Views on AS (Windrush) reversing camera

Guest machra

Guest machra
At Newbury I saw several Auto Sleeper PVCs (especially Windrush models) with a small reversing camera fitted, complete with an 'over rear view mirror' monitor. Camera was a very neat little thing about an inch long by an inch wide. Are there any AS owners out there willing to share their experiences of such a camera please as I am looking at buying a camera having just fitted a towbar with the intention of buying a Thule towbar mounted cycle rack.

Hi machra

We haven't got an Autosleeper but we do have a reversing camera and rear-view mirror type monitor, we got it off Ebay and it works extremely well, cost us around £50-£60, but that was a few years ago, probably around £70-£80 now. Ours is a cable system and we just got some extra cable and put it in ourselves ... the most 'worrying' part (for my hubby at least!) was when I was attaching the camera to the rear of our camper! I attached it to the bottom edge of the high-level brake light housing and then fed the cables (power and video) through a small hole drilled behind the housing and sealed it well with waterproof silicone (that way the hole is protected from the weather to prevent water ingress). The video cable was fed along the cupboards on the inside to the corner, then down some existing trunking, out through the bottom of the garage then under the van to the front and fed into the cab, along the A pillar, along the top of the windscreen to the mirror (under the plastic covers). The power cable was taken along to the dash and then into the compartment infront of the driver where there is a 12v socket. As the camera is angled downwards on the high-level brake light housing, rather than upright on the rear panel itself, we had more adjustment to be able to get it 'just right' for us.

We did meet someone who had bought a rear view system (dash mounted monitor) which was wireless and he said he didn't have any problems with it so you may be able to get away with a wireless set-up rather than a cable one.

Archived