catagory 1 Alarm

spartan3956

Guest JudgeMental

Try a local commercial vehicle alarm company.......and save a bunch of money. *-)

on a new van you should only need a 2 -1 upgrade.just make sure they program internal sensors to be turned of so you can sleep with perimeter alarmed...

spartan3956 - 2012-06-26 6:00 PM

I have to fit a catagory 1 alarm on a new Motorhome does anyone have any recommendations

Peter

Stick with a local supplier and fitter (plenty of 'em around!). That way, if anything goes wrong they will either come out to your home or they are only minutes away from you.

Why go all the way to Somerset.......just to have an alarm fitted?!!

Guest JudgeMental
tonyishuk - 2012-06-26 7:25 PM

We had a Cobra Alarm fittted and intergrates with the Fiat canbus system very well, Central locking, Internal sensors can be isolated and gas alarm.

We had a Vanbitz Alarm on our previous Rapido, No difference in my book.

Rgds

Exactly.....what do you think they fit anyway, just a bog standard commercial alarm and charge £600 for the privilege.

My AutoWatch fitted 12 months ago works seamlessly and cost £220 *-) And any problems the fitter is local. it is a panel van,a CB with lockers should be no more then £300

find an approved alarm on Thatcham website,it makes for some interesting reading

http://www.thatcham.org/security/index.jsp?page=75&c=cat2_1

SSS , Not sure that its good advice . In the past people have popped on here to say they have been gassed .

Gassed more like fell asleep and been robbed . What would you do and how would you claim if your van was stolen .

I don't agree and loved our alarm especially knowing it was alarmed in a layby overnight on the outside , it made me feel just that much safer .

Not sure that I like others would travel that far I have a Cat 1 fitted to my new vehicle and thats surfice they make enough noise , hopefully enough to put anyone off .

Guest JudgeMental
David Dwight - 2012-06-26 8:06 PM

Van Bitz anytime, might be a tad expensive but worth evry penny.

Van Bitz dont fit bog standard commercial alarms.

Talk to them, then you will find out the difference.

Indeed...... Talk to them and get loads of scaremongering twaddle!lol

You have to fit Thatcham approved alarms. why pay twice as much as you need to pay*-)

you will also find on thatcham site a list of over 40 approved installers throughout the country

http://www.thatcham.org/tri/index.jsp?page=1259

shop around and dont pay more then you need to....

michele - 2012-06-27 3:20 PM

SSS , Not sure that its good advice . In the past people have popped on here to say they have been gassed .

Gassed more like fell asleep and been robbed . What would you do and how would you claim if your van was stolen .

I don't agree and loved our alarm especially knowing it was alarmed in a layby overnight on the outside , it made me feel just that much safer .

Not sure that I like others would travel that far I have a Cat 1 fitted to my new vehicle and thats surfice they make enough noise , hopefully enough to put anyone off .

Hi Michele

There are pro's and con's of alarms and I would not deter anyone who really wanted one. It is unclear from the OP why he has to fit an alarm. I have made an assumption that it may be an insurance requirement. If it is, then the OP may wish to consider that not all underwriters require an alarm to be fitted. There are many that would not touch our A class without but we did find some.

My personal experiences have led me to avoid alarms as there are other options available. There are many security devices and options on the market and for me an alarm would not be my first choice of defense or protection. I do have alarms fitted on some of my vehicles but not by my choice.

You ask about what would I do if I " fell asleep and been robbed . What would you do and how would you claim if your van was stolen".

The insurance are aware that it has no alarm and have underwritten the risk with the associated protection that I have in place.

It is important to remember that an alarm will not guarantee to prevent a theft or assault occurring. It will deter some criminals but not all. There are also other devices/techniques that can be used to help prevent these things from happening that can be just as effective as an alarm.

All options should be looked at to which also includes not fitting an alarm.

Hope that clarifies the post about not fitting an alarm a little better.

JudgeMental - 2012-06-26 7:55 PM

Exactly.....what do you think they fit anyway, just a bog standard commercial alarm and charge £600 for the privilege.

My AutoWatch fitted 12 months ago works seamlessly and cost £220 *-) And any problems the fitter is local. it is a panel van,a CB with lockers should be no more then £300

We too have an Autowatch cost £245 including locker door fitted at home, not had any problems it's been on the van nearly 4 years.

Auto watch has a keypad for overriding functions, a friend has a Cobra a lot more expensive and a pain in the butt for overriding functions it has a single button need to know a form of Morse code to operate it.

JudgeMental - 2012-06-26 7:55 PM

My AutoWatch fitted 12 months ago works seamlessly and cost £220 *-) And any problems the fitter is local. it is a panel van,a CB with lockers should be no more then £300.

I had an AutoWatch fitted to my van by a local supplier/fitter. That's his full time job. But he also fits for a well known Motorhome Dealer (not mentioning the name), for customers of vans. The Dealer whacks £300 on top for doing absolutely nothing.

I paid £280 for mine which is a Cat 2-1 Thatcham with IR sensors plus door sensor.

I could have taken it to this Dealer.....and paid £580 for the same thing.

tonyishuk - 2012-06-26 7:25 PM

We had a Cobra Alarm fittted and intergrates with the Fiat canbus system very well, Central locking, Internal sensors can be isolated and gas alarm.

We had a Vanbitz Alarm on our previous Rapido, No difference in my book.

Rgds

Just to add the installation included two locker doors alarmed and habitation door on a 7.5 metre long m/home

However we did have a Vanbitz alarm on our Kontiki. My wife and I were at the dealer when the van was driven into the workshop. Somehow the alarm was set off. The fitters had to go in with ear defenders to switch it off. Mind you we did pay for an internal and extra siren.

Brought a smile to my face,

Rgds

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2012-06-27 9:55 PM

So how does one get it fitted to the garage door?

you will have a choice of wired or wireless sensors. we had the wireless (battery) sensors on garage door on our Euramobil, and the battery never needed changing in the 4 years we had the van,,,,,,

Having researched alarms before I got one, I decided, despite the "scaremongering twaddle" from VanBitz to have one plus a few other bits of kit fitted. True, I could have purchased something cheaper but what I got suited my own requirements. Horses for courses as always. They also happen to be nice people to deal with, which helps a lot.

I have found a local firm who will even loan me a car while he has the MH for the day.

It will cost approx £450 including tax covering 2 outside lockers and i habitational door.they use the vehicles exsisting central locking.

I would definitley have a decent alarm i had my first camper stolen so i will go with the insurers request they paid out at top book because of the type of alarm i had fitted.

They use magnet reed switches on the lockers and hab door charge £25 for each Alarm ,company fitters

wanted twice that much.

You have to shop around but not too cheap.

I have also found extra looms and transistor boxes are needed just to fit 12n towbar electrics what happened to the old day when you sat and soldered the wires to the vehicle wiring.

Thanks for all your comments.

Pete

spartan3956 - 2012-06-28 10:09 AM

I have also found extra looms and transistor boxes are needed just to fit 12n towbar electrics what happened to the old day when you sat and soldered the wires to the vehicle wiring.

Some idiot invented the Can buss system :D

I've got to fork out £110 for the wiring kit so I can fit a towbar to the new car I've got on order.

Archived