Omnistor Bike-Rack Box Question

Robinhood

I'm considering purchasing a box for the bike rack, so that I can make enough space in the garage to carry both bikes, yet have accessible storage for some of the bulky but light items that currently live "inside".

The design of the Hobby factory bike rack means that any box (at least those of a relevant height), can't butt up against the vertical arms of the rack, since the crossbar on which the bike holders normally fit is shaped, and stands slightly forward, and proud of these (obstructing the positioning of the box against the verticals).

The standard means of fastening the Fiamma version of the Bike-Rack boxes includes bracketing to these verticals (the fitting instructions are easily downloadable).

The Omnistor version, however, looks like it may be bolted simply to the base of the bike-rack. (The instructions are not easily found/downloadable since the Thule take-over - I can only find broken links). This would do for me, as the back of the box would still butt on to solid rack, but it would be the crossbar, not the verticals.

Does anyone have a copy of the instructions for the Omnistor Bike-Rack box(es), or indeed, have one fitted, that could give me some idea of the recommended mounting?

I'm probably not the bloke to be replying because we've only ever had a Fiamma rack/box..but looking at this ad,the Omnistor kit they show,*appears* to fix/fit in a similar way to the Fiamma we had(..butted into a corner)..

http://www.omnistorawnings.co.uk/department/carry_all_box/

Even if they did only fix the box through the base,personally I'd still want to be using some fixings high up the back face of the box,even using tidy tubed spacers,to bridge any gap to the frame uprights,if needs be...

Thanks, Pepe; I'd seen the diagrams (particularly of the optional frame, which implies a "verical" bolt-through - but this would be absolutely required if there was no frame there already).

I also agree with the feeling that some higher location than the base might be required, but I was simply trying to work out my options.

It may all be a little academic anyway, as the desire was prompted by the purchase of two new electric bikes - but, having picked them up today, the larger of the two is going to be a tight fit in the garage anyway, so it will probably be back to the current practice of one on the rack, and one in the garage.

Guest JudgeMental

what e bikes did you get Robin?

That box looks a right pain to load...we used to have a westfalia bag about the same size, that fastened onto bike rack, you just filled it from top.

.....a couple of Kalkhoff impulse drive ones (his n'hers).

Made the mistake of testing these before others, and everything else appeared (was) substandard.

You could have a good holiday on the discount I negotiated, never mind the total cost. :-|

Guest JudgeMental
I think you should have tried Bosch powered bikes as well, stronger performance and lighter. not stretched wheelbase either as battery in frame, so they fit normal bike rack......

....we tried the Kalkhoff bikes first as I managed to get an appointment at Loughborough before those for the other bikes.

I tried the Wisper directly afterwards on a good, multi-terrain route, and frankly was disappointed, in comparison, with both the "feel" of the bike, and the build quality. We then didn't bother with the Freego bikes that were next on the list, as reviews for these were generally worse than for the Wisper.

Having looked long and hard at the Kalkhoff range, the riding characteristics of the impulse drive models, (the assistance feels just such, the bike doesn't "take control", and the power delivery is smooth and matched with the pedalling rate), combined with a range on the larger battery which would allow several days of medium-distance use without a recharge, sold them to us. (Range had always been an issue, since we're quite happy to do 30-40 miles on an unassisted bike - but getting less willing to do so as tempus fugits. ;-) )

They are quite heavy (but actually, not much more so than the Wisper), but it gives them a solid feel that beats even my trusty old Trek mountain bike.

I've just got back from a 20-odd mile ride through mixed terrain, and feel entirely happy with my choice. Since bringing them home yesterday, we've done just under 30 "mixed" miles on them, and both are showing over 75% battery still left - so it's looking good so far.

Haven't got any problem with the length and bike-rack - part of the discount negotiated was that instead of delivering, I would pick them up. They came home with the 'van - one in the garage, and one on the rack.

Guest JudgeMental

Just really for the benefit of anyone else looking in. Bosch powered bikes have been in short supply since there release in Germany 2011.Due to their popularity, not many made it over here and I had to order ours from Germany. About 40 + major European manufacturers have adopted the Bosch drive,,,reason being it is the best crankdrive system out there for now....

There are at present about 6 different makes of bikes featuring Bosch drives available in UK, from the likes of KTM, Haibike, BH Emotion, Scott, Cannondale, Corratec etc..

At least you should try one if in the market for a decent light weight e bike :-D

....just a quick update on the bikes, in case anyone was interested.

As stated, range was one of the main criteria for buying the Kalkhoff Impulse Drive cycles. (they come with a "big" battery, and the build quality and general feel was better than others).

Between the showers, we've now done just over 60 miles on the first charge. Both are showing over 30% battery left, so if the measurement really is linear, we're looking at up to 90 miles real-life use between charges; which is at least as good as expected.

Riding is actually a very enjoyable experience, with the "assistance" being just that. Plenty of exercise over those 60 miles; not effortless, but a smoothing out of both hills and wind resistance.

I think we're going to enjoy these bikes.

Also tried both bikes on the roofrack bike carriers with no problem.

Guest JudgeMental

Bosch charger

100% charge: 2.5 hrs

90% charge; 1.5 hrs

most ebikes 4-8 hrs and some all night

......It all sounds like a load of bos©h to me! ;-)

How long it takes to recharge depends very much on the capacity (and, by association the range).

Most of the Bosch-powered bikes I've seen have half the battery capacity of mine (hence, roughly half the range and half the charging time, all other things being equal) ;-)

As long as it recharges (partially or fully) in the time I'm not riding it, I'm quite happy.

Alternatively, if I can't charge it (due to being sans hook-up), the greater the capacity the better.

Horses (or bikes ;-) )for courses M'Lud.

Archived