Switzerland -special regs etc...?

snobbyafghan

So, we're booked on the ferry for 7.30 tomorrow with the vague idea of ambling down to Venice. This morning, I though it'd be quite nice to go via Switzerland. Then it occurs to me, er....they're not in the EU.

Currency..? Swiss Franc - need some of them, then. But what about other unique requirements, particularly to do with vehicles...?

Are there any...?

Doug

......only one comes to mind.

If you plan to use the motorways you will need a vignette. As they are only available in an Annual version, they are not cheap, but not prohibitive (AFAIK still CHF40). (If you are towing you will also need one for the towed vehicle).

Note, however, that if your 'van is over 3500kg, you will (alternatively; i.e. you will not also need the vignette) require "HGV" paperwork to use any Swiss roads. For most people passing through for a shortish time, this is cheaper than the vignette, as it is available (subject to a minimum) to purchase by day.

Both are available at the border stations, though there may be queues. Don't be discouraged if you need the"over 3500kg" version, the customs officers are very efficient.

On my visits to Switzerland, I've found that many places would take payment in Euros. A recent thread on here has inidicated that this is widespread. I don't know that I would want to rely on it, however - I've always changed some money into CHF.

Guest JudgeMental

I think the Swiss Vignette not bad value, excellent roads, and you dont pay extra for Gottard tunnel ...You go via France and see what it costs *-)

You can pay for vignette in € and campsites also, eating out use a card...or get a few francs to keep you going

Guest JudgeMental
snobbyafghan - 2012-06-10 1:20 PM

Thanks for advice. We also considered goiung further east and going through Austria...

I can see us parked just off the ferry still trying to decide which way to go...!

Doug

we did that last year and will probably again this year.....

JudgeMental - 2012-06-10 1:41 PM

snobbyafghan - 2012-06-10 1:20 PM

Thanks for advice. We also considered goiung further east and going through Austria...

I can see us parked just off the ferry still trying to decide which way to go...!

Doug

we did that last year and will probably again this year.....

Which did you do..? Going via Austria or sitting in Calais and debating... :-D

Incidentally, anyone know what a "Go-Box" is...?

Doug

In Austria, for motorway travel, vehicles above 3500kg are treated much the same as an HGV lorry. This means they are subject to mileage-based, electronic motorway tolls. These can prove pretty expensive, and also somewhat awkward to arrange and pay for.

It is possible, but sometimes messy, to avoid motorways completely, and, if you are over 3500kg, my advice would be to do just that.

Up to a maximum of 3500kg, a vignette system is in place, and is not at all expensive for, say, a 10-day motorway pass (in the order of €8 AFAIR), and saves a lot of pre-planning.

The following thread should give you most of the background:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23127&posts=11

Guest JudgeMental
Calais - Lille - Luxembourg (cheap fuel) - Stuttgart - Fussen - Landeck - Merano ( set sat nav to avoid tolls in Austria)

Just come back fronm Lake Gards we went via Dunkirk, Luxembberg Lake Konstance then to Insbruck Austria (stopping at Natterersee site which is a must http://www.natterersee.com/ Austria tolls are no problem if you are uinder 3.5 ton just buy the Vingnette for 8 Euros from the service area when you cross the border. We went down the Brenner pass in to Italy which was quite cheap but you could avoid it and use the road which follows the same line down towards Bodena.

Try and avoid earth quakes, we didn't. It was the first time the earth had movedd for the OH for a long time.

Have a good trip

snobbyafghan - 2012-06-10 9:04 AM

So, we're booked on the ferry for 7.30 tomorrow with the vague idea of ambling down to Venice. This morning, I though it'd be quite nice to go via Switzerland. Then it occurs to me, er....they're not in the EU.

Currency..? Swiss Franc - need some of them, then. But what about other unique requirements, particularly to do with vehicles...?

As you are simply 'passing through' you won't need much more than small change for the odd coffee break or stop at an Autoroute Service area. As mentioned you will need a Vignette to use the Autoroutes but at just under £27 (purchase either at the border or any Service area) which is valid for a year, not only represents excellent value for money, but interestingly has remained almost unchanged for years now. That payment entitles you to use all the Autoroute system in Switzerland any time.

When you consider it costs between £8.60 - £11.00 to drive the M6 toll section just once......I think you will agree, the Swiss not only believe in fairness to all but actually practice it! Britain could learn an awful lot from the Swiss.

http://www.tolltickets.com/country/swiss/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB

Archived