Carpet and flooring

Frank

Hi All I wondered if I could tap into your collective experience. We have a 1993 Hymer 644 with fitted carpet. Although the carpet is not in bad condition for the year we are thinking about the possibility of replacing it. The most likely method for replacement would be to have sections of carpet cut and overstitched so that they could be easily taken up for cleaning. However, it may be that wooden flooring may be an option with small mats in places. I have done some searching but did not come up with a lot of information on this subject so have a couple of questions. Has anybody any idea what surface is underneath the original Hymer carpet? Is it difficult fitting the wooden-style flooring that I have seen in some motor homes or is this better done through a workshop? Any other suggestions or links that you may have would be gratefully received. Regards Frank

Hi Frank, I replaced the carpet in my Hymer 665. Under the original carpet was a vinyl with a herring-bone pattern of imitation woodblock. While this was very nice what I did rather than have this on show all over I fitted carpet to some areas and, using carpet edging bars, I left some other areas uncovered - the kitchen and outside the shower-room. For information you could see the inprint of the large washers of the chassis fixings through the vinyl. If you were to put wooden flooring down you would need to router the under surface to allow the flooring to sit flush over these fixings. Hope some of this will be of help to you.;-) Regards, Ian

hi frank fitting laminate floor in your van would take away a lot of your payload i fit laminates & wood floor & if you go to a flooring shop & just pick a pack up you will feel how heavy they are most packs have the weight on the label plus if you have a leak you will not notice it for quite a while

Hi Frank, I have recently replaced the carpets in my Autocruise. I purchased a suitable hessian backed carpet from local retailer, cut the pieces to shape for the van, and returned them to the shop to have the edges bound. I then used heavy duty adheive velcro patches on all 4 corners of each carpet piece, with the matching patch stuck to the vinyl floor. Result - better quality carpet than original, and firmly fitted, but easily removed Regards Ken :

[QUOTE]Ian03/54 - 2006-06-21 8:49 PM I replaced the carpet in my Hymer 665. Under the original carpet was a vinyl with a herring-bone pattern of imitation woodblock. For information you could see the inprint of the large washers of the chassis fixings through the vinyl. If you were to put wooden flooring down you would need to router the under surface to allow the flooring to sit flush over these fixings. Hope some of this will be of help to you.;-) Regards, Ian[/QUOTE] Thank you very much for this Ian and along with the next post you have helped me make a decision regarding the laminate flooring. [QUOTE]berti - 2006-06-21 9:42 PM fitting laminate floor in your van would take away a lot of your payload i fit laminates & wood floor & if you go to a flooring shop & just pick a pack up you will feel how heavy they are most packs have the weight on the label plus if you have a leak you will not notice it for quite a while[/QUOTE] Thank you very much for this slant Berti, I had not considered the weight but had thought that it may give a cold feel to the van so all considered I will go for carpet. [QUOTE]lizken - 2006-06-22 4:13 PM I have recently replaced the carpets in my Autocruise. I purchased a suitable hessian backed carpet from local retailer, cut the pieces to shape for the van, and returned them to the shop to have the edges bound. I then used heavy duty adheive velcro patches on all 4 corners of each carpet piece, with the matching patch stuck to the vinyl floor. Result - better quality carpet than original, and firmly fitted, but easily removed Regards Ken :[/QUOTE] Thanks for this Ken, it is the type of thing I had in mind and good to hear that somebody has found it successful. I will see what services on overlocking are available near me. I guess my only concern now is the carpet within the driver’s area and also on the dashboard in the Hymer, next time I am at the van I will have a look how it has been put together. Regards Frank

Archived