Emptying the loo when "wild camping"

Hi all,

Very soon I will be staying a few nights in a field (with permission) and it has crossed my mind that I will not have the benefit of a foul waste emptying point such as that available at a CL or camp site. What do the "wild campers" among the Forum do, or anyone else for that matter?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker
Firstly ask the owner of the field what he would prefer you did with it and if all else fails ask if you can dig a hole in an out of the way corner and pour it in, replacing the soil and turf when the liquid has soaked away.

If for "a few nights" then there should actually be no need to empty your cassette at all, surely?

Two of us in our MH, and we can go about 6 nights before the loo cassette is full........by that time we've found an aire with a dump point, or a wild-camp spot where the other campers know where the nearest sewer manhole is.

Can I suggest that you just don't waste putting extra water into the cassette by flushing the loo loads (indeed, if you have to then hardly at all after just a wee), and don't bother putting loads of water/blue stuff in the empty cassette. (We just add a "gloop" of Lidl clothes washing liquid to our empty cassette, and another to the flush water tank)

If you need to empty whilst 'on site' then it's proboly dig and bury, but take note of what Richard says and let the liquid drain away before covering.

You could go to a CC&C site and use CDP that costs, we often return home with a part full cassette, am I thankfull we didn't remove the portaloo after building the new house.

Find a public loo and empty there, they have these facilities for emptying all on picnic sites on the continent. Sometimes a garage may help if you buy fuel from them. A last resort is to put the cassette in a large plastic bag or two and take it in to the cubicle with you and empty.

Guest pelmetman
rupert123 - 2012-06-12 6:02 PM

I should start a new thread, 'freebe campers revolting habits'.

I wondered how long before this hand grenade of a thread went off (lol) (lol) (lol)............

I am in awe of Bruce & Sparkle being able to last 6 days 8-)...............that must be a whopper of a cassette :D.............we rarely get past four.........but then again before anyone say's it :D...........I probably am full of s**t (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

PS............don't empty it whilst under the influence of drink :'(.............

Guest Tracker

Typical remark from one who does not accept, understand or grasp the joys of non site camping.

We don't expect you to adopt site less camping Henry but do at least have the courtesy not to criticise others who are trying to do the right thing.

Judging by the emptying point at many sites the habits of many site users can hardly be called pleasant given their inability to empty without spilling and their failure to clean it up.

Unfortunately people have been spotted emptying their cassettes at the roadside in Spain, which gets us all a bad name.

Also there are sanddunes in some coastal places which are far from pleasant in the winter.

The horrible few always spoil things for the decent majority.

Guest pelmetman

People don't realise just how deep a hole you need to dig *-)..............depending on the contents a foot minimum............when I was a boy scout I had to help dig 2 foot for a fortnights camping..........and then fill it in *-)...............sadly I fell in 8-)....

I've suffered from a lot of s**t in my life 8-) 8-)

Guest peter
pelmetman - 2012-06-12 6:23 PM

I am in awe of Bruce & Sparkle being able to last 6 days 8-)...............that must be a whopper of a cassette :D.............we rarely get past four.........but then again before anyone say's it :D...........I probably am full of s**t (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

PS............don't empty it whilst under the influence of drink :'(.............

I am also Dave. But can you imagine the stink in the van after 5 days or more?.

Stink.jpg.847bb02acd3329ca87521e757747607d.jpg

Stink 1.bmp

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-06-12 8:38 PM

Bobbetty - 2012-06-12 6:59 PM

I believe that you can get a cradle to fit beneath m/home to take an empty or full toilet cassette..

Regards, Rob

Yes there is - bit pricey though!

http://www.leisureoutlet.com/caravans-and-motorhomes/toilets-and-treatment/toilet-containers/fiamma-porta-kassett-toilet-tank-container.html

That's the price of carting sh*t ?? :D..............just goes to show the rich are too mean to give it away (lol).....they'd rather take it home (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)...........................I have a spade just in case ;-)

Guest Tracker
flicka - 2012-06-12 10:12 PM

Dave - But you don't have the payload for 2 full casettes anyway, :D :D :D

Horace may not have the capacity - but Dave has a huge capacity for shh - you know what - he's full of it!!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2012-06-12 10:15 PM

flicka - 2012-06-12 10:12 PM

Dave - But you don't have the payload for 2 full casettes anyway, :D :D :D

Horace may not have the capacity - but Dave has a huge capacity for shh - you know what - he's full of it!!

