Swiss Vignette

Hawcara

Guest JudgeMental
Honestly do not worry! you just pull up at border crossing, open your window, guard hands you the sticker you had him a euro note, and he hands you change in Swiss Francs.....

I bought mine from the Swiss Travel Centre in London. Swiss are canny. You have to buy a motorway vignette for the calendar year - current year 2012- even if you are only going to be passing through, unless you avoid the motorways. Phone is 0207 420 4900. Cost me £32.50 for the year (£29 plus £3.50 handling charge). A rip-off methinks! Don't know whether it is cheaper if you just buy at the border.

Richard.

Cheaper at Border, if you cross at Basle they are only interested in selling a vignette, so you won`t have a problem. Some crossings (e.g. Schauffhausen) you buy the vignette at a Petrol Station which is a few metres just past the actual Border crossing.

We went through on the motorway near Basel last year and everyone was whizzing through so I just kept going figured it get on at the next service station. I then forgot and it was only three days later that I remembered and went out and got one! I then started looking at cars and quite a few were not displaying them. I have heard the fine is quite heavy though if you get caught

Hawcara - 2012-06-12 8:49 AM

Thank you for all your responses.

We intend to cross at Basle. So is there a toll booth arrangement, like a peage, where you can 'cough up' the cash, there and then?

:-D

Depending on the crossing you use, you will have to keep your eyes open (and Basel can be busy at times), but yes, if you enter on a motorway (where you would immediately be illegal if you were to continue without the vignette) there is generally a "Douane" slip lane, pull-through or other construction at the border which you should use to buy your vignette.

They differ depending on the entry, but the link to Google Streetview here gives a good example (entry on the E25/A35 from France).

http://goo.gl/maps/dLFu

The slightly (google-)obscured sign reads "sans vignette", and the payment booth is obvious.

Guest JudgeMental
I have crossed at Basle 5 times in last 6 years on way to Italy (July) and have never been delayed...believe me you worrying about nothing

Eddie is right you are worrying about nothing. However if you intend to use Swiss motorways you should buy one or risk a fine. Personally we never use Swiss motorways as you miss all the best bits of the countryside and the great alpine passes if you do. Can never understand just whistling through one of the most scenic countries in europe on a motorway, take your time and use the smaller alpine passes for a great trip. Most Swiss border crossings are like the rest of europe now, almost deserted, but on those that exit straight onto Swiss autoroutes, like one at Basle and one at Geneva their will be a man taking money for the motorway, you can pay by card so no need to mess with euros or Swiss francs. If no one is obvious just pull into parking area and ask. If you cross at an unmaned point just pull into the first petrol station over the border.

Archived