DFDS Ferry re Motorhome gas system

thomsonjr

.....whilst there has been some recent discussion about the limits on various carriers and routes, with your setup, you should be OK.

Extracted from the Ts&Cs for that particllar DFDS Route

Passenger Vehicle Fares

The prices advertised only apply to private passenger accompanied vehicles and trailers containing personal items as normally required for holidays or personal visits. Carriage of gas bottles and petrol: a maximum of 2 x 11 kg gas bottles (disconnected and turned off) and only 1 purpose-made petrol-can per motor vehicle (max 23.litres / 5 gallons) is allowed.

below is a reply I received on 20th May 2012 from DFDS. My question to them was for both the Newcastle and Dunkirk routes.

Good Morning

The new guidelines for carrying gas cylinders on our ferries are:

Carriage of gas bottles and petrol: a maximum of 47 kg gas bottles (disconnected and turned off) and only 1 purpose-made petrol-can per motor vehicle (max 23.litres / 5 gallons) is allowed.

Kind Regards

Arlene Harper

UK Seaways Travel Sales/Arlene Harper

Customer Sales and Service

T: 0871 522 9976

-------------------------------------------

DFDS Seaways

International Passenger Terminal

North Shields

NE29 6EE

Gas bottles "disconnected and turned off" I don't think so. Turned off yes, but disconnected??

I've only ever used the chunnel once and the gas was checked it was turned off on both legs of the trip.

On ferries I've never ever had my gas locker checked for gas mass, or whether its turned off or not, and certainly not disconnected, and neither have I seen anyone else being checked. Every damn thing else checked, but never gas.

Guest JudgeMental

OMG! OMG we are all going to die!

Do DFDS look? not in my experience...Tunnel do though to make sure turned of.

We have used the Newcastle - Ijmuiden crossing for several years now with our motorhome(s) & have never been asked about the gas cylinders in our van. You are likely to get stopped going through the Tyne Tunnel though.

We have been searched, asked 'did you pack this vehicle yourselves' and of course the classic 'Are you carrying knives?', to which we truthfully replied 'yes, we have a drawer full of cutlery including knives'.

On that occasion the lady shrugged her shoulders, smiled, & waved us on.....

JudgeMental - 2012-06-07 6:02 PM

OMG! OMG we are all going to die!

Do DFDS look? not in my experience...Tunnel do though to make sure turned of.

I suspect that the original question may have been raised exactly because DFDS do check (at least sometimes), and then enforce the "rule".

There was a recent letter (February's MMM) detailing the experience of someone who had to leave a full 13kg bottle behind them before being allowed to embark. This was because the limit was stated by DFDS as being the 2x11kg I posted above, and the writer in question was carrying 1x13kg. (the limit was applied striclty to the maximum size of cylinder, not to the aggregate contents). Luckily they had enough time to swap for a 6kg bottle locally!

Norfolk Line (even in its current DFDS guise), has different, less onerous conditions.

I have travelled on DFDS to Holland for a number of years and it was after reading the letter posted in February. My letter to them asked what the limits were, however I did not ask what the maximum size of the cylinder was.

I asked them the gas I could carry on both routes and the reply did not state the size of any cylinder. Like others I have never been asked to show the cylinders or confirm they were turned off or disconnected.

Thanks for all this info. As an aside, Broc - if you have used the Newcastle-Ijmuiden route before do you have a good route for a Motorhome down to the South of France. We are going round in circles looking at all the options. We are travelling from Newcastle on 17th June and will take 8/9 days to travel down to the Perpignan area.

Gleber

just because the ferry companies dont appear to check your gas on loading,they do check for hot fridge vents on the outside,i have been on boat where drivers were called back down to turn gas off,quite rightly i think,safety must be paramount,we find a fully packed freezer is still frozen 48 hours later,its cold in them there holds!!!

thomsonjr - 2012-06-08 10:26 AM

Thanks for all this info. As an aside, Broc - if you have used the Newcastle-Ijmuiden route before do you have a good route for a Motorhome down to the South of France. We are going round in circles looking at all the options. We are travelling from Newcastle on 17th June and will take 8/9 days to travel down to the Perpignan area.

Gleber

Sorry, I cannot offer any advice, we have not made the trek to southern France. We generally spend our time in Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Italy (I like lakes & mountains) so we tend to use the Dutch & German motorway network to head south from Ijmuiden via Venlo & Koblenz.

You can follow the Mosel from Koblenz towards Luxembourg & fill up with very cheap diesel there ....we did that when we visited the Vosges mountains.

Brian

Archived