Emptying the loo when "wild camping"

The last time I saw something resembling Mel's 'device' was in the dungeon of our local S&M meeting house. The chains, locks and rubber inner-tube are good, but the modified caravan A-frame cover lets the installation down. Leather (preferably lurid red leather) must be the material of choice and there are usually plenty of redundant DFS sofas at recycling centres from which to source it.

I've heard about "inflatable canoes" but I've never had the nerve to explore this more extreme side of S&M (I assume 'water boarding' also comes into it?) Same with "reverse polarity" - it may be OK for the Poles, but too unnerving and embarrassing for Brits to do it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2012-06-29 11:43 PM

Truly, truly, the mind boggles! :-|

It certainly does!

What was the cost of a pukka thetford replacement? Can all this Heath Robinson 'cake' really be worth the 'candle' (as my dear old boss you to say!).

Mel, where did you obtain all your wonderful ( :-S ) practical 'knowledge and experience'? Not many girls would attempt what you have done.........

I tried not to reply to this post but anything with "dollops" etc. is always of interest to me.

The best method I ever saw was a gentleman from Spain who emptied the loo into a quite thick polythene bag. This was duly tied up with two cable ties and neatly placed in one of the large rubbish bins they have.

I have never been sure if that is anti something or another but it all goes to the tip in the end?

H

EDIT PS I have noticed bags of dog poo going into the litter bins over here so apart from the quantity it is much the same?

hi

Vera interestink,? Now, my R-V has 40+GALLON of the "stuff" when full!!! that`s an interesting thought???

There used to be "Dump Stations" on at least 4 of the motorway service stations for coach use? maybe they are still operational?. Both the "clubs" make a charge, somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds!! (makes a mockery of "spending a penny" though!!), but you can fill your water and use the electric for a few Hours, I believe?. A lot of French Aires will charge 2 euro, but you do get water for that too.

I also have the "Macerator" and have been given permission in the past by Owners to "put it on the land" as a "slurry". and have put it down a "Rodding Eye" before to-day! Usually just one screw!!!. At Home I have a"dedicated" sewer connection which I put in when Re-furbishing the property some years back. The trick is to follow it up with the "grey" waste.

Whilst, I appreciate that "irregular" dumping gets the (Non Traveling) population`s back up. It IS not that many years back that the majority of domestic sewage went on the land as the "Night Soil"!!. Especially from the Old "back to back" Housing in Major urban conurbations. Heigh-Ho!? the delights of "Indoor Plumbing". Baden Powell`s Camping for Scouts gave a graphic description with sketches of digging and fabrication Latrines too!!.

Pete

hallii - 2012-06-30 1:56 PM

...PS I have noticed bags of dog poo going into the litter bins over here so apart from the quantity it is much the same?

It used to be that dedicated bins were required for disposal of dog-poo by members of the public, and that the contents of such bins were not combined with the contents of ordinary litter bins (ie. the dog-poo bins were emptied separately and their contents then treated separately). This policy has now been dropped and dog owners are nowadays permitted to 'bag up' their dogs' excrement and dispose of it in ordinary litter bins.

......what a marvellous source of practical information this forum is!

I've been wanting to free up a bit of extra space in the 'van for some time.

Now, with a small supply of lucozade bottles and some black plastic bags, all is sorted.

I can remove my cassette toilet, and use the space for my humidor, and as somewhere to store my a-frame when not in use.

I don't really need the littlest room for my "garderobe", and can dispose of the liquids and blame the "lucozade" on the lorry drivers, and the solids, and blame the results on the dog owners.

Who's going to know the difference?

No scope for blaming irresponsible motorhome owners there, then! :-S ;-)

Cheers!

Guest pelmetman

What to do with ones do do's?

I'm sure we're all missing a business opportunity here ;-)............There must be money to be made from it, after all one of the richest men in the 19th century made his fortune importing guano :D.....

Guest pelmetman
JamesFrance - 2012-07-01 4:33 PM

You could always try putting it on ebay.

Now there's an idea :D..........

pelmetman - 2012-07-01 5:09 PM

....if you "pretend" it is Paul Smith or Wayne Hemingway (do they really do that on eBay?) you might realise a better price.

.....or maybe not. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-07-01 5:19 PM

....if you "pretend" it is Paul Smith or Wayne Hemingway (do they really do that on eBay?) you might realise a better price.

.....or maybe not. ;-)

I'll try saying it's Elvis's first ;-)...................as proof that he's still alive and working in our chip shop :D

I've just had an idea to get rid of that tricky decanting process.

