Ford Ravenna 2.4TD auto info please

mauramac

Hi everyone I have seen an AutoSleeper Ravenna (2002) which has an auto gearbox with the buttons on the dashboard. It appears to be a good buy but I am a little concerned about the power of the engine for this model. I seem to recall being told that Ford Auto engines between 2000 and 2004 were fitted with the lowest power turbo diesel motor (90PS) in the Transit range. How can I find out about this particular vehicle and if it is the lower power version will it be painfully slow for the Ravenna. Thanks for any advice, and please can you keep it in simple language as I really struggle with anything too technical - sorry *-) Maura

You should have absolutely no problem with the Ford power unit (90 PS) output on an auto (Durashift) gearbox. You will be able to cruise comfortably at 75 mph and it will climb hills comfortably. I've driven over the Pyrenees and Alps with no problem whatsoever. Just let the gearbox do the work. The Durashift box is absolutely great, and unlike most automatics, gives better fuel consumption than the manual version. Hope this helps.

Thanks Olley I was looking at the Ford Auto 2.4 on a Ravenna but am totally confused. Somewhere else I read that Ford didn't or couldn't put Turbo on their Automatics so not sure if this vehicle is a TD or not or if it is an old 90 bhp or the newer 125 bhp. I could always go back to the Dealer >:-( but at the moment sticking pins in my eyes seems preferable to that 8-) Autosleepers website is cr*p but I could always telephone them I suppose. Thanks for the info. M.

The 90 and 125 2.4 engines were sold alongside each other. Both engines are the same except one has a higher bhp than the other. One is neither older nor newer than the other. The 125 engine was an optional extra. In 2002 auto was available only on the 90 engine. Both engines are turbo powered. Why not phone Autosleepers. They are normally very helpful.

Year 2000-onwards 2.4 litre Transit motors are all turbo diesels. Earlier Durashift-equipped models had 90PS motors then 125PS version became an option (2004 sounds right for 125PS/Durashift introduction). The motor's power output is shown on the cab doors (but 2002 model will definitely have 90PS motor) and possibly on the top of the motor itself. I never found my 100PS Herald under-powered, so I'm confident you wouldn't find a 90PS Ravenna "painfully slow". But it will be noticeably less lively than the 125PS version, particularly on long upslopes and especially if loaded to the chassis maximum. It's just a simple fact of life that 90PS and 3500kg will never result in Ferrari performance. (Nor will 125PS and 3500kg for that matter!) If you thought it necessary you could always get the motor 'chipped' for a bit more oomph.

Thanks guys I knew I could get comprehensive answers and it all makes sense now. I have a bit of trouble retaining the info over a long period (not being sexist here but I think its a 'girl' thing - men seem to be much better at remembering that sort of stuff). I'm sure Derek gave me a lot of detail on this before and I do apologise for asking again :$ however, I feel like I have looked at just about every type of vehicle/make/layout/chassis over the last 18 months or more and you can't keep all that info stored in your bonce can you? Thanks again Maura

Maura If you are still looking it may be worth your while to start a simple spreadsheet for the difeerent manufacturers chassis/engine combinations. Most manufacturers would be pleased to help if you explain your postition to them. This would make selection of a suitable conversion easier as you can write off unsuitable one before getting tool excited. Good luck with the hunt Docted

Hi Doc yes been meaning to get started on that spreadsheet but put it off in case I started to over research the whole thing. I am inclined to do that when I buy anything, from a washing machine to a car. I look and look and research it to death and usually no idea if I am better off or not at the end of it all. This is a fairly new phenomena for me - only started when I gave up work - too much time on my hands and I am worried I am becoming a compulsive researcher (lol) . My reason for all this was as a total newcomer to motorhoming I had absolutely no idea at all what all those strange sounding names, makes, specs, engines, were all about. I mean everyone knows what a Ford Mondeo is but when I first started looking at motorhomes you had Hymermobile's with dozens of numbers on Fiats and Mercedes and even the odd Citroen, then Heralds on Fords (Poole built!), Starmists and Stargazers, Possl's 8-) and MWB panel van conversions, high top, pop tops, Swifts, Adrias, Great West Van's, Roadtreks, Compass Calypso, Rapido's, Eriba's, Auto sleepers Auto Trails, Autocruise, Auto blooming everything (apart from gear box!!) and these just a small selection ...............need I say more? I currently buy MMM Mag ;-) and Which Mag ;-) (hope your'e reading this Ed) and Practical Motorhome and every now and then various other camping and caravan mags. So you see I have become totally hooked and still no ruddy Motorhome. Maybe there should be a 'Priory' type MH clinic for people like me, who need help. Hubby thinks we almost there - I do hope he is right, if only for my sanity. .....now where is my Excel log on?? M.

Archived