Wet Weather

Dave225

I do wish to offer sympathy to all those who have been flooded. Having your campsite invaded by a wall of water must be no joke, let alone the cost of the damage. I somehow recall not so long agao our illustrious weather people advising it would be a scorcher of a summer, well maybe it will eventually, but not yet evidently. It seems the end is not yet in sight either although it does also seem as the main area is the south and south west, which I note is again classed as the 'whole of the UK' Those up north may sigh and say, here we go again.

However, without in any way wishing to add to anyone's misery I am sitting here in sunny Spain and for once thinking I actually got it right by hacking all the way down here. It has been 25- 30 degrees for 3 weeks and no rain at all. I fully appreciate that not everyone either has the time or the money to do this but having had many a wet UK holiday in the past I would tend to suggest the cost difference is acceptable considering the other benefits. The media was blathering on how everyone should holiday at home, well maybe those that have done it are not so enthusiastic anymore.

I also note the firebrand 'global warmers' have changed tack. It is no longer global warming because the temperature is actually getting colder and the ice caps are increasing, now it is 'climate change', bluntly any excuse to waste lots of money on crackpot ideas. They blether on how we are changing evrything and doom and destruction will arrive, yet fail to explain why the rivers of the UK froze solid in Medieval times and long before that in the 13th century we were growing vines happily, so climate does change. Now population growth will undoubtedly have an effect but that is ignored. It is curious that when I lived and worked in Hungary they burned a lot of wood on fires, as they had lots of the stuff and it was cheap, but their skies were clearer than in the UK. Of course they did not have people jammed into every corner and more flooding in every day................

Sorry, got sidetracked there.

I do hope that the rain will stop soon and people can get dried out. If I could ship some of this sun back to the UK I would happily do so.

Guest pelmetman
It's been a nice day here B-)..............had a couple of specks of drizzle first thing.........then the sun came out :D

We haven't ventured abroad yet for various reasons, one being only getting one week off at a time (hubby) but also feel a bit overwhelmed by all the different rules and regs for all the different countries. Eg remembering what it is compulsory to carry with you, or what sticker you have to display or understanding the speed limits etc etc. But the more you all talk about what a great time you have and what good weather you get, I am determined we will do it one of these days. Our nearest port would be Harwich, so don't know how easy 'vanning is in Denmark or Holland....... 8-)

Just need to find a definitive list of do's and dont;s for each country in Europe!

Guest Tracker

The 'easiest' countries are without doubt France and Germany Nicola if you are at ease with the Aires / Stelplatz form of holidaying.

Denmark and Holland are not so user friendly and Spain seems to be tightening up on freedom to stop but Sweden and Norway allow great freedom to stop overnight responsibly whilst meandering.

Can't speak for sites camping in those countries save to say they are, like most things, flippin expensive in Scandinavia!

No doubt site users can advise the easiest countries for that sort of holiday either pre booked or non booked, but the ACSI sites book seems as good a list as any to start with?

Guest pelmetman
josie gibblebucket - 2012-06-12 9:45 PM

We haven't ventured abroad yet for various reasons, one being only getting one week off at a time (hubby) but also feel a bit overwhelmed by all the different rules and regs for all the different countries. Eg remembering what it is compulsory to carry with you, or what sticker you have to display or understanding the speed limits etc etc. But the more you all talk about what a great time you have and what good weather you get, I am determined we will do it one of these days. Our nearest port would be Harwich, so don't know how easy 'vanning is in Denmark or Holland....... 8-)

Just need to find a definitive list of do's and dont;s for each country in Europe!

Have you not done it yet Josie 8-).........

Its nothing to be worried about....

If I were you I'd go via the tunnel first time as its so easy, no risk of dodgy weather.............and cheap if you use your Tesco vouchers......

As for rules and regs...............we have driven around for years illegally 8-)..................It's only since joining this forum I've suffered from legalistic issue's *-)................If I hadn't found this site I'd still be quite happily driving around France............ Overweight, without day glow vests, 2 triangles, a full set of bulbs, first aid kit.......and now I've got to find a Breathalyzer *-)..........

Dontcha just luv politicians *-) *-) *-) *-)

Archived