SeaFrance - Curiouser & Curiouser

Robinhood

Guest JudgeMental
Patricia - 2012-06-18 4:10 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-06-18 3:36 PM

Patricia - 2012-06-18 3:26 PM

As yet another aside, I can highly recommend reading "1000 Years of Annoying the French" by Stephen Clarke published by Black Swan.

will order it immediately!:-D

Patricia, the thread heading was a dual one..Sea france and Curiouser & Curiouser!

So we are well on topic.... :D

Available on Amazon .co.uk (free del) £6.29 or Kindle edition £5.98. Surprisingly also available on Amazon.fr both in book form and the Kindle edition.

Done! + rough guide to Tuscany...

Robinhood - 2012-06-11 7:14 PM

....well, a bit of extra competition on The Channel is always welcome, but it will be interesting to see where this goes........

Not very far to be precise. In fact entirely out of the framework altogether by as much as £128 more expensive for the same trip! The site is so brilliantly clever you don't even need to do cross comparison checks......it shows you which is the cheaper company to use! (lol)

I'm currently looking at booking a crossing and DFDS is the one to go with.....even better if you book singles rather than return and you will save yourself a further £15.

This appears to be their website; http://www.ferries.co.uk/eurotunnel.html

I think you'll find that that site is simply a Ferry broker - akin (as you say) to a comparison site.

Any Eurotunnel fares quoted (though they may be tagged as ferries) are in fact tunnel fares.

The "Seafrance" service is not due to start until (at the earliest) sometime in the late Summer, as little of the legal detail has been sorted out, and the ships need de-mothballing and some renovation. I doubt there is any idea yet of just what and when the timetable will be.

....however, given that Eurotunnel is very much a French company, and the money to lease the ships back off Eurotunnel is supposed to be from the workers in the Co-op's redundancy pay (a proposal that was largely discounted when it was mooted free-standing), this looks suspiciously like a covert subsidy.

Coupled with the fact that that P&O and DFDS/LD, as current providers don't like the idea of further competition from what is already the number 1 provider, I think we may well be seeing a number of legal challenges and references to the competition authorities before anything concrete happens.

I wouldn't want to be one of the early bookers when the service is announced, unless/until all that has already been got out of the way!

I'm not entirely convinced that this will ultimately result in the best interests of the consumer.

Robinhood - 2012-06-18 10:41 PM

I think you'll find that that site is simply a Ferry broker - akin (as you say) to a comparison site.

Any Eurotunnel fares quoted (though they may be tagged as ferries) are in fact tunnel fares.

I'm not entirely convinced that this will ultimately result in the best interests of the consumer.

Could be......I just read the 'blurb' which mentioned "Eurotunnel offer Ferry crossings..." and "Eurotunnel crossings including Ferry timetables, Ferry prices...". Bit misleading using the name Eurotunnel as a Ferry operator.

Either way, none are even close to the mark with the price DFDS are currently doing.

If Eurotunnel do in fact take over SeaFrance, then their prices will not compete with the Tunnel prices which have always been high. Really it needs another company totally independent of DFDS and P&O. I've never once found a Eurotunnel fare even remotely close to any Ferry fare so don't even bother looking at their site at all now.

Guest JudgeMental
I am more then happy to pay the extra for the convenience and speed of the eurotunnel, I cant stand the ferry's. As long as I book well in advance, the difference then is acceptable IMO

JudgeMental - 2012-06-19 7:57 AM

I am more then happy to pay the extra for the convenience and speed of the eurotunnel, I cant stand the ferry's. As long as I book well in advance, the difference then is acceptable IMO

A fool and his money are easily parted......thank you for keeping my Ferry fares low. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
Bulletguy - 2012-06-19 3:52 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-06-19 7:57 AM

A fool and his money are easily parted......thank you for keeping my Ferry fares low. (lol)

I cant believe you said that!lol

while you are just waiting to board ferry for the terminally boring crossing on a filthy boat....i am away down the road on the other side. Dont get me wrong, I used DFDS when I went to Spain recently as it was cheap, but certainly not my first choice.

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-06-18 10:41 PM

....however, given that Eurotunnel is very much a French company, and the money to lease the ships back off Eurotunnel is supposed to be from the workers in the Co-op's redundancy pay (a proposal that was largely discounted when it was mooted free-standing), this looks suspiciously like a *covert subsidy*.

You mean the French might say one thing...... but do another 8-)...........

I can just imagine the fun when we start sharing an aircraft carrier (lol) (lol)...........

Its a shame we didn't let Napoleon win..........I'd be able to get my pension at 60 *-)

Guest JudgeMental

"Its a shame we didn't let Napoleon win..........I'd be able to get my pension at 60"

you think? there will be no pension funds left soon....

JudgeMental - 2012-06-19 4:10 PM

I cant believe you said that!lol

while you are just waiting to board ferry for the terminally boring crossing on a filthy boat....i am away down the road on the other side. Dont get me wrong, I used DFDS when I went to Spain recently as it was cheap, but certainly not my first choice.

The old coal boats got scrapped donkeys years ago and if you've recently been on DFDS I think you will agree their Ferries are more like cruise liners with cars. The onboard facilities are excellent, and if you 'dress the part' you will easily get into the Commercial drivers Restaurant where you will get a cracking 3 course meal for less than three quid.

You live in London so only an hour or so drive from Dover......whereas I live 300 miles north which means a six hour drive, so the Ferry crossings have always provided a welcome and relaxing break for me.....not to mention being able to walk around in the fresh sea air as opposed to being shoved down a metal tube.

pelmetman - 2012-06-19 4:45 PM

I can just imagine the fun when we start sharing an aircraft carrier (lol) (lol)...........

Wait until the Falklands kicks off again.......we will be in deep doo doo. *-)

Its a shame we didn't let Napoleon win..........I'd be able to get my pension at 60 *-)

Yes whilst our lot are busy raising the State Retirement Age to keep folk working till they drop dead, the French go the opposite way!

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2012-06-19 6:37 PM

Yes whilst our lot are busy raising the State Retirement Age to keep folk working till they drop dead, the French go the opposite way!

Makes you wonder how good a deal they've got out of the EU 8-)

Wonder which side of the carrier they will take off and land. Its our carrier so they should keep to the left..........Is there any roundabouts on a carrier? 8-)

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-06-19 6:52 PM

Is there any roundabouts on a carrier? 8-)

Dave

Only if the stokers have found the golden rivet :D............and they form a daisy chain (lol) (lol)

nowtelse2do - 2012-06-19 6:52 PM

Wonder which side of the carrier they will take off and land. Its our carrier so they should keep to the left..........Is there any roundabouts on a carrier? 8-)

Dave

Don't know about roundabouts, but don't forget "prioité a droit" ... so any French aircraft coming in from the starboard side will have automatic priority over RAF/RN ones landing lengthways!

And will the control tower on deck count as a "built-up area," with an invisible (but VERY enforceable) 50kph speed limit?

Archived