Night-Stops @ Motorway Services/Aires In France

Frank McAuley

PeteH - 2012-06-07 8:31 PMHiThe one time Partial answer was to choose the Service area`s on TOLL roads.

I remember reading a while ago of a motorhoming couple who stopped overnight on a toll motorway in Portugal. After resuming their journey in the morning and arriving at the toll booth, they were presented with a huge bill...something like a couple of hundred euros, if my memory serves.

For some reason the toll rockets if you stop overnight. Perhaps someone can explain the reasoning?

• 2 weeks later...

hi

I reiterate my OWN experience of France particularly, and that is IN WINTER when we used to "transit" a large number of sites and Aires (even where advertised as "open") where Closed! And the problem was that the SPANISH ferries where taken out of service for "Annual Survey" at that time of year!! leaving the Month of January, with little option but to drive through France.

Not such a problem "in season". and I suggest that the use of sites is a probable "best bet".

I can Thoroughly Recommend "Park Verger" nr Limousin as a Great "halt" (and even longer!!

Bob and Di are real nice people, and thoroughly deserve support!!

Pete

bob b - 2012-06-12 11:32 PM

PeteH - 2012-06-07 8:31 PMHiThe one time Partial answer was to choose the Service area`s on TOLL roads.

I remember reading a while ago of a motorhoming couple who stopped overnight on a toll motorway in Portugal. After resuming their journey in the morning and arriving at the toll booth, they were presented with a huge bill...something like a couple of hundred euros, if my memory serves.

For some reason the toll rockets if you stop overnight. Perhaps someone can explain the reasoning?

See warning at top of Page 11 of following filehttp://www.camperstop.co.uk/pdf/Intro_all_the_aires_spain.pdf"Portuguese toll motorways are restricted to 12 hours access and are recorded on the ticket. Exceeding this time could result in a fine."Presumably the time limit is to discourage 'travellers' from treating motorway rest-areas as campsites.

Wherever you stop whether on site, aire or just by the side of the road for a ten minute break.

Don,t leave anything of value on show. At night hide everything away don't do like most people do and throw your wallet, watch etc on the nearest table or seat. Last year ten units were robbed in the night on the Chartes site. A mix of motor homes,caravans and tents. The MH and vans all had their habitation windows opened and everything of value within reaching distance was taken.

Dogs are little or no deterent, the German couple next to me had a dog and this did not raise the alarm so quiet were the thieves.

So hide valuables away preferably somewhere where thieves can not get at them without moving you.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-06-26 7:41 AM
bob b - 2012-06-12 11:32 PM

See warning at top of Page 11 of following filehttp://www.camperstop.co.uk/pdf/Intro_all_the_aires_spain.pdf"Portuguese toll motorways are restricted to 12 hours access and are recorded on the ticket. Exceeding this time could result in a fine."Presumably the time limit is to discourage 'travellers' from treating motorway rest-areas as campsites.
Does this apply in France ?

Archived