Internet dongle for france

Guest peter

Currently in France. Site has free wi-fi (Wiffy here) found a lot more sites have free wi-fi , if not they have pay as you go. have no dongle, just a lap-top, but others are using I Pads and phones If wife has to work, try getting on a site with Free Wi-Fi

PJay

PS Weather here nice and hot and sunny (south West france)

UK dongles require roaming in your contract and are still expensive.

Judgemental was alluding to a particular brand or add on he was using for his recent trip.

My friend has just returned from 6 months away in France and Spain and managed to post a blog, including photos, most days.

How did he do it? Well, two ways. Firstly he got a wi-fi aerial for the van so that he could pick up open networks from a great distance away - around a mile i think. This usually got him something he could hook onto - MacDonalds, shop, cafe etc without leaving the van.

Secondly, if he couldn't get on the wifi route he carried a French (or Spanish) PAYG SIM card.

If you really need the net, then you need to have the tools to use it and camp wifi can be very expensive.

The Judge will be along soon to help, I'm sure.

Guest JudgeMental

we just use a Blackberry but Mrs M's new contract dont allow tethering (using your phone for internet access connected to laptop)

I'm not sure about mine as while in Spain I used the sites wifi and my wifi aerial. Travelling there and back, I use my blackberry as I get email, BBM messaging and browsing for £15 a month. I did tether it a couple of times. My son says you are not supposed to but thinks they cant tell if you are or not.....

I dont think tethering suitable anyway if you need to be on for hours at a time.

Guest JudgeMental
dawki - 2012-06-13 7:24 PM

you could have a look at these on ebay, they work fine

item number 180718164708

and that will work in a dongle purchased here?

Guest peter
Thanks guys, I have bought a usb ariel the same as the judges It also has it's own inbuilt wi-fi adapter, so you need to disable the one in your laptop. Will have a look at the one on e.bay.

JudgeMental - 2012-06-13 7:45 PM

dawki - 2012-06-13 7:24 PM

you could have a look at these on ebay, they work fine

item number 180718164708

and that will work in a dongle purchased here?

Yeah

and the seller is very helpful

You don't say what kind of work your wife needs to do. If it's just keeping in touch and responding to emails then for that I find I can do most things on my smartphone. Indeed I now actually prefer to browse the forums and do quick googles etc on the phone. I use an iPhone and Vodafone data traveller which is £10 a month on contract or £2 per day on payg for 25mb per day an this works across Europe not just France. Coverage is excellent as it's not tied to on provider. I us opera mini browser which compresses web pages before downloading then so the 25mb is just loads on a smart phone. I can use it for hours and never go over.

For the laptop I have two wifi antennas Which I can mount on the ladder of the van or roof and to locate the wifi source I use inssider software which is quite useful.

The latest antenna I got from here www.motorhomewifi.com and it came with a suction mount which is dead useful.

Between the two I always got online

I would advise anyone thinking of buying an Orange Mobicarte to study the top-up conditions. For, instance the 5€ credit is only valid for 6 days, 12€ 12 days, 15€ 20 days and 25€ 2 months. Calls,even to French landlines are expensive. With the recent changes to phoning from abroad at o2 (50p connection and then use your own monthly minutes allowance) that seems to be a better option if you are on an o2 monthly contract. Data is now being charged at £1.99 per day.

Guest JudgeMental
wife getting IPad undecided if she should get 3G version. is there a sim that can be used throughout Europe?

Judge, we (the wife) got the 'new' iPad 3G on Thursday and she has ordered a Giffgaff Sim card although we have not yet decided on which route to go for data abroad.

As an aside, we require printing from the iPad (as well as our networked PCs) and this is not something that many people consider - Microsoft and Apple products dont generally work well together and buying an Airprint enabled printer or Wifi printer to replace our perfectly good Canon seemed to be a waste.

So, if you need to print to an already installed (to Windows) USB printer and cant work it out, PM me as I have been given a piece of software that effectively 'places' the USB printer on the network so that the iPad can see it.

Archived