LMC & Merc Sprinter 2.2 auto

Thurlestone

Have seen a 2012 LMC LIBERTY EXPLORER T7505G MERCEDES 2.2 CDi AUTOMATIC low profile for sale. Can anyone give me any information about either this vehicle base or the LMC make as there seems to be little on websites to find out. I have tried the dealer network for uk but without much further knowledge. I wondered if this engine was powerful enough for a coachbuilt and if auto was ok. I know that LMC is under the Hymer umbrella but not much more.

Guest JudgeMental
cant help with specifics but dealer I got my Euramobil from in Belgium is an LMC dealer also..While waiting there for service I spent some time poring over various vans, and I came away with the impression that they where pretty good

Hi,
Quite good build quality,,,hard to get used to their blue or red coverings,,,,long overhang with Garage,,,, Garage door could do with being larger,,,if that is what you are looking for.Sells for around 45,000
Merc auto or manual is first class but needs 3.0 V6 for real driving pleasure in this size Motorhome,
Hope this helps,or contact http://www.lmc-caravan.com/de/index.php
Regards,
Brendan

Worth bearing in mind that LMC tend to not put fridge vents on the side of the motorhome and instead put a through the floor vent for incoming cool and combustion air and a roof vent for outgoing heat and fumes/products of combustion. This means that the fridge has to be completely removed from its housing for servicing, something that Dometic reccomend is done annually t least and more frequently if used on gas extensively. As it happens I serviced the fridge in a LMC yesterday and they're hard work to remove becauseof the size of the fridge freezer and its location itss almost impossible for two people to get to grips with it so one person has to struggle and risk damaging the surrounding furniture. Build quality looks good at first glance but when you start to pull one apart there's little in the way of insulation in the overcab GRP moulding.

Electrics wise they appear to use either Schaudt Elektroblock or Reich equipment, both of which have issueswith overvoltage blowing the charger so a protector is a wise investment.

D.

Thanks for the service yesterday Dave. It is a pain to remove the fridge but I thought you did very well!

LMC are part of the Hymer group and their vans are built to a very high standard. The insulation is to typical German standards and having used my van in the Alps with snow up to the windows I can report that the van is very well insulated; even the overhead cab pod.

The build quality is better than my previous Hymer and they are imported by (IMHO) the very best MH dealer in the UK, Camper UK. I have had the van for two years and the only problem I have had is the Omnistor electric step which operates off a remote controlled switch. The step remote has failed and at £200 I am more than happy to press a manual up or down switch. Everything else just works and habitation checks show her as dry as a bone.

Mine is on the 5 tonne twin wheeled chassis with the 2.2litre engine and a manual gearbox. 2000 miles this month in France at 22mpg fully loaded with a Piaggio Liberty scooter in the garage. The engine is more than adequate for the van, cruises at 60mph at 2300rpm on cruise control and eats hills so the smaller low-profile Liberty with the auto box will be perfect.

The use of Schaudt electrics is pretty much standard across all of the Hymer group motorhomes and I have never had a problem with one. However, I would advise anyone to fit a surge protector. Schaudt manufacture the OVP1 protector which not only provides protection but an additional 240v outlet.

I do believe that D Newell Leisure Services can provide and fit the said unit in exchange for money. :-D

If the LMC you are looking at is in Nottingham I would double check whether Camper UK imported the van to confirm the factory warranty.

Hi Thurlestone

LMC is a sister company is Giest & the importers are Camper UK / Camper NE.

There appears to be a massive price differential between the LMC in Nottingham & the price of it's 2011 (but new / unregistered) Geist Liberty Explorer T7505G sister.

http://www.camperuk.co.uk/New/Campervans_Motorhomes/Instock/New_Motorhomes.html

So as previous poster advised - check the credentials.

We looked at this motorhome recently & build quality looked good on the surface, but it didn't suit our requirements. (Too long & too much lost space in the garage.)

Hi - we owned an LMC Liberty Start for a couple of years recently and were very impressed with (a) build quality and (b) Camper UK service at Lincoln. The base vehicle was a Ford Transit which we were less impressed with however. Camper UK were excellent in rescuing the warranty continuity on my vehicle.

LMC is a 'rare' breed but if you live within reach of the main dealer it is a great vehicle.

Plenty of agents in Europe especially Scandinavia.

The website has already been given in an earlier post.

I would have thought that the Merc based MH would be an ideal combination. Indeed we looked at such a vehicle but went for an Adria with Fiat Ducato instead. Similar buiild quality but many more dealers and excellent HQ support for the brand.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. It has helped us enormously and have decided not to go for it and will now look for either a Rapido or Burstner I think as they offer most of the things we are looking for and I think their build quality is good and will serve us as an all year round van.

Thanks again really appreciated the replies.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. It has helped us enormously and have decided not to go for it and will now look for either a Rapido or Burstner I think as they offer most of the things we are looking for and I think their build quality is good and will serve us as an all year round van.

Thanks again really appreciated the replies.

• 4 months later...

Hi Dave, I notice that in June you made a comment relating to chargers on geist / lmc vans having prob's with the charger blowing due to over voltage .

I have a geist phantom and have a problem with the leisure batteries not being charged when the engine is running my controller is a Reich e-box ii, the van is 2007.

Can you give me any more info' on the issues with this unit and do you know anyone who can test / repair them?

Also do you know where the charger relay / fuse is on this van.

Thank's

Jimhotchkiss@gmail.com

Archived