A warning to all

The way I read it is she did have insurance cover but refused to pay out. I have justy been trying to sort out my cover fro this yeat and note some wil not pay out of you have an accident while under the influence of drink. This unfortanate girl had been drinking it appears.

Check your policy very carefully!

Have to agree Eddie :D

May just be how the article has been written & she thought she had insurance via her EHIC card, a mistake a lot of people make.

Some years ago a woman was on a day trip to Boulogne, as it was a day trip didn't bother with insurance and she was unfortunate to be hit by a car on a pedestrian crossing cost her a couple of grand to get home in an ambulance.

Have 'we' all been living under a rock?

It is becoming common place for insurance to not pay out in cases involving alcohol, CHECK YOUR T&C's if this concerns you.

The EHIC is only mentioned as this did cover her for emergency treatment, but not transfer back to UK.

How would the insurance company know if you ahd been drinking?

I doubt that the hospital would do a blood test and tell them, would they 8-) !

Maybe it's only eccessive drinking that counts, like more than one bottle of red wine?

H

johnnerontheroad - 2012-06-12 11:28 AM

No mention of insurance just the EHIC card the word "insurance" on the card may be why she thought she had insurance.

Dave

It says in news article in second sentence "The 24-year-old's insurance company has refused to pay out."

20. Any claim arising directly or indirectly from using alcohol or drugs (unless the drugs have been prescribed by a

doctor) or you being affected by any sexually transmitted disease or condition.

Just typed in holiday insurance then looked at T&C's of first one and the above is in general exclusions. She has amited to having a couple of drinks prior to incidence. This is not first time it's happened, chap had a couple of glass's of wine with a meal had a fall and had insurance refused.

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/news/october-2007/alcohol-invalidates-travel-insurance-256/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5478115/Drunk-holidaymakers-put-travel-insurance-at-risk.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/7625382/Insurers-10-favourite-reasons-not-to-pay.html

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/insurance/travel-insurance/10-travel-insurance-traps-to-avoid

ips - 2012-06-13 9:36 AM

JudgeMental - 2012-06-12 11:02 AM

I may as well cancel my insurance now if you cant have a drink *-)

Absolutely judge, me too.

So what about your partners who may not be drinking, or even if you have a drink but the accident was no way attributable your drunkeness, or host of other events covered by the policy. Are you also saying you are under the influence of drink the majority of the time you are on holiday...presumably never shoberer enough to to to actchually driiiiive frhicom A to B legallshee!! Maybe I am taking your posts too seriously and not tongue in cheek!

A note to myself " lighten up Jon Boy".

Just fed up because I have been wading through getting various quotes for travel insurance.

On the bright side...3 weeks time we will be in Belgium somewhere on the way south just doing 50 or so miles a day ....whoo hooo 6 weeks of relaxation. probably go to Slovenia again and back to Ljubljana (staying an Kamnik and getting the train in) as really enjoyed it last summer. And along with our usual 4 nights in Stuttgart and 6 nights south of Saltzburg near Bischofshofen at our favourie campsite for cycling by the Saltzer River, Europe is our oyster for the rest of the time. 10th year in Motorhome and still find plenty of new places of interest in Germany, Austria, Czech Rep, Italy etc. and different routes everytime.

Archived