Thank you Rich ;-) ...............I hope to sell it to the banks soon :D..............as they seem quite happy to buy crap :-D

Judging by the emptying point at many sites the habits of many site users can hardly be called pleasant given their inability to empty without spilling and their failure to clean it up.

Dont know what sites you have frequented but in 20 yrs or so of caravan / MH and 20yrs of tents before that I have yet to encounter an empty point as you have described.

I think you would have to be away for a week or so for this to be an issue and surely before that you would need water anyway. I am not totally against wilding as we have on very rare occasions done a night or so however we have never really felt at ease, the thought that we were doing something we shouldnt really be doing was allways there. (Sorry went off topic a bit )

Surely you empty out when you return home in your own toilet or when you next visit a "site". i cant beleive anyone dumps there toilet waste anywere other than a propper empty point. :-S

Absolutebeginner - 2012-06-12 12:37 PM

Hi all,

Very soon I will be staying a few nights in a field (with permission) and it has crossed my mind that I will not have the benefit of a foul waste emptying point such as that available at a CL or camp site. What do the "wild campers" among the Forum do, or anyone else for that matter?

As has been said,try to minimize the amount of "fluids" you put into it(..if it's a rural/farm/secluded location,could you not occasionally "use" a hedge? ;-) )

Whilst on festival sites(Glastonbury etc),for the bulk of MY "no:1s",I've adopting the campers' tip of using a lidded bucket,double bag lined and containing some woodbased cat litter(pine scented!) and we've found we can manage for the best part of a week before the cassette *needs* emptying(..although obviously,if a queue-less porta loo presents it'self nearby,I empty it sooner.. ;-) ).

..and the bag of "sodden" cat litter,can just be carted home(..we mix ours' into the compost heap).

(..although you've no real need to bother with the cat litter..it does reduce the risk of spills/splashes and smells nicer.. ;-) )

Thank you for all your ideas and thoughts. So far in our sojourns we have found that our 20 litre cassette is sufficient for two days (and mostly nights when a nocturnal wind driven trip to the site facilities is most uninviting). Pots of tea and a few glasses of wine seem to conjure up more than the old adage of drink a pint p*** a pint! I guess that the spray idea might get us to three days.

Resorting to buckets and cat litter may work, but rather makes the concept of a "luxury camper van" less of a luxury. It may be that the designers of motor homes need to rethink whether they are providing lip service to the facilities they provide in their products or to better define what sort of camping their vans are suited for! I have seen comments in MMM on similar lines regarding leisure battery capacity. What do these guys who go skiing for a week in camper vans do? I have seen them lined up (their campers that is) in the car park at Avoriaz!

The night soil comments have reminded me of traditional camping latrines, but somehow when a guest in someones pony field I feel less able to "spoil" the paddock! I suspect that a chemical laced effluent is not good for the water bearing strata.

Much as I might consider the idea of using a public toilet, I find that the emptying process needs the follow up facility of being able to clean up afterwards. And I have a careful disposal technique!

As for getting fresh water, it is far easier to request water of a new acquaintance than asking to empty a loo.

I guess that I will explore the following options:-

Ask if there is a nearby foul drainage manhole I can access.

Find a local club camp site that will let me use their disposal facility at no charge or a small charge.

I guess that when I posted the question I had hoped that as a Caravan Club member, that I would find that a fellow member would reveal that there is a club benefit offering disposal facilities.

I guess that we will be away from home for about 5 days, so I definitely need a plan.

Thanks to all

Absolutebeginner - 2012-06-13 8:07 PM

I guess that when I posted the question I had hoped that as a Caravan Club member, that I would find that a fellow member would reveal that there is a club benefit offering disposal facilities.

As per my post, C&CC offer 'Motorhome Service Point' at many sites, this is £7 for 3 hours use of facilities, not sure if CC offer similier

Archived