Is it safe to do this

spartan3956

I have solar panels on the roof servicing 2x 105 amp batteries i have just purchased a new van with a micro wave.

I have a 1600 watt min output inverter attached to both batteries.

Could i run an output from the inverter into the hook-up lead inlet plug usually used for mains hook up ?

I would be able to power mains appliances through the exsisting sockets which are protected by the rcd thus powering the microwave for short bursts whilst i wild camp.

Or is this a no no

The couplings would be blue plugs no lash up I have never sen this done before or discussed.

The inverter is earthed to the chasis and it could be grounded from the chasis to earth by spike.

My old van i installed dedicated sockets from the inverter for sky box and tv.

Peter

Guest pelmetman
spartan3956 - 2012-06-26 3:03 PM

I have solar panels on the roof servicing 2x 105 amp batteries i have just purchased a new van with a micro wave.

I have a 1600 watt min output inverter attached to both batteries.

Could i run an output from the inverter into the hook-up lead inlet plug usually used for mains hook up ?

I would be able to power mains appliances through the exsisting sockets which are protected by the rcd thus powering the microwave for short bursts whilst i wild camp.

Or is this a no no

The couplings would be blue plugs no lash up I have never sen this done before or discussed.

The inverter is earthed to the chasis and it could be grounded from the chasis to earth by spike.

My old van i installed dedicated sockets from the inverter for sky box and tv.

Peter

I'm thinking of doing something similar with my trailer...........but I think we'll be treading new ground as I don't know anyone who has tried it before :-S

We have 3 x 110 batteries and an inverter and plug the microwave direct into the inverter. Only use it for warming things up never for anything else. Never had any problems. The twin solar pannels seem to manage ok

You would have to isolate yoru onboard Charger/power supply as it woudl tehn try and feed charging curremt back into teh battrey and so you woudl be creatig a loop and a sorts of things could go wrong.

Also 1600 watts may not be enough for the start up current of your microwave but thats a separate issue and I assume it does work for you. Is it worth doing with the effort of an isolation switch to the charger? Up to you but aciidently not isolating the charger could produce interesting costly results, or may just work fine and at the worst blow a fuse or nothing at all except waste power sending it from battery to invertor, to charger and back the the battery.

I would suggest that a seperate socket and wiring is connected to the inverter as a completely seperate circuit. That's what I have done although I don't run a microwave off it.

You can get an extension lead quite cheaply and you will have most of the bits you need.

H

Guest Tracker
I too would be inclined to keep the two systems separate and I would run a 230v mains lead from the inverter to the microwave using a second socket next to the original for the microwave so that you plug the microwave into whichever source you prefer - either mains via the mains or mains via the 12v plus inverter.

This confuses my simple mind, it beats me why you would want to route mains power through the Inverter :-(

When on EHU, unplug from the Inverter & plug microwave into a mains socket. When wild camping or off EHU, simply plug the microwave back into the Inverter.

After all the Inverter is to convert 12v DC to 230v AC, not for 230v AC to 230v AC & eats some of the power to do so.

If the Microwave lead won't reach a mains socket, use an extension lead.

No problems then with any curcuit looping, charger, etc..

I employed seperate sockets in my last van which worked well, My thoughts were if the system would accept the 230 volts from and inverter why go to the trouble of fitting extra sockets. just connecting up to the mains inlet socket.

The mains charger wouldnt be employed as there are solar panels fitted which cope well with renewaeable energy . i dont use hook up very often I am mainly wild camping.

The inverter peaks at 2000watts but uses continuous at 1600 watts so should cope for short burst in warming food up. but thats a trial test. i will see if the system can cope with the large energy loss out of the batteries.

My only concern is the earthing side

Pete

Guest Tracker

Would linking the earth terminals in both sockets resolve any earthing issues - or are there no issues to resolve - I don't know!!

Please let us know how you get on with battery discharge and, just as importantly, the charging system's ability to recharge them.

Good luck!

Having taken advise i am not going to do it.

The major problem is the earth

On hook up the earth is wired coming into the vehicle .

On the inverter the earth is only wired to the chassis some people dont bother but i do although the vehicle stands on rubber tyres which are not a good earth.

So for safety which is paramount i am as i did before wiring in a seperate socket from the inverter.

I will test the draw on the system and report findings

Guest Tracker

I may well be wrong but I don't think an inverter is earthed at all?

I don't fully understand how it all works so I am open to correction in the name of informing everyone else too!

With double insulated electrical goods the risks appear to be minimal but with metal cased items I can see the concerns?

Perhaps a plug in RCD like this would solve the problem?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-209-RCD-Safety-Plug/dp/B002C32NJ4

Archived