Newbie basics

Pete-B

pelmetman - 2012-06-16 3:42 PM

bolero boy - 2012-06-16 3:29 PM

pelmetman - 2012-06-16 2:44 PM

A hole in a bucket covered with gaffa tape ;-)...............very useful :D

Do you fill your fresh water tank with the same 'holey' waste bucket as described in an earlier post? ;-)

Of course not *-)..............I keep my EHC in it and the holes stop it filling with water when plugged in :D..........Unless I need it for spot of dribbling ;-)

Let's hope the holes dont get bunged and the bucket fills with water when it's full of electrical cable.........................except when required for dribblimg B-)

Tracker - 2012-06-16 11:29 AM

S'funny how we all see the same thing from different angles!

We have never carried and never will a container for topping up which then has to be stored empty - and wet!

A hose on the other hand drains out quickly and rolls up neatly and compactly into a strong carrier bag for storage in any locker - preferably the gas locker!

.....t'is really ;-)

My 10 litre container certainly does have to be stored empty, and possibly wet - but it is only wet on the inside, and that wet stays on the inside because it has a screw cap. (The spout inverts into the container when not in use). I'd also like to think it's considerbly lighter and less bulky than 50ft of hose 8-) (and easier to drain, even though I don't need to ;-) )

Our (100L) tank would also last 4 or 5 days, which largely ties in with the (2x10L) top-ups per day. Easy enough to do, and with one simple bit of apparatus that covers all circumstances we've hit so far (and would have to be carried anyway - as we've certainly used locations where we couldn't have got the 'van within (even 50ft) hose distance of a tap).

My gas locker is full of gas :-S (admittedly, in the intermediate storage medium of bottles).

Guest pelmetman
bolero boy - 2012-06-16 3:48 PM

pelmetman - 2012-06-16 3:42 PM

bolero boy - 2012-06-16 3:29 PM

pelmetman - 2012-06-16 2:44 PM

A hole in a bucket covered with gaffa tape ;-)...............very useful :D

Do you fill your fresh water tank with the same 'holey' waste bucket as described in an earlier post? ;-)

Of course not *-)..............I keep my EHC in it and the holes stop it filling with water when plugged in :D..........Unless I need it for spot of dribbling ;-)

Let's hope the holes dont get bunged and the bucket fills with water when it's full of electrical cable.........................except when required for dribblimg B-)

I have that covered ;-).........as I expect the heat generated whilst the cable is coiled up in the bucket will evaporate any water :D

One more question! Probably a stupid one but here goes, you all talk of having various tap connectors but how do you change from one to other quickly, and surely on of these push on ones would fit most taps good enough to fill a tank wouldn't it, or isn't life that easy?

Pete-B - 2012-06-16 4:29 PM

or isn't life that easy?

Guess!

You can come across a whole range of taps, both plain ended and screwed, sometimes with a bayonet fitting already on sometimes with a lenght of hose, you name it and some campsite owners proboly fitted it. Our hose has a plastic 'funnel' this has so far fitted all we've come across, some better than others, but for 10mins filling time it will do.

Ours is 10m version of this, http://www.towsure.com/product/FillUp_5_Water_Tank_Filling_Hose

Guest Tracker

All of my screw on, press on, or clamp on tap fittings are capable of being connected to the filling hose via a Hozelock type connector.

A very short length of hose is fitted to each tap fitting to which it is simple to fit a suitable Hozelock connector as required.

The two most common sorts of tap fittings have a Hozelock fitting permanently fitted and the rare ones just a open ended bit of hose ready to accept said Hozelock coupling.

The hoses all interconnect with Hozelock type fittings - mainly 'el cheapo' copies as found at £1 shops etc because they will see very little use and wear and tear is not an issue.

Guest pelmetman

At Forges les Euax and being to idle to drive to the service point :D............I filled up from the push tap point with a push on connector, a walking stick and a guy rope to save me having to hold the button in B-)

Idleness is the mother of invention ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
as well as the various hoselock connectors we have one ot these. you need to cut out the internal ribs than it fits most taps....

female_tap_to_hose_connectors.jpg.2526fb44d21e3b5ee116126c2c69729c.jpg

Guest Tracker

That's the other fitting to the standard screw thread fit connector that I have fixed to a very short hose with a clip on connector attached to facilitate quick fixing and removal.

Like Eddie I too have reamed out the inside ribs to make it fit larger taps - but I also have an unmodified one to fit smaller taps and an even bigger one to fit - err - even fatter taps - and although those two have saved us from a drought situation a couple of times in our wanderings they very rarely get used!

bolero boy - 2012-06-14 1:09 PM

Good idea, we have a hatch like this but dont spill anything on the carpet!!

We also carry a 'drain pipe elbow' of the correct diameter (padded out with a bit of tape) which fits snugly in the water filler hole and acts as a fixed funnel so that top ups are easy from the outside too. Far more stable than a wobbly funnel.

