Disabled Toilets

Guest ChrisB

Guest ChrisB

With a family member who requires full disabled facilities it's good to see that Weymouth council are opening a new disabled toilet which includes a hoist and bench.

I know this may be of interest to one or two other forum members who care for family members.

It is situated near the King's Statue in what was the Tourist Information Centre (which has now moved to the Pavilion Theatre) and is now the 2012 shop, and requires a RADAR key (as does the recently re-furbished, but "standard", disabled toilet in the Bandstand Pier to the south).

In all of our travels in the UK and abroad we have only seen a similar facility once before. This was on a Dutch-owned campsite in central France we used overnight. All of the site had been constructed with the disabled in mind (including "wet rooms" in the services with hoists, benches, and shower chairs, and adapted rental mobile homes) and had won a number of awards.

Has anyone else encountered similar facilities in towns or campsites? And I'm not talking about the normal raised toilet with grab handles etc! Those who have need will know what I'm talking about..

Good to know our Olympic money is being spent on something sensible! Have not seen it and thankfuly do not need to use it, but love Weymouth (our cvan is on a seasonal pitch at Warmwell) and am pleased such a facility now exists.

The shame would be that other places do not.

Well done Weymouth & thanks for the info Chris, guess this is one of the benefits of the 2012 Paralympics, and (just) maybe they will be copied at other venues.

More in hope than anything else, that they be rolled out to include other towns around the country.

Guest pelmetman

Yep to give Weymouth its due's ;-)............they're not short of public bogs.........having a 1/2 pint bladder I've used them all :D...............It's just a shame they've spent the last 2 years digging up every roundabout in Weymouth and replacing them with traffic lights 8-).............WHY?............So when the VIP's arrive they can be turned to red to stop the oikes and the fullers**tevips can be whisked by at speed *-)............and I've heard after the games they will be all dug up and returned to roundabouts *-)...

So not only have they had the cost of making a golden highway for the (apparently according to the mod's) but it starts with a "T" and sounds like ossser's..........The next bit in brackets was kindly provided by Warners (it's not nice to insult people)s they have also been given the bill for sorting it out afterwards 8-)........

That's without the hidden costs of 2 years of constant disruption to the local businesses.........well those's that have survived *-)

Archived