Mosquitoes in UK

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
Syd - 2012-06-20 11:59 PM

Hi Judge

Just in case you did not know it it is only the female midges that bite you (lol)

Oh! Thats all right then! :-S

Guest JudgeMental
WA Michael - 2012-06-22 8:08 AM

Interesting that your respondents have noticed that different areas have their own types of insect. It's true, and we noticed this on our last trip. But the one thing that gets the mossies is Mosquito Coils, any expedition equipment place should have them. They are a sort of clay which burns very slowly and they come with a free stand. Light one and put it where the air comes into the vehicle at night and you should, with minor experimentation, have few problems. They are spiral and usually green in colour.

Thanks! have been using for coils for many years, but Citronella candles a bit more pleasant. I dont think the wife would appreciate mosquito coils around inside the home:-D . My camper is equiped fully for dealing with the blighter's.... Just was not expecting to get attacked in South London.....

Hi All,

just been down to the New Forest for a few days and have been bitten on the shoulder. Big lump appeared and a bit painfull. Guess it was the horsefly that I sent to his maker.

On a serious note, went to my local chemist make sure that it was an insect bite, and was prescribed "Hydrocortisone Cream 1%" and told to use it 2xdaily for a max of 1 week. It is helping.

Will be more carefull and use anti fly/mossie repellents in future.

Mike

Archived