Super Treads?

pepe63xnotuse

Has anyone on here ACTUALLY used any of these in anger on a FWD MH? :-S

http://www.mudpaddles.com/shop/page/5?shop_param=

..it's just that the video shows the "mudpaddles" being demo'd on Sprinter(looks unladen),which has about 6inches of wheel arch clearance.. *-)...

(..I don't really want to get drawn into the old ..."don't get stuck in the first place.." / "..Use bread trays.." / "..walk the route.." / "..in 40 years of MHing,I've never got stuck.." blah blah..." ;-) )

The "super-treads" look interesting, but to my mind are way overpriced.

If they were 20 quid for four, instead of 20 quid for just two, I reckon a LOT of people might give them a try.

Not sure about Renault, but the issue on Sevel is clearance between brake caliper and wheel, there is no way the straps can be fitted without hitting caliper as wheel rotates. I would guess this applies to most FWD thats why they are shown on a Sprinter.

I have a few ideas of a suitable design which I hope to test later this year. Bet they would have sold well at Peterborough.

Guest Tracker

It sounds good in theory but if the ground is wet or sticky one will get wet and very sticky fitting them and heaven alone knows what getting them off again will be like when they have spun round, collected loadsa mud and stretched, tightened and/or distorted the nylon fixing strap?

Then you have to consider whether the wheels will still clear the wheel arches when they are turned for steering and the suspension compressed when the van rocks or drives over a bump?

I'm not saying they won't work but like the OP I would prefer to see someone else's personal experience before parting with my credit card details?

As is all too common with mail order £7.50 postage seems a bit strong unless you buy several?

Guest Tracker
euroserv - 2012-06-07 4:30 PM

Why would you want 4 of them if you only have 2 driven wheels?

Besides that, if they work, stainless steel is not cheap. I think they are not bad value. If they work.

Nick

Wouldn't you fit them on both driven wheels - or just the one that you think most likely to slip - and let Soddes law then determine that they are on the wrong wheel?

Tracker - 2012-06-07 4:39 PM

Besides that, if they work, stainless steel is not cheap. I think they are not bad value. If they work.

Nick

Wouldn't you fit them on both driven wheels - or just the one that you think most likely to slip - and let Soddes law then determine that they are on the wrong wheel?

Exactly-both drive wheels-so why would you need 4? Isn't that what he's saying? be a bit pointless on the back wheels with a front wheel drive!

Mike

PS Maybe you could put the other two on the A-Frame?! :-D

If they want to sell these for motorhomes surely it is for them to try them on a Sevel van rather than expect the customer to decide whether it is suitable, at least for standard steel wheels.

This condition would certainly worry me:

Step 5. Check that you are happy with the conditions of sale i.e. that the user is responsible in the unlikely event that any injury or damage is caused whilst using the product.

JamesFrance - 2012-06-07 5:00 PM

If they want to sell these for motorhomes surely it is for them to try them on a Sevel van rather than expect the customer to decide whether it is suitable, at least for standard steel wheels.

This condition would certainly worry me:

Step 5. Check that you are happy with the conditions of sale i.e. that the user is responsible in the unlikely event that any injury or damage is caused whilst using the product.

See post 3, they don't fit an x250 with steel wheels. They might fit some FWD with alloys, depends on where the 'slots' are.

Sorry I haven't responded before now

(...we've been away for the weekend..)

..as well as clearance,my concern with these type of "aids",is what happens if/when you clack something solid...something is going to give..and we can all imagine the damage that could be done to brake lines/calipersetc, if one of these came adrift... :-S

I was just curious to see how they worked in "real life"... ;-)

Nick

I'd want 4 of them because, as they admit themselves in the video, two per driven wheel work MUCH better than one per driven wheel, and the law of Sod states that both your driven wheels will be in deep mud/sludge/snow...so if one grips, the other will likely spin.

Stainless steel? I wonder if you've been looking at their other product, the paddle type thingy, and not the super-treads ones that I'm referring to?

Archived