Recommend a chill-out site near Calais

snobbyafghan

Most people seem to want a site near Calais as somewhere to bed downfor 1 night before/after a ferry trip. I'm looking for something close-ish (within 50 miles?) that is worth a stay of 2 or 3 nights for a bit of an unwind before starting off for Austria and Italy.

So, somewhere with enough about it (scenery, walks,coast, pleasant small town - any or all of those kind of features) to merit a few days stop.

Don't need swimming pool, games room, onsite club/restaurant etc.

Thanks,

Doug

Les Erables at Escalles just down from calais signed for cap blanc nez just go through village site on left just before coach park for Cap blanc nez ...lovely views over channel...coastal walks and just down the road from the monument.

Very helpful old french couple ...terraced pitches... facilities a bit basic but clean.

Very restful we booked in for 1 night and stayed 4!!!!

If you need to leave early for ferry or arrive late he wil open barrier for you.

They have an email address boutroy.les-erables@wanadoo.fr

well worth a visit!!! B-) B-)

Enjoy your trip B-)

....personally, I really dislike Le Bien Assise - IMO it's a bit like going to Blackpool, and has almost as many Brits. :-S (Maybe it was just a bad time on the one instance we used it, or maybe I was having a bad day, but we won't return. It also has the swimming pool, on-site restaurant etc. that the OP says he doesn't need, but the pricing reflects their presence).

Whilst it won't be in the right direction if you are travelling to Austria via Belgium and Germany, our favourite stopover (if more than one night) close to Calais is Le Fontaine des Clercs at Montreuil sur Mer (which just about hits the 50 mile criterion).

http://www.campinglafontainedesclercs.fr/

It is under the town walls at Montreuil, which provide a good leisurely stroll round in good weather, has enough bars and restaurants in the town to suit most tastes, and they are an easy walk away (especially if you find the "secret" tunnel under the walls at the top of the site!)

Facilities are basic but quite acceptable, and if your unit is of low enough profile to get under the archway, (my Rapido A-class fitted) the pitches down near the river are delightful.

Guest JudgeMental

I was there the other weekend on my own, on way back from Spain..And had a very average meal with drinks..50€ .....Yep, that was £40 for one person. After Spain, France seems very overpriced in all respects except for Aires and municipals*-)

still nice site nearest to Calais I think (begrudgingly)

Whilst it won't be in the right direction if you are travelling to Austria via Belgium and Germany, our favourite stopover (if more than one night) close to Calais is Le Fontaine des Clercs at Montreuil sur Mer (which just about hits the 50 mile criterion).

It is under the town walls at Montreuil, which provide a good leisurely stroll round in good weather, has enough bars and restaurants in the town to suit most tastes, and they are an easy walk away (especially if you find the "secret" tunnel under the walls at the top of the site!)

Facilities are basic but quite acceptable, and if your unit is of low enough profile to get under the archway, (my Rapido A-class fitted) the pitches down near the river are delightful.

Agree - stayed their last year - lovely un-assuming site & we had a very acceptable lunch in the square at a local restaurant. But why is it Montreuil Sur Mer? the sea is miles away? perhaps the French equivalent of Rye?

JudgeMental - 2012-06-01 9:02 PM

I was there the other weekend on my own, on way back from Spain..And had a very average meal with drinks..50€ .....Yep, that was £40 for one person. After Spain, France seems very overpriced in all respects except for Aires and municipals*-)

still nice site nearest to Calais I think (begrudgingly)

.....we often do an overnight stop close to Calais either before or after the ferry, and (IMO) there are much better and cheaper options.

laimeduck - 2012-06-01 9:09 PM

Agree - stayed their last year - lovely un-assuming site & we had a very acceptable lunch in the square at a local restaurant. But why is it Montreuil Sur Mer? the sea is miles away? perhaps the French equivalent of Rye?

.....indeed. AFAIK, at one time the town was, in a similar manner, just about "Sur Mer".

davanne - 2012-06-01 8:28 PM

Les Erables at Escalles just down from calais signed for cap blanc nez just go through village site on left just before coach park for Cap blanc nez ...lovely views over channel...coastal walks and just down the road from the monument.

Very helpful old french couple ...terraced pitches... facilities a bit basic but clean.

Very restful we booked in for 1 night and stayed 4!!!!

If you need to leave early for ferry or arrive late he wil open barrier for you.

They have an email address boutroy.les-erables@wanadoo.fr

well worth a visit!!! B-) B-)

Enjoy your trip B-)

Yes Ive stayed there a couple of times. I think it was about €10 with EHU. Cracking little place and a lovely area. We also wild camped up on the Cap but it was a bit exposed when it got windy.

Guest ChrisB

A little further south but for many years we used a small campsite on a farm nearer Boulogne.

First stop from the ferry, then a couple of days stay for shopping on return (close to the Saint-Martin shopping complex).

The site closed about 4 years ago (M. Bertin and wife getting on in years) but I have just noticed that it appears to have re-opened last year:

http://www.lemanoirdesenlecques.com/

Has anyone stayed recently? And if so does it still have the same quirky layout and friendly atmosphere?

JudgeMental - 2012-06-01 2:46 PM

Le ben assise, at Guines about 10 minutes from Calais

Sad to say but we used this site for a few years until 2005 when we stayed there with our caravan/campervan unit (long story - don't ask!) and had the campervan broken into. Fortunately, we were using the caravan part and nothing had been left in the motorhome but still had to deal with the damage to the drivers door lock.

Have been using this site when we were needing to stay over two nights to get the dog vetted:

www.campinglachaumiere.com/

which is north of St Omer and has good facilities, a restaurant and a small village nearby.

David

Guest JudgeMental
Hi David...yes I have heard of thefts from this site before, sign of the times I'm afraid. I always lock and alarm van even if just going to shower block *-)

Archived