oil filter, 2008 Compass Avantguard 145. 2.2 HDI.

athiest

Hi, I need to do an oil change on the above but cannot find the filter. Can anyone direct me too drawings of a "breakdown" of this engine. I only intend the oil change so do not want to buy an Haynes or any other manual. Cheers.

Guest Tracker

Without wishing to be unkind - if you can't find the oil filter on any engine do you consider yourself competent to carry out an oil change?

There are other aspects of a service which ought to be carried out or checked at the same time - are you aware of what they are and are you able to do them competently?

As it is a Compass van it's probably a Peugeot Bruce and by way of a clue it's very likely in the same place that the oil filter is on my van!

The engine is in the title of the thread..145 2.2 HDI so must so must be a Peugoet.

Suspect it is an oil cartridge (nice old fashioned filter) rather than all in one canister and you are looking for a canister type and looking right past it.

Believe it or not I really "was" quite a competent mechanic who has in my long life stripped and rebuilt a mini engine and gearbox, the same with an austin maxi, sierra,& fiesta. At this time I am finishing a 27 year rebuild of an 1970 MGBGT. My advanced age combined with quite a few aches and pains when stooping makes it quite hard to get into the cramped confines of the boxer engines confined space. I have been under the engine and looked into the top but have been unable to spot the oil filter, hence my request on this site. Just thought that the normally very helpful people on this forum may save me some more pain. This 145 is the 2.2. Peugeot. Thanks "A"

I believe it is front left of the engine block and hangs down from a heat exchanger assembly. It is a replaceable filter element inside a bowl which is quite shallow, probably why it is not obvious. It is quite a small filter.

Thanks Brambles, and all who tried to help. Will look in the morning. Thanks all again. "Tracker," the van has only done 3000 miles since it's last service. I just like to try to make sure that I am doing my part to keep the van running as smoothly as I can. hopefully it does not require any other service parts replaced. "A"

Guest Tracker

My sincere apologies Atheist - your posting gave no clue as to your undoubted abilities and we do get some odd folks on here from time to time wanting to do things far beyond their own abilities!

PS - I too have rebuilt most of the engines / transmissions you have quoted - also a darned long time ago!

Just looked at the picture again I posted...is it a view of underneath the vehicle so its easy to get to and does indeed point down. ....makes sense now, and means draining canister is easy as just need an oil tray below it. I know the 2.0 Hdi inside out but never actually seen a 2.2 so was just going by the workshop manual and spare parts list.

Be careful when filling with oil, it is easy to overfill as they are slow to register on dip stick or dashboard and about 1 to 1.5 liters old oil remains in the engine so the new oil will turn black almost straight away.

Hi all, - Brambles, had me going there, looked from the top as your' first post, looked nothing like that. Looked again after your' last post, there is a black plastic cone shaped device with the word "filter" on it so I must assume that this is it. It has as part of the plastic a nut shape about 17mm with two what look like push in lugs which do not seem to do anything at the base of the nut. The whole lot looks very easily destroyed if any force is used in the wrong way. So I must ask for your advice again about the correct way that it is removed. I would imagine that it is unscrewed in an anti clockwise direction.Obviously I will not blame you if I wreck it. -- Tracker- you are always there whenever anyone needs help. The correct information from the person needing help would avoid any misunderstandings. Thanks to all who try to help on this site. "A"

I shall check the workshop manual again and see what ot says. A simila one I have undone also looked easily damaged but is surising tough made of glass filled Noryl. I would use a hex socket on it not a 12 pointed socket. Possibly a wall drive socket would be ok as well. ( thats the sockets with the rounded lopes inside) Let me check and will post back shortly as interested in finding out what these lugs are you mentioned.

Well, thats not much use, it says remove using a suitable tool! Also checked special tools list and nothing listed for filter removal. Then I checked torques and again nothing listed for tightening torque or even for the 2.2 sump plug. ( sump plugs are easy, use a new copper/fibre crush washer and tighten up until it just pinches tight.)

The lugs are for holding the housing in the removal tool so you can use tool to hold and tip out the old oil. I would be inclined to try putting on a rubber glove. A nice marigold pinched from the good lady, and try and grip the bowl itself. It should not be tight and uses a O ring I suspect for the sealing.

621934190_oilfilthousing2.2.jpg.1b74251ca8117c4e3494b1280c782146.jpg

Hi Brambles, that is the device that I had seen. I will try to remove it with my hands first, though with the usual old git's athritus I may have to resort to the tools. Cheers again for your' patience and time. Catch you later. "A"

Hi Atheist, Brambles is spot on with identifying the oil filter but you won't be able to undo it with just your hands. I believe the nut part is 27mm AF. Once you've loosened it slowly unscrew it till the O ring becomes visible, at this point oil will start to run out as there is a hole in the side of the plastic housing just above the O ring, turn the filter bowl till this is at the lowest point. I generally leave them to drain at that till they've stopped and then carefully unscrew them the rest of the way. The filter cartridge is clipped in and can be quite tough to remove so you definitely need to be wearing strong rubber gloves, I prefer nitrile ones which you should be able to buy a box of from your local motor factors.

D.

Hi again, needed the tools but it loosened nicely. Had to tighten it back up to run the engine up to temp. The engine is draining until tomorrow will change the filter then. Thanks again. Hope I can be as helpful to someone else as you lot are. Just read your' post Dave. Thanks for the input. Every little helps. "A"

Archived