Another numpty question

Pete-B

Guest Tracker

Don't worry about the questions Pete - the answers are only easy when you know them.

230 Volts ac (alternating current) is mains supply and the internal mains voltage lights and 230 v gubbins only work when you have mains supply connected via the mains hook up cable.

12 volts dc (direct current) are on board battery operated items that only work from the battery - as long as the battery has not gone flat.

The battery is charged by either the mains supply or by the engine when it is running.

To clarify (or complicate) the issue you can run mains lights etc through what is known as an inverter which 'inverts and converts' 12 v dc to 230 v ac but vans do not generally come with these fitted and they very quickly flatten a battery unless you have more batteries or a solar panel to recharge the batteries - but now I'm getting complicated - so I will stop!

Anything else you don't understand please do not be afraid to ask as an expert (of which I am not one) is never far away on here!

I'm no electrician but here's my simplistic take on it.

There are two systems in most vans, 230v and 12v.

When you are on an EHU hook up, two things happen - one, the 230v sockets become live and two, the charger is acticated which replenishes the leisure and vehicle batteries. The 12v sockets are also live.

When you are not on EHU only the 12v sockets are live and any use of these will diminish the eiesure batteries which may be topped up by a solar panel.

Devices used in the van such as Tv, kettle etc will be designed to run on 12v, 230v or sometimes both.

For example a TV might be 12v but could have an external reducing transformer in an additional power lead to allow connection to a 230v socket making use of EHU. The TV is still a 12v TV which may be used in a 12v socket (with suitable connector) but may have the advantage of 230v aswell.

Although the 12v and 230v supplies are seperate, a 230v appliance (like our TV) can ve used on 12v when 230v EHU is not available. This is achieved by an inverter which is a device that is powered by 12v supply but outputs (via a 13A type socket) 230v supply.

Most internal van systems like lights and water pump work from 12v and therefore can be used in all situations provided there is juice in the battery.

Hope this helps.................. :-S

Archived