Marquis website kills my PC :-(

mauramac

Is it just me that suffers with this problem? Everytime we try to go onto the Marquis website it totally kna*kers my PC - stone dead, everything slows down and then freezes. It wont even allow me to close PC and re-start I just have to switch off - very annoying and we have today decided best not to use it again. Only happens with Marquis - I wonder if my lovely PC is trying to tell me something (lol) BTW, have you noticed how some Dealers/Manufacturers have huge ads in the mags but when you go onto their websites they really are awful, no photos, limited info and often 'under construction' for weeks on end. For folk like us living in an area of very few dealerships the websites are our first port of call. Maura

I've just tried the Marquis website with no problems. My first question to anyone who has problems like this is: Do you get your Windows updates regularly? Windows has always been beset by security problems and bugs, but Microsoft do try to resolve all the issues as quickly as possible, but so many people don't do the basic maintenance. If you are fully up to date, then I'm puzzled.

It's possible that your PC is providing a 'Gypsy's Warning' that there is something physically wrong with it, but your statement that it's only the Marquis website that causes trouble suggests otherwise. (You could try running Windows system tools to see if anything nasty shows up.) If you've got a really cranky old PC and/or operating system then it's possible that the Marquis site puts it into overload (the slowing down could be symptomatic) but most users of the internet don't persevere with prehistoric kit. Having said that, my own PC is relatively low powered, runs an un-updated version of Windows 98 and an earlyish Internet Explorer variant, and has a non-broadband connection. Despite these factors, I seem to be able to access the Marquis site without anything untoward happening. (In fact everything works surprisingly smoothly and rapidly!) Designers of commercial websites will normally ensure their creations work satisfactorily against the computer operating systems, browsers, etc. that they anticipate visitors to the sites will be using. However, it's clearly impossible for them to know the exact configuration of every individual's PC or what 'software' will actually be running on it when websites are accessed. Ignoring viruses and the like, freebie programs given away in magazines or downloaded, or software proprietary to an ISP, can have an unpredictable effect. I've known something as simple as running a particular screen-saver with a particular mouse program to bring a PC to its knees. Impossible to say why your PC and the Marquis site don't get along but, whatever the cause, it's near as dammit certain that the reason is at your machine's end. If you really feel aggrieved it might be worth you contacting Marquis just in case other people have reported difficulties.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived