Porto

ballargan

Hi All

Am going to Porto in September and I am having problems finding a campsite suitable for a five day stay. Preferably would have transport nearby. I have found a couple which may be suitable. Parque de Campismo Marisol is one but I can't find a website for it. The other is Camping Obitur Madalena which seems to tick all the boxes. Any comments on these and any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ballargan :-D

We used Madalena in autumn 2009. GPS: N41.10798 W8.65570 Like a lot of the Orbitur sites it was a little long in the tooth, but was fine otherwise, well maintained and the facilities clean. Be aware that most of the trees on site are eucalyptus, and if it rains while you're there you'll discover why they are called blue gums! The site was very dry and dusty, and pitches are not clearly defined, but there is plenty of space if you have a good prowl around before stopping. I would only say don't get too far off the site roads, because when it does rain that dust gets a mite sticky, so the shortest route from van to road is desirable!

Not many shops in surrounding area, but there is a good Carrefour where a motorhome can be parked at Vila Nova de Gaia, about 2.5 miles NNE from Madelena. GPS: N41.13880 W8.63878 (have a look on Google Earth, right lane, and turn right, to ground level car park. There is also a large Auchan nearby, but with most parking under the building, so presumably with restricted headrooms, and far less open air parking.) Might pay to stock up before arriving, at least on heavy items.

If you want sea, it is only a stone's throw from the site.

Good bus service to Porto in Rua do Cerro, alongside the site. The ride is is something else: the bus hurtles down roads barely wider than itself, with no pavement, and houses both sides. Anyone sticking their nose out of their front door would lose it! Its worth the modest cost just for the ride, better than anything on a fairground! :-)

We used Camping Madalena in May, it had rained quite hard before we arrived. As Brian says it can be a bit sticky under foot and quite dark under the trees, you need to have a look round to find a good pitch.

We were able to use a pitch on one of the seasonal terraces which was good as we had some sun and it was near a toilet block. The Bus ride into Porto is something to be remembered as Brian said the ride is quite hairy narrow roads, cars double parked, our driver used the kerb to push the back end of the bus round some of the tight corners.

If you use the Bus tours in the City the fare also covers the local buses.

When we were there the road leading to the campo site was being remade, so there was a diversion to the site, hopefully by September it will be finnished.

Archived