I have an 'elbow' pipe too, but I also use the top part of my funnel (a black fuel funnel which unscrews into 2 parts) and by putting some tape around it, it fits snugly into the end of the elbow and makes it even easier to fill as you don't have to have such an accurate aim! :D

The below thread actually has some more info and pictures if you want to have a look! :-D

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20486&posts=27

bolero boy - 2012-06-16 11:23 AM

Rich, we do definitely operate a 'live and let die (oops) live' philosophy as do very many others in the mobile holidaying fraternity as (appear to) do you from your strapline.

However, the 'banter' is very quick to rear it's head when any suggestion is put forward that doesn't meet with a particular person's motorhoming template.

When experienced forumees are having a full on debate about some topic or another, let's all get stck in and have a few rounds of banter because we can all take it (yes, even me) but when the OP is a newbie looking for straightforward advice let's all try to help without forcing the issue on our own predelections.

Simple.

OK, I apologise if my attempt at humour misfired. I imagined you'd all have a little chuckle: clearly not. :$

The point I was trying to make - and obviously failed - was that there are also simple and direct (IMO) ways to fill the tank. It was not my intention to belittle anyone who does otherwise, just to point out to the OP, since he had asked, that simply placing a hose into the filler point on the van and turning on the tap is quick and simple. I accept that we all do our thing, sometimes much to the amusement of others, but there is, as ever, more than one way to skin the proverbial cat (now someone will go all sensitive over thoughts of skinning moggies! :-)), and the only way that had been mentioned to that point (reference to, I think, Swift peculiarities excepted) was use of some kind of container to transport the water.

But you implications are right, I don't really understand the concept that shifting the van to take on/dump water is more of a faff than paddling backwards and forwards with containers of any kind. The reverse seems the case to me: but that is me. But then, we seldom stay anywhere more than 3 days, only use a wind-out awning, seldom need a levelling ramp, and only need to replenish our 100 litres about every 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. However, I will invariably dump waste water on exit, assuming there is somewhere provided for the purpose.

Now, just in case......! :-) I'm not claiming this approach is right or wrong, just illustrating for the benefit of the OP, in case he may find it if use, how we manage water while on the road.

One big difference Brian to the throughput of water is whether site shower facilities or those in the van are used. I seem. to remember you mentioning that you prefer to use those on site hence the use of less water.with two people showering daily water use is higher, hence small regular top UPS.

Brian Kirby - 2012-06-16 9:24 PM

......we seldom need a levelling ramp...........

I think this may also be a fundamental difference between the Transit that you have and the Ducato that we have.

My perception (with a mini spirit level) is that the Ducato sits nose-down when parked on level ground.

Our pals have a Ducato based Oakmont and this is also the case.

So, after finding a nice level pitch, my first job is to level up :'( .

Sometimes we take advantage of a gentle slope to get the van in the 'right' way round to negate levelling. But, if blocks have been deployed, I am not likely to move the van for a 20 ltr top up.

Anyone else think the Ducato lies nose down (only a bit!).

Brian Kirby - 2012-06-15 6:14 PM

andy mccord - 2012-06-15 10:05 AM

The beauty of it chris is that even if you dont get all in the tank it only runs out on to the ground being an underslung tank, with practice it becomes a doddle, best lesson I Learnt from owning a swift, holding a 25 ltr jerry can of water whilst trying to pour it thro the fill up cap becomes extremely heavy fast.

Andy

What is wrong with you guys! :-D

There's a hole in the side of the van where the hose goes in. Put hose in hole, connect other end to water tap, turn on tap. Turn tap off when tank full. Job done.

Regards

What is all this faff with water bottles, hatches, funnels etc etc? Its a motorhome, for gawd's sake, not a bleedin' caravan. It's designed to be driven around with a tank full of fresh water.

You'll be telling me next you put a Wastemaster under the waste water outlet and take it to the caravan waste disposal point each morning.

Fill it and use it, then fill it again. Simples! :-)

Brian, what I failed to add was that I use this method for top ups only

Hi Pete-B

Welcome to the forum.

Bet you're sorry you asked! Have you ever seen so much discussion on H2O in your life?

You'll get used to this. Set the members going on something and they'll grab hold of it like a pit bull on your ankle. Trouble is, they usually shoot off in all directions, ending up on totally unrelated topics and with a bit of character assassination thrown in. But they mean well.

Two things not yet mentioned, 2 Hi-Vis jackets, essential abroad but good sense wherever you are. And if you've got a nice, brand new wagon, I would suggest you do what we did ten years ago when ours was new. Buy a roll of Self-adhesive Carpet Protector, the stuff they use in the showrooms. It may not look pretty when you're showing your friends around your new pride and joy but it will keep the carpet in showroom condition until the day you've had enough of the open road or want to trade-in.

We lay it down at the beginning of the season and renew it each Spring. Plenty of on-line suppliers (it's quite expensive from caravan 'shops'). Just found a new supplier, 'Trio Plus'. Haven't tried it yet but it looks ok.

(ps what does SWMBO stand for? Nobody else has asked so perhaps I'm thicker that I thought)

Archived