Windscreen Wiper Blades

Derek Uzzell

This is an earlier forum thread relating to windscreen-wiper blades

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26067&posts=20

In it I warned that, for anyone considering fitting to a left-hand-drive vehicle ‘flat design’ wiper-blades (or blades with a permanently-attached spoiler) would need to ensure that the blades were suitable for the vehicle’s wiper pattern.

I recently purchased a twin-pack of flat-design wiper blades for my 2005 Transit Mk 6-based Hobby. These have a symmetrical cross-section, so are OK for LHD or RHD vehicles (and also for Transit Mk 7s). Details are here and (in my case) delivery took place within 24 hours of placing the order.

http://tinyurl.com/d5o5y77

Performance is good in light or heavy rain and they are (so far) quiet in action, unlike the traditional design Bosch “Super Plus” blades I had previously been using that had tended to be noisy unless it was raining hard.

Bosch have also confirmed to me that their “Aerotwin” Retrofit Flat blades have a symmetrical cross-section and are thus suitable for LHD or RHD vehicles. These ‘universal’ Bosch flat blades are identifiable by their Product Code (eg. AR26U indicates an Aerotwin Retrofit 26" universal flat blade). However, a potential downside for owners of Transit Mk 6/7s is that the maximum blade-length currently available for the Bosch product is 26” and the length of the Transit’s standard driver-side blade is 28”.

Derek,

Since all Transits now have flat blades as standard; why not just buy the replacement blades from a Ford dealer and be sure of getting the right lengths? I have heard a great many complaints about Transits, but none regarding the quality or longevity of their wiper blades. There can't be much in it price wise either, but at the end of the day it does not matter if the alternative item is the wrong size.

Nick

euroserv - 2012-06-21 1:48 PM

Derek,

Since all Transits now have flat blades as standard; why not just buy the replacement blades from a Ford dealer and be sure of getting the right lengths? I have heard a great many complaints about Transits, but none regarding the quality or longevity of their wiper blades. There can't be much in it price wise either, but at the end of the day it does not matter if the alternative item is the wrong size.

Nick

Not something I was aware of. Presumably the wiper arrms on the latest Transits are unchanged and the 'flat' wiper blades you mention have a symmetrical cross-section suitable for LHD and RHD wiper configurations?

Obviously, if the Ford blades would fit my Hobby and the price was not an issue, it could be sensible to choose the OE product. I have to say I never rated tmy Transit's OE wiper blades as they were noisy and 'scrubbed' badly.

Just in case the difference between 'aerofoil' wiper blades for RHD or LHD vehicles is not appreciated, this is a link to a website marketing Bosch blades

http://www.windscreenwipersdirect.co.uk/24_28_Wiper_Blade_s/13.htm

The blades shown are Bosch's "Aerotwin" Multi-Clip design and (as they are available in 24" and 28" lengths) they should, in principle, be suitable for RHD Mk 6/Mk 7 Transits. However, it will be apparent that these blades' upper surface has a non-symmetrical aerofoil-shape designed to cause air-pressure to force the blade against the windscreen when the vehicle is in motion. If this design of blade is inverted (as will happen if fitted to a LHD Transit where the wipers sweep from horizontal to the left rather than to the right) the aerofoil shaping will be wrong and the effect unpredictable.

Conversely, Bosch's "Aerotwin" Retrofit blades have a symmetrical upper surface (not evident from advertising photos) and are suitable for LHD or RHD wiper patterns.

There's only a one-letter Product Code difference between the two types of blade (eg. AM24U for a 24" Multi-Clip blade and AR24U for a 24" Retrofit blade) so there's a need for care if you have an LHD vehicle. As I said earlier, the Aerotwin Retrofit blades currently only go to a 26" length, though there's a 28" Aerotwin Multi-Clip version.

I notice that GOOGLE-ing on "transit flat wiper blades" retrieves details of some very cheap 'flat' blades being offered via amazon. Quality seems to be questionable (a customer review says "...Have thrown these in the bin (and they're only 50 minutes old). Do not buy these wipers.") and, if they have a non-symmetrical aerofoil cross-section, they will be suitable for RHD Transits only.

Casual on-line research leads me to believe that 'flat' wiper-blades stocked by Ford dealers will be suitable only for RHD vehicles - which would really be no surprise. Ford's on-line OE wiper-blade asking prices are generally significantly higher than the £17.10 (including delivery) I paid for a pair of universal flat blades. In my case, as the nearest Ford dealership is 15 miles away, buying from a Ford agency would not be financially rational.

All sounds very complicated and expensive, so I shall stick to buying cheap blades much longer than I need, removing the rubbers and place in existing blade frames curtting to length. Oh hold on, this is complicated as well because not all cheap blades have decent rubber in them, but I have found one in Germany, Kaufland supermarkets K Classic blades.

I read the above posts on wiper blades and after reading it i decided that my MK Transit needed a new set of wiper blades. After buying a set at one off the motorhome shows last year at a cost of £12 i had not got good service out of them at all. On leaving the show ground on Monday and heading up the M6 it started to rain and the wipers would not clean the screen properly had to revert to my old ones again.

I ordered a set from www.wiperblade.com.uk/ /// Wiper Blades B-28 & B-24 Twin Pack there own brand ordered them at PM Friday and they arrived in the 12 o clock post. After arriving i fitted them a very good time to be tasting them as it was lashing down with rain i them drove to my brothers some 35 miles to do a job for him and then back home. All i can say they are out of this world far far better than the ones fitted by Transit well worth the money anyone thinking of buying these for there motorhome don't wait they are great

david1949 - 2012-06-23 12:42 PM

I read the above posts on wiper blades and after reading it i decided that my MK Transit needed a new set of wiper blades. After buying a set at one off the motorhome shows last year at a cost of £12 i had not got good service out of them at all. On leaving the show ground on Monday and heading up the M6 it started to rain and the wipers would not clean the screen properly had to revert to my old ones again.

I ordered a set from www.wiperblade.com.uk/ /// Wiper Blades B-28 & B-24 Twin Pack there own brand ordered them at PM Friday and they arrived in the 12 o clock post. After arriving i fitted them a very good time to be tasting them as it was lashing down with rain i them drove to my brothers some 35 miles to do a job for him and then back home. All i can say they are out of this world far far better than the ones fitted by Transit well worth the money anyone thinking of buying these for there motorhome don't wait they are great

The website address you've provided is incorrect, but I think your blades may be the same as shown in the link I provided in my original posting of this thread. The address of the website I bought through is www.wiperblades.co.uk and I've repeated below the link to the 28" and 24" blade twin-pack that I purchased.

http://tinyurl.com/d5o5y77

Archived