Just thought I'd share

LordThornber

Popped into Halfords today, as you do. My mountain bike is getting tired and I'm cycling to work more these days so thought I'd treat myself.

So they measure me for the frame and start discussing prices. I'd seen a road bike, which would be more suitable for my current needs reduced from £350 to £150.

The guy says we'll probably do you some discount if you want the display model, fine with me says I and they have a 3 for 2 deal on for accesories - plus £5.99 off whatever accesories you buy.

Are you keeping up?

Anyway, he says go and have a brew come back in an hour or so whilst we PDI it.

Back I go, all done and the best bit is that it barcoded at £130!! So £220 off original price, LED light set, mudguards and a spare inner tube, a 6 week service for £160.

A great ride home, (Lady T walked it ha ha), happy days indeed.

Chris Boardman

LordThornber - 2012-06-17 5:52 PM

Popped into Halfords today, as you do. My mountain bike is getting tired and I'm cycling to work more these days so thought I'd treat myself.

I seem to remember that you were working in the Nelson area CHRIS. 20 odd mile each way in the pouring rain should be fun :-D Do you use the M65... :D :D

Dave

Halfords tag line always was "we go the extra mile" It must be difficult for them to compete with the supermarkets and Argos etc, except that they have donkeys years of experience of building and selling bikes. You know they will always be there to fix it if there is a problem too. Doubt that that would be the case if you bought a bike from a supermarket!!

Guest Peter James

We was robbed. I got mine from Decathlon in Alicante last year for 80 Euros.

Then when I got home I had vouchers from Tesco spend £40 and get £10 off.

So I went to Tesco Extra and saw bikes reduced to £50

vindiboy - 2012-06-18 9:14 AM

Well done, that is the first time I have ever seen any praise for Halfords.

I worked for them for years, when they were owned by Boots, they were an excellent company to work for, like a big family. Things changed when venture capitalists took over, and I left then, but the fact that Halfords have managed to keep going all these years proves they are doing something right. We were always getting bikes that people had bought from Tesco in for repair. Its ok stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap, but there was nobody at Tesco to sort out any problems with them afterwards. *-)

nowtelse2do - 2012-06-17 8:28 PM

I seem to remember that you were working in the Nelson area CHRIS. 20 odd mile each way in the pouring rain should be fun :-D Do you use the M65... :D :D

Dave

33 mile round trip actually, you must be bloody joking Dave, no I finished at Colne at Xmas, back in Blackburn now for BMW, it's about 7 mile round trip. And only when it's dry!!!

Bob, make sure you send a sympathy card :D :D

Martyn

vindiboy - 2012-06-18 9:14 AM

Well done, that is the first time I have ever seen any praise for Halfords.

It's funny isn't it? I've heard some folk really slagging Halfords off, but I, like most I guess, work on the take as you find basis.

This is my 3rd cycle from them, never had any issues, (touching wood) and yesterday they bent over backwards to get it ready.

Perhaps it was because I said there was no hurry, a couple of days will do if you're busy?

Martyn

Guest Peter James

I only go to Halfords when I have been everywhere else and they have sold out.

I check the price when I am at the other places, and have always found Halfords the most expensive.

A pack of bulbs in Poundland might be a tenner in Halfords.

I fitted a Halfords oil filter when I couldn't get one anywhere else.

When I came to remove it, the body turned, whilst the plate stayed tight - it was so poorly crimped.

The engine was lathered in oil from where it had leaked through the join.

I had to cut the canister body off with a chisel so I could get to the plate to get it off.

Archived