Calypso Comfort

whbs

Before changing to a A/S Nuevo based on the Sevel i had for several years an Autohomes Merlin which was underpinned by a VW T4. Distance does add some perspective but i do remember the very soft ride of the T4. It seemed to 'sway and roll 'around every corner.Poor road surfaces were not the problem that you encounter with the Peugeot (55/60TP) it detects every pot hole and the ride is very firm.Perhaps the engine sound is a little greater from the Peugeot but the engine although more modern is smaller.The well documented wind noise from the cabin doors at 55/60mph would never had been acceptable to the VW design team. Air circulation/heater/instrumentation on both is reasonable. I far prefer the driving position and mirrors of the Sevel but then i am not that tall. NM

We had 2 calypso's (10 years between them) before buying a Nuevo and probably would have bought another one if they still made them. I thought the ride handling and driveability of the VW was very good although I prefer the caravan bit of the Nuevo. My ideal would be a T5 based Nuevo. If you buy a Calypso I don't think you will be disappointed

I have never had a Calypso but when first looking for a motorhome it was one of the models I tested. I drove for part of the test and then spent some time in the rear. I have to say I thought the ride was dreadful - it handled more like a boat than a motorhome with quite a lot of roll. It was a T4 model but this would have been eight years ago. As I looked at the outside it did seem to be quite tall and narrow for the chassis which probably explained the swaying motion. Good luck with the search Regards, david

My recollection of contemporary magazine test reports of VW T4-based Compass Calypsos was that excellent ride comfort was always praised and sway on cornering was always criticised. Pretty much inevitable really with a softly sprung, independently suspended chassis providing the comfort but, linked to a short wheelbase and relatively large body, also contributing to roly-poly handling. I was told by one Calypso owner that M.A.D. rear spring-assisters helped considerably in counteracting the roll without compromising the comfort too much.

Thank you very much to all who replied. I will seriously consider a Calypso now - if I can find a good recent one! This forum is fantastic - I never fail to be impressed at the friendly help given. Bill

Final postscript. Found a three and a half year old model and tested it. Found the ride very soft and it did sway a lot, but was supremely comfortable. I can put up with the sway provided the bumps are ironed out - and they are. Have bought it!

Archived