproducts.co.uk/files/ww/Electrical%20-%20Accessories.pdf

Much of the difficulty trying to identify UK outlets seems to be in defining what the products are normally referred to in this country.

I've no trouble finding them on French websites - Masters Accessoires's catalogue advertises the simple right-angled connector at €11.65 and the connector with the extra Schuko socket at €15.90, while Leader Loisirs has the latter at a bargain €8.20

http://www.leader-loisirs.com/fiche-raccordement-coudee-p-1680.html?osCsid=c600163a755c9d057d2a60c019e4ecfe

Derek the local CEF branch was open this morning and the manager confirmed the product is a Walther Angled Connector cat No 316306 he can order these as individual items

any problems and I will check cost and P & P

Alf

alf - 2012-06-02 12:25 PM

Derek the local CEF branch was open this morning and the manager confirmed the product is a Walther Angled Connector cat No 316306 he can order these as individual items

any problems and I will check cost and P & P

Alf

Thanks for confirming the details.

Page 8 in Walther catalogue

http://www.waltherelectric.com/PDFs/IEC/IEC_catalog.pdf

I'll leave it to 'Uncle Bulgaria" to progress this, as he was the person originally interested in identifying a UK supplier of this type of connector.

While appreciating that there's a certain neatness to having a hook-up cable hanging vertically down the side of the vehicle, I don't consider this is worth swapping a standard straight connector for a right-angled one. As BGD points out, a right-angled connector won't work with the type of hinged hook-up inlet he has had on his two motorhomes and straight connectors are tidier if multiple hook-up cables are to be linked together.

I can understand a person perhaps choosing to swap a straight connector for a right-angled connector + Schuko socket (though the Schuko socket would make it more likely that it would be a non-UK person), as this would increase versatility. As far as I'm aware made-up hook-up leads always come with straight connectors, so - unless one were DIY-ing up one's own hook-up cables - I can't see a convincing benefit in removing the standard straight connector to replace it with a (probably more expensive) basic right-angled connector.

They are also shown in the catalogue from Top Accessoires (www.top-accessoires.com) on page107. Part number 330751 at 14€. Description is, in French, Prise fiche repiquage femelle P17 à femelle Shuko.

J

lennyhb - 2012-06-06 10:41 PM

Not easy to get in UK, French accessory shop Ludospace stock them 9.4€ + 10€ shipping, I've stuff brought from them delivery was quick.

Lenny they are available at any City Electrical Factors branch in the UK as there are over 400.

I would think thats quite easy to get. and no delivery charge.

Alf

Derek we had had quite a few Autosleepers they use a fixed 16 amp electrical appliance intake when we ran a car as well as the van there was a 3 foot gap between both on the drive leaving the hook up lead in took a foot off this and caused an obstruction for such as the postman there was a bigger gap the other side of the car buy !!! so the 90 deg connector eliminated this problem and as I use a 5m and 15m lead I fitted them on both leads. The Dimension now has one of these floppy connectors but the angled connector works well with this type of appliance intake OK.

Alf

Guest ChrisB

lennyhb - 2012-06-06 10:41 PM

Lenny they are available at any City Electrical Factors branch in the UK as there are over 400.

I would think thats quite easy to get. and no delivery charge.

Just caught this thread - have also been looking for an adapator of this type.

Has anyone found out the price in UK?

BGD - 2012-06-01 8:49 AM

I've only had 2 MH's, both very very old, so don't have a wide experience of different types of hookup sockets built into more modern MH's, but..............

On both of ours, the part attached to the MH was/is in a little recessed housing, with a top-hinged weather cover/flap, and most importantly, the actual connector is top-hinged and hangs DOWNWARDS. To connect, you lift the outer flap, draw the connector upwards a little, then plug in your "straight" EHU cable connector.

I've probably not explained it very well, but the key thing ( I'd thought) was that because it hangs downwards, any rain/washing hose jet spray etc would not get into it.

As you are after getting a 90 degree bend cable connector, are you saying that your side-of-van EHU connector sticks out horizontally rather than downwards facing?

If so, even assuming a weather-cover, isn't that potentially a water/moisture-ingress hazard?

Bruce, you have explained this perfectly, it is exactly the fitting we have on our motorhome. The cable hangs down without any bend or stress.

Archived