Seemed a good idea at the time......

josie gibblebucket

Bought an old moped, so we can get rid of one of the cars. Seemed to be fine when I got it, now it won't start. Any ideas anyone? Its 2 stroke, has fuel in it but is not even firing now. Battery low, but won't kick start either, don't know what else to try really. Was serviced just before I got it :'( I suppose it could be flooded?

Yeah,the Kill switch,tends to catch folk out... (lol)

..I recall once trying to kick start my old Yamaha XS 750 at 5 in the mornin(in for work at 6)...I was sweating like a pig fro ages,trying to kickstart the damn thing..'til I realised I must've caught the kill switch when taking the cover off!?..Ooh How I laughed!.. *-)

Hi guys, its a Motoroma roadrunner 50. Don't think it has a kill switch? Just a start button or a kickstart. Doesn't help that the kickstart is on the left, sounds ridiculous, but if you are right handed like me, you are kind of right legged too 8-) :-S Didn't even seem to be firing yesterday, haven't tried yet today. But the battery was too flat for the electric start - even though it was supposedly a brand new battery :-( If it has just been serviced as I beleive it has, it shouldn't be needing a new spark plug or anything so don't really know what else to try, except maybe see if I can get the battery on charge.

Guest Tracker

If it were mine I would take the plug out and ensure it is clean and has the right size gap as plug fouling used to be the bane of many a two stroke engine.

Whilst it is out and if there is no smell of petrol kick the engine over a few times with choke closed to see if fuel is getting through?

If it is too wet (flooded) open the choke, open the throttle, turn the fuel off and kick it over a few times to dry it out.

Can you put a charger or jump leads on the battery as maybe it needs battery to power the spark?

Moped engines used to have magneto generators for the spark, in the pre electric start days, but perhaps these days they rely on the battery with an alternator to keep the battery charged so perhaps if the battery is new you may have a dodgy alternator - or whatever else the engine uses to charge the battery.

Thanks Tracker. Unfortunately it has an automatic choke and there is no facility for turning the fuel on or off (something you always used to have to do when I had bikes in the seventies), it looks like I will have to go and buy some jumpleads then as we don't have any. Will it be ok to jump it off the car? Its only a tiny battery. So from what you are saying, you think it needs some juice in the battery even to kick start it?

Guest Tracker

I really don't know Nicola - but it is just a hunch that as it has electric start it may not have any other form of power source for the spark until the engine is actually running and if the battery is flat you can't start it to find out!

Be wary of jump leads as although the voltage won't hurt it - as long as it is 12 volts - the terminals are probably very small and close together making it a bit iffy to use conventional jump leads without the risk of a short circuit and loadsa sparks and possibly fire or electrical damage.

Better to either take the battery off or connect a charger to it in situ - best check whether it is 6 or 12 volts before you do though!

At the risk of stating the obvious - I suppose you do have fuel in the tank!!

Jumping it off the car might not be a good idea......you might be overloading the bike elec system.  I would suggest it's flooded.  Take the plug out and if it's wet you'll need to clean and dry it fully and try again.  Just because it's a new plug doesn't mean it's always going to 'fire up'. 

Another test is take the plug out ....leave it connected to the lead and hold it against a metal part of the scooter.  Kick the engine over or turn it over on the elecky start and see if there is a spark.

josie gibblebucket - 2012-06-18 11:33 AM

Will it be ok to jump it off the car? Its only a tiny battery. So from what you are saying, you think it needs some juice in the battery even to kick start it?

Be careful. a lot of small 'peds are only 6 volt.

ebay link for new battery http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Battery-YTX4LBS-Moto-Roma-Roadrunner-50-2001-2005-/200665855447?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2eb89df5d7

Yes I think so, well I might have flooded it as well by trying so hard to kickstart it.................. :-|

Someone has just given me a helmet, so I'm off to try it shortly, haven't been on a bike sonce 1978 so hope it won't be too scary....................... :-S

If I'm not around on here for a while, you'll know I fell off and can't type!!!

I don't want to sound like an over anguish parent..but I would strongly recommend signing up for some basic (re)training...

A helluva lot has changed since the late '70s...(..and not just with the roads & traffic either..but,dare I say it,also with you.. (lol) )

;-)

pepe63 - 2012-06-20 11:24 AMI don't want to sound like an over anguish parent..but I would strongly recommend signing up for some basic (re)training...A helluva lot has changed since the late '70s...(..and not just with the roads & traffic either..but,dare I say it,also with you.. (lol) ) ;-)

Nah...just get out there and ride it.....just be aware and remember when on two wheels 'everyone else out there is trying to kill you'.....it focuses the mind on riding and observation with safety in mind.

You're right..you do have to assume that everyone is out to get you...

I've been "T boned" a couple of times(..and that was when I was on fairly big bikes,1000cc and 1200cc,with the headlights on,which should be pretty hard to overlook)...

You usually get the "..sorry mate,I didn't see you"...

That's because they didn't bl**dy look!! 8o|

I do think that,before being allowed to drive a car,it would be a good idea that folk should have to do 12 months on two wheels...

It'd certainly make them more aware of the dangers on the roads...an awareness that the majority just don't get when they're "coccooned" in their ABS'd,air bagged,air con'd and blue-tooth enabled cars.

(Quick correction to my previous post: I should of cause have put "anxious" and not "anguish"... :$ )

OMG 8-) I managed 3 x round the block, scared the hell out of me! Didn't like cornering, didn't feel safe going downhill, in fact felt incredibly vulnerable having had a car for the last 35 years! Hope I'll get used to it, hated it when I saw a car about to overtake, sure I was wobbling, (and I don't mean my fat bits (lol) ) Thank goodness we only live in a village! Still if I practice a little everyday.................... :-D

Hi Josie

Having some training will boost your confidence a lot quicker than just relying on improvement whilst riding alone. Especially as it's such a long time since you were last riding regularly.

Re the gift of your helmet - Is it showing ANY signs or damage or wear, if so treat yourself to a brand new one.

Don't become a statistic, for the sake of a few quid.

Grrrr, bloomin thing won't start again, had to leave it at work and walk home today. On Monday it started but died before I got 20 yards up the road, so had to rush back and get the car or be late for work. It has been suggested I get some carb cleaner and spray in or on? Is that good advice - does anyone know? and is it something I can easily do myself? >:-) >:-) >:-) Annoying thing is that when it runs properly, it goes well and sounds like it should, so I don't think it can be anything too serious........

Guest Tracker

When you say wouldn't start what do you mean Nicola?

Is the battery flat, does the engine turn over, can you smell petrol when it does, will it bump start, is there enough fuel in the tank as a full tank might help the fuel to flow better, is there a spark, come on give us a clue!!

PS

Now you know why it was sold!!!!

Archived