Croatia

regency

Hi folks.

Just starting to plan a 6 week trip to Croatia. End of August through to September. Have not been before so any useful tips on routes or recommendations of campsites would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

Guest JudgeMental

we were there last year and going again this summer..Try the forum "search" function at top of the page? loads of stuff on Croatia.....

we are heading for Krk island (Baska in south lovely town) then island hopping our way down..

• 2 weeks later...

We had a 3 week holiday to Croatia 5 years ago. We enjoyed much of it but not sure we will return. We found it reasonably expensive, the food wasn't special and the beaches not ideal for our young boy - we couldn't find any sandy ones - they were predominantly rocky and bays close to towns filled with granite chips which were ok to walk on but not fun to lie on - they would pierce the foam sleeping mat we used when kneeling.

On the plus side, Dubrovnic is beautiful and Split fascinating.

Watch out for the strong winds - particularly later in September as the sea gets colder and the land remains warm.

We also went to Bosnia - we found it amazing and would be happy to spend longer looking around. The people were generally very friendly and there is a lot to see. Mostar is great to visit but as with parts of Croatia, they have too many tourists to bother with wonderful customer service.

Guest JudgeMental

There are a few sandy beaches, mostly a mixture of shingle and sand, but you have to do your home work and find them..... The water is crystal clear in the south.

Baska a lovely sea side resort with nice beach. personally lying on the sand is the last thing I want to be doing. we bring chairs and wear beach/water shoes.

I agree the food not up to much, much prefer Italy. my pet hate is the smoking in restaurants though

I'd really recommend the Peljesac Peninsula. In particular we enjoyed Ston and Autocamp Denka at Loviste right at the end of the Peninsula.

If you do get that far south Montenegro is well worth a visit too, the Bay of Kotor is well worth seeing.

Here's a link to one of our Croatia posts from our blog:

http://www.theworldisourlobster.com/The_World_Is_Our_Lobster/Latest/Entries/2010/5/28_38_Montenegro.html

Enjoy your trip.

Chris

Hi Brian,

We only had third party cover which we bought at the border.

Our German and French friends are amazed at how many countries are excluded by UK insurers but which are covered automatically by their policies

Chris

Lobster - 2012-06-18 7:40 AM

Hi Brian,

We only had third party cover which we bought at the border.

Our German and French friends are amazed at how many countries are excluded by UK insurers but which are covered automatically by their policies

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yep, the Dutch also get access to a far wider range of countries than we do. Annoying, isn't it! :-D

We are insured with the Caravan club, when I rang to enquire about something else I also asked about othe countries which were covered and I was given to understand that if we wanted to travel to Montenegro and othersuch countries they could be included for the length of our trip if this sis of any hjelp to you

Guest JudgeMental

Looks like our tour is now delayed slightly and in reverse :-D starting at Lake Garda, down to Tuscany/Umbria then over on ferry to Croatia and back up island hopping + Pitvick lakes. Cant wait.....

I hope it will be nicer to travel later then we usually do... august/sept instead of july/august

Archived