Downsizing to an Autosleeper Topaz

mike 202

I am considering downsizing from my A/S Windsor 2008 coachbuilt this vehicle to a New VW based A/S Topaz. Fiat/Peaugeot PVC's will not be a big enough downsize from the 6.23 mtr Windsor.

The Windsor is stored and we would like something that would fit up our drive and that we could use more often especially for short trips (2/3 days) 50% sites with electric and days out.

My wife and I are both retired and we spend 6/7 weeks away in France and Spain twice a year, we use some sites and some aires on the journey to and from Spain.

For personal reasons a toilet compartment is essential, not a pull out porta-potti.

I welcome any fors or against, especially the diesel blown air system reliability and if the fitted 85 A/H battery is good enough, I have my doubts ?

Thanks in anticipation

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

I think a VW size van a step to far for reasonably comfortable touring. You can get shorter panel vans as well which still have most of the facilities you need....

You can sleep width ways in a ducato

Looks like I was being a bit blinkered in my outlook. Tony I am more than happy with my Ford base so will look at your suggestion.

I dont know why but I thought that the VW was significantly narrower than Ford ot Puegeot, just shows that looks can be deceptive. I will now look a lot further with the good advice that i have been given.

Just proves that the forum members are always ready to help, thank you all. Any further comments will be most welcome

Mike

Guest peter
Tony Jones - 2012-06-18 6:24 PM

If you've been happy with your Ford, you should at least look at Horizons models.

A Cavarno like ours would fit on your drive and provide full "off-site" facilities.

But if you feel that's too small they do have couple of larger versions now.

Are you on comission Tony?. You never miss a chance to promote your vans makers. :D

Hi, my main reason to downsize is to be able to use the M/H on a daily basis, so travelling around in a coachbuilt, shopping and day trips to beach/forest car parks becomes practical as I could keep it at home and not have to travel 15 miles to get it. An overall length of around 16/17 feet and width more panel van and less coachbuilt, but with the essential of a toilet compartment.

I have looked at the Cavarno and as they are not too far from Portsmouth will go and have a look.

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

Globecar do an under 5.7 m van on the Ford....well built and insulated for a panelvan. German dealer I used last time had some RHD UK spec ones for under £25K (£36K here *-) ) German has the rear lounge model

SMC UK agents (hopeless web site) http://www.smcmotorhomes.co.uk/globecar.html

http://globecar.de/de/modelle/d-line/fortscout.html

mike 202 - 2012-06-18 6:17 PM

...especially the diesel blown air system reliability and if the fitted 85 A/H battery is good enough, I have my doubts ?

Thanks in anticipation

Mike

Unreliability should not be an issue with a simple Eberspacher diesel-fuelled blown-air heater, but an 85Ah battery would (in my view) be marginal capacity-wise.

It's always difficult to find accurate figures for the width of PVCs - some quote the basic body width, some with mirrors folded and some with mirrors extended.

My understanding is that the relative, comparable, widths are:

VW T5 1,904mm

Renault Trafic 1,904 mm

Ford Transit 1,974mm

Fiat Ducato 2,050mm

So the Transit is just under 3in wider than the VW and the Fiat just under 6in wider in old money.

The Topaz seems to me to be a touch pricey and when I have sat in one at the shows the seats always feel a bit shallow as if they're van sized rather than people sized. The Vantage Zen on the Renault Trafic is an interesting alternative but it does not have a proper toilet/shower compartment.

Other than the Horizons Cavarno on the mwb Transit (5,230mm/17ft 2in long) I can't off the top of my head think of any compact PVCs with a full shower compartment and a similar layout to the Topaz.

peter - 2012-06-18 9:21 PM

Tony Jones - 2012-06-18 6:24 PM

If you've been happy with your Ford, you should at least look at Horizons models.

A Cavarno like ours would fit on your drive and provide full "off-site" facilities.

But if you feel that's too small they do have couple of larger versions now.

Are you on comission Tony?. You never miss a chance to promote your vans makers. :D

I wish! Then I'd REALLY plug them!

No, just a very satisfied customer more than willing to say so. And since they're a small outfit, not everyone knows they're around (unlike the "Auto-everything" brigade)

Guest JudgeMental

Adria Active. 5.4 metre

http://2012.adria-mobil.com/we-en/vans/twin/active

here is a video but it is of the Titan model in grey. the standard wood finish more popular, but it gives you an idea what the van is like

Proper bed, small bathroom. The bed swings up giving a big load carrying space when not on holiday....4 seats so very practical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oblOIT52XCw

Guest JudgeMental
Tony Jones - 2012-06-20 6:37 PM

Is this the one you can have in an "A-Team" paint job Eddie?

Always sort of fancied that, but I suspect I'd only need a single bed if I got one!!! 8-)

No smaller version of mine really but you can have these.... :D

DAMN and BLAST Vicar! I cant load pics! *-)

Always been put off downsizing to a PVC due to lack of storage space thinking we would miss the garage in our present AutoTrail but we have seen a neat little GRP unbraked trailer which would be easy to tow and solve the space for folding bike, chairs, BBQ wine and the Bear etc. Could be the best of both worlds!

Guest JudgeMental
Colin Leake - 2012-06-20 10:19 PM

Always been put off downsizing to a PVC due to lack of storage space thinking we would miss the garage in our present AutoTrail but we have seen a neat little GRP unbraked trailer which would be easy to tow and solve the space for folding bike, chairs, BBQ wine and the Bear etc. Could be the best of both worlds!

I get all that stuff (not sure about a bear though) plus more under the rear bed in our panel van.....

Colin Leake - 2012-06-20 10:19 PM

Sorry Colin, you couldn't carry the bear in there ... you'd have to get one of those expensive dog trailers for him!!! :D

Archived