Silver Screens for Transit Cab

dipsticks

Just my 2d worth......a total waste of money.  This type of screens did nothing for condensation in my Rollerteam Transit based MH and went in the bin.  If anyone is looking for screens that 'do the job right' look no further than real 'Silver Screen' covers......a bit pricey but they do the job and do it right.

Siver Screens that go on the outside work very well. My set came with the M/H and I was not convinced they would do much. but when I tried them out they eliminated condensation and made the interior much more snug. They also cut down any noise from the fron area.

H

We used internal screens which did create a lot of condensation. Last Nov. I read reviews of Silverscreens external (originals) & ordered a set including engine bonnet cover. They seemed wonderful, kept motorhome very warm in winter. After a couple of months we started having trouble fitting them on round the doors. We had not used the bonnet cover for about a month but when we did it would not fit. The owner of Silverscreens claimed we should not have left them on during the winter. Apparently they should not get wet then be allowed to dry! As they are supposedly also for summer use a summer shower followed by sunshine would presumably be fatal for them.

The owner refunded our money but I urge caution to anyone thinking of buying these. We were very disappointed with them. It is a wonderful idea if someone can come up a more durable material that will withstand the weather but we shall just use our Reki blinds from now on.

RogerC - 2012-06-18 11:44 AM

Just my 2d worth......a total waste of money.  This type of screens did nothing for condensation in my Rollerteam Transit based MH and went in the bin.  If anyone is looking for screens that 'do the job right' look no further than real 'Silver Screen' covers......a bit pricey but they do the job and do it right.

Pity you threw them in the bin.....people pay good money for them on ebay. (lol)

The condensation problem is solved simply by venting your van.

The internal vs. external argument is a long running debate between MH'ers and i've had both types of screens and these are my 'pros and cons' on both;

INTERNAL

PROS

No need to stand outside in the pouring rain to fit them.

Can easily be removed without having to leave the van should a swift departure be needed.

Will always remain dry.

Price.....cheaper than external.

CONS

Can be a bit fiddly to fit.

EXTERNAL

PROS

Generally better insulation than internal.

CONS

Fitted from the outside so if it's raining......tough, you are going to get wet!

Will need a bag to hold them in as they will often be packed soaking wet or damp.

Cannot be removed without exiting the van, so if a swift departure is needed you and your van will be vulnerable.

Price........many are 'silly money', particularly those with a fold up 'privacy panel'.

I've used Silver Screens external insulation screens (the branded product) on all three of my motorhomes in hot, cold, wet and dry conditions. V.g. at preventing condensation in cold weather and v.g. at reducing cab heating up in bright sunshine and hot weather (when did we last see that?) Never had any problem. The accuracy of the fit of the screens for the Transit is not as good as it was on either my Renault and Fiat base vehicles, but its good enough. There is a knack to fitting them and there are different models depending on whether your motorhome is also fitted with internal Remis blinds to the cab doors. I'd rather spend a couple of minutes putting them on and taking them off the next morning, even if it's raining, than having to mop up condensation on the inside of the windscreen, which usually leaves an awfull mess.

Richard.

Inernal screens do not stop condensation but external ones do. Although you may get wet putting them on and taking them off they do not hold water and dry very quickly. If you don't wild camp you have no need to drive off in a hurry! We have tried both types made by Taylormade and now use external ones for colder weather the ones that go over the engine air inlets. We also use just a front screen in summer to help keep the van cool when it is hot. Taylormade are good quality, light and usually cheaper than Silver Screens. www.taylormade-screen-covers.co.uk Phone 01484 661918.We have no connection to Taylormade just satisfied customers.

Regarding this issue of condensation with internal screens, I really cannot understand what you guys are doing other than sitting in an airtight motorhome.

Condensation forms through no other reason than a vehicle (or property for that matter), not being able to 'breathe'......in other words, not vented.

I've had condensation in my car when i've had all the vents shut and forgot to re-open them when parking it overnight.

My van is currently parked up with a full set of internal screens and I just leave the panel control vent set to 'open'......never get one drop of condensation. When sleeping in it I always have one of the roof vents open, just the same as I always have my bedroom window at home slightly open.

Vent your Van!!

Bulletguy - 2012-06-18 10:34 PM

Regarding this issue of condensation with internal screens, I really cannot understand what you guys are doing other than sitting in an airtight motorhome.

Condensation forms through no other reason than a vehicle (or property for that matter), not being able to 'breathe'......in other words, not vented.

I've had condensation in my car when i've had all the vents shut and forgot to re-open them when parking it overnight.

My van is currently parked up with a full set of internal screens and I just leave the panel control vent set to 'open'......never get one drop of condensation. When sleeping in it I always have one of the roof vents open, just the same as I always have my bedroom window at home slightly open.

Vent your Van!!

While it's certainly true that seriously 'ventilating' a motorhome will help to address condensation on cab windows (easily proved by leaving both cab doors wide open!) such ventilation is plainly not always possible, or even desirable.

On my Transit-based Hobby I use internal screens (from Van Comfort), plus the Remis cab blinds, plus a thick curtain that drapes around the cab in front of the seats. However, in cold damp weather, I still get plenty of condensation on the inner surfaces of the cab glass. And the colder/damper the weather, the greater the amount of condensation. In my case opening the cab dashboard vents makes no difference. Both of the Hobby's roof-vents have integrated 'permanent ventilation' and I'm definitely not going to leave the roof-vents open overnight to gain additional ventilation and risk water pouring in if it rains heavily.

The reasons for window condensation are summarised here

http://www.meaco.com/condensation.asp

The only time I get no condensation on the inside of the Hobby's cab windows is when the weather is particularly hot and dry - which is exactly what one would anticipate - or when the vehicle is not being used and the air conditions inside and outside of the motorhome are the same (again as one would expect).

On my previous Herald Templar motorhome I used no cab screens, just a pair of thick curtains that pulled across to separate the cab completely from the vehicle's living-area. With the curtains closed little or no condensation formed on the cab glass, as the air conditions within the cab matched the air conditions outside. But one had to be pretty quick-moving in the morning in cold/wet weather to draw the curtains and fling open the cab doors, otherwise condensation would immediately form on the cab glass as the inside/outside air conditions diverged.

I've seen plenty of motorhomes that have overnighted and shown no signs of condensation on their cab windows in the morning, but none of these have had internal cab screens fitted, using a separating curtain instead. Conversely, I've yet to see a motorhome (be it cheap and cheerful like my Hobby or ultra-expensive A-class) that has overnighted with interior cab screens fitted that hasn't shown a similar level of cab-window condensation to that of my own motorhome.

Ditto apart from the screens, have a set but never use em even in winter ..... I am too nosey and like to see whats going on :-D

Must admit I don't bother with screens apart from summer which I use to keep the heat out, or at least reduce it. I find the curtaining plenty adequate enough and have slept in this van and the previous in all weathers.

I use a 'four season' sleeping bag designed for mountaineering which was quite expensive when I bought it....BUT that bag is now 25 years old. Often in summer I sleep on it rather than in it. Being a solo traveller perhaps i'm fortunate in that I only have myself to consider and nobody else, but from personal habit I have never slept, and cannot sleep without ventilation. Both at home or in my van there is always a vent open.....even if it's pissing down with rain (if you angle your vent right it won't rain in).

As previously mentioned I sometimes get condensation forming in my car when i've forgot to leave the vent open for air to circulate, but the blower, air-con and heated windscreen would shift it within seconds.

Now though my van has a heated windscreen and obviously a heater/blower as well, it has no air-con.......which leaves me wondering. Don't any of you have air-con in your vans?

Archived