to rv or not to rv that is the question?

slowcoach2china

hello fellow mmm,s thats not the sweet variety thats m,and,m's to avoid confusion? calling all full timers and long haul tourers?

i am looking to tour europe for a year , if its still there by the time i go? for space comfort and a decent load capacity i am considering a swap from the trusty old hymer to a RV, i have concluded so far it must be petrol/lpg, what i need to know is some proper actuall fact based running costs, not inflated saleman never achievable fuel figures, so a best and worst fuel figure on petrol and lpg please? is lpg easily available? credit card payments ok? any type of rv to ingnore and engine type that may be problematic? and any other general info on do's and donts re rv's ie size weight acces toll routes etc much ablidged

I think you will get better answers, if you can clarify what you are actually thinking of getting. After all, RV is just American for motorhome - Recreational Vehicle - and it covers a multitude of various types, makes, and models. Some are the size of coaches, others far closer to European motorhome sizes.

All comments will relate to what folk know, probably from personal experience, so you are relatively unlikely to get great clarity without a bit more of a steer.

Hi petrol wise you only have two to choose from, Ford or GM, while some prefer one to the other there's nothing really between them. MPG for both will be around 10-11 at best for "A" class and maybe nearer 14-15 for a smaller "C" class. On lpg about 20% worse.

Lpg is widely availably all over Europe except Finland which doesn't have any for public use. It is harder to get in some countries, mainly Spain (about 60 outlets), Switzerland, Austria, Greece, Denmark and Sweden. Most outlets accept CC but some of the older ones like in Spain which sell LPG only, are cash only. Plenty of poi's for satnav are available including google maps like mine here. http://goo.gl/maps/V1aY

Don't know what licence you have but with grandfather rights you can drive up to 7.5t, plenty of "C" class around under that, not so many "A" class, some of which have been downrated compromising the payload, and some of which are simply illegal as they weigh over 7.5t empty, *-) A couple on Ebay right now.

Driving is fairly easy, only thing is many of the newer "A" class are 102" wide which can make toll booths a bit tricky to navigate. If you intend to do much touring I would keep to a length of 30' or thereabouts as it makes finding sites which can take you easier. Slides are definitely something to have if your licence allows, my 30' twin slide winnie is equal to a 36' non slide RV.

Ian

Hi

90% of what Olley says is true. Most American Motor homes are Fuel "in-efficient" I had 12.5mpg out of my 6.5litre turbo-diesel Towing a car, overall from The UK to Spain and back this held good for the several seasons we did it. I had a Spreadsheet on it but lost it when my computer collapsed big time a few years back!!. But as a guide to the Chevy; (diesel) Engine it is a reasonable base to work from. (Petrol engines will be lower, I get 8.2 to a US gallon on my 1999 Winnebago in the USA).

Watch the weight, this IS important if you do not have an HGV licence (or grandads rights) then a total Running mass of 8.5 tonne is your limit. (in my case it was the R-V Plus a Smart on tow and this is JUST under 8.5 on the weigh bridge!!) Which has allowed me to let my HGV go due to age.

There ARE people out there running 9tonne + vehicles (on a "car" Licence) who have been told by dealers that it is "OK" . NOT IN THE UK AND EUROPE. (As a non US "semi resident" with a Texan Licence I do run a 22000lb vehicle + "toad" in the US). But do not try it here your Insurance will be invalid!!. and in event of a accident you could pick up a crippling bill PLUS a Jail term!!.

Having said that, I cannot but say that we enjoyed every minute (well almost) of our ownership. the extra room plus the facilities and equipment are superior (year for year) than European Motor-homes (wait for the flack that will get!!). Yes, Euro-vans are smaller Yes, they can get on Spanish sites more easily, I know I have done it and been there!! I Know that in a few years I will be back in one (or even a caravan) but I do not look forward to it!! Its got to do with age and licencing laws!!, medical problems etc: etc: . I always say "old age? I do not remember signing up for it!!! But until they "take my Licence from my dead hand" they will not get It" ( apologies to Charlton Heston!)

pete

Hi Ian,

Nice to hear from you,!!! The "lost" 10% was a "figure of speech" Don`t get on the R-V sites now since they all went "Subscription". I found a Photo of your rig on the Harbor in Portugal the other day. God knows how it got on my hard drive!!!.

Had a fantastic winter in Th USA. 5000+ miles in 4 Months. including the "legendary" Brits Rally!!, at Quartzite!!.

Are you still "fulltiming" ?

Best wishes

Pete

Hi Pete yes still living the dream? (lol) Still waiting to retire. :'( Is your picture in the ARV mag? as they have some pictures of the rally, looks like you had a great time. Wife would love to go but she's scared of flying. :-(

Have a great time.

Ian

Hi Ian,

As Andy Worhol said, 15 min of fame?. Yes we thoroughly enjoyed it, Don't think I`ve laughed that much in "donkeys" Borderline? Lunacy!!. Sitting around a fire in the dessert ,miles from anywhere. Throwing "wellies" to see who can hit the spot!!. One couple we met, Live about 15 miles from us!!! and the Young niece with them lives further down our street!!!. The author of the piece is the guy who`s R-V caught fire the night before they where due to set out!! (believed to be the frig; that started it). The "rat" had the ladies "going" though. I call it Monty (well he was a "desert" rat!!). But then I`m old enough to remember!!. Fish and Chips In a Desert Town, At a "chippy" run by a guy from Manchester!!.

One day I may write the Book!!.

best wishes Pete.

P.S. I note the ARVM Forum has been down now for several weeks? apart from this one its the only other I get onto now. that a couple of US sites.

Archived