If Mel stows the container with the side mounted screw cap removed, and drills a hole through the floor directly above that, it should be possible, with the addition of a length of hose coupled to a funnel, to cut out the middle man, so to speak! No 1s down the funnel, No 2s in the toilet. Of course, it will be unwise to let the No 1 tank fill above half capacity, or getting it down may result in unwanted golden showers. :-D

Seriously though (giggling! :-)) I just wonder who, with the present proposal, once the cassette contents are (mostly :-)) transferred to the reserve tank, is going to hoik the resulting 15 + kg into place under the van. Especially as it seems to me it will require a certain amount of rolling around on the ground. I do sense trouble in this area, as so far it has only been loaded in while empty. It ain't going to be easy in the field when it's full. :-|

Guest pelmetman
Another thought................. does the normal licence cover you for driving a dumper truck?? :D

pelmetman - 2012-07-01 5:58 PM

Robinhood - 2012-07-01 5:19 PM

.....or maybe not. ;-)

I'll try saying it's Elvis's first ;-)...................as proof that he's still alive and working in our chip shop :D

....or forget about him still being alive, and just sell it as his last movement. ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2012-07-01 6:08 PM

Seriously though (giggling! :-)) I just wonder who, with the present proposal, once the cassette contents are (mostly :-)) transferred to the reserve tank, is going to hoik the resulting 15 + kg into place under the van. Especially as it seems to me it will require a certain amount of rolling around on the ground. I do sense trouble in this area, as so far it has only been loaded in while empty. It ain't going to be easy in the field when it's full. :-|

... which is why it slots into the 'basket' at the rear so that the front can then be lifted up and secured without taking all of the weight ... of course, if you're saying you couldn't do it because you're a wimp .... :D

I've just had an idea to get rid of that tricky decanting process.

If Mel stows the container with the side mounted screw cap removed, and drills a hole through the floor directly above that, it should be possible, with the addition of a length of hose coupled to a funnel, to cut out the middle man, so to speak! No 1s down the funnel, No 2s in the toilet. Of course, it will be unwise to let the No 1 tank fill above half capacity, or getting it down may result in unwanted golden showers. :-D

I had been wondering how long it will be before someone on a site/aire notices the stowage 'installation' and assumes it is connected directly ... I will have a bit of fun with them when they do though!!! :-D

Mel B - 2012-07-01 6:27 PM

... which is why it slots into the 'basket' at the rear so that the front can then be lifted up and secured without taking all of the weight ... of course, if you're saying you couldn't do it because you're a wimp .... :D

I'll reserve judgement until you report back on the first user trial!

Brian Kirby - 2012-07-01 6:36 PM

Mel B - 2012-07-01 6:27 PM

I'll reserve judgement until you report back on the first user trial!

.....a good candidate for Youtube? B-)

pelmetman - 2012-07-01 7:13 PM

Another thought................. does the normal licence cover you for driving a dumper truck?? :D

I hold a certificate issued by JCB that says I am competent to operate a telescopic handler. Maybe that would keep it all at arm's length.

A trial run has been carried out with the container over half full - the reason being that it allowed the water to slosh about giving 'movement within' rather than a full container which wouldn't.

We took it over quite a few speed bumps, along windy roads, roundabouts etc and upon checking it, the holder was still secure with no movement at all. The container also hadn't moved and neither had the chains, bungee or cover. :-D

The contents had leaked out of the black side cap of the container (which is on top when in the holder) but that was discovered to be because the rubber washer was missing so we'll have to get a new one, the top red cap (on the side when in the holder) hadn't leaked at all (seal intact). Hubby was able to lift it into the holder one's he'd put the fluid in and I did the same when I was taking photos later.

The most difficult part of the whole procedure was pushing the padlock together to lock it in place, however, I'd put a yellow cable tie on a link (so we knew which one to put the padlock through) and by feeding the cable tie through the hoop first and holding onto it, it held the chain in place and the link upright whilst the padlock was fastened through it - much easier.

Piccies below - feel free to mock ... again! :D

744521726_carrierempty.JPG.7f37198e653d2e6a2e8359f527344d2c.JPG

1967920602_carrierwithcontainerandcover.JPG.0adaa5e6da49d1b024f4acbbdf396055.JPG

8348988_insidegaragesupports.JPG.7c4147a31170550769a9730932464a54.JPG

2054613751_insidegarageboardoversupports.JPG.41c506a23e0c83127d589fa25b6486e8.JPG

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-07-02 8:51 PM

Piccies below - feel free to mock ... again! :D

Us mock 8-)..............how could you say such a thing Mel? :D..........I see you've now added a nice duvet.... :D

Archived