Skiing with Motorhome

laimeduck

Somewhat unseasonable, but

For years I took the caravan to a caravaneige in the Alps and had great skiing holidays. I want to do the same using my motorhome - no great problem - except I can foresee one potential problem. (I am not concerned about winterising the van as all facilities are provided by the site I use, so we don't use water or the toilet etc)

If it snows I have no way of getting the snow off the roof. The caravan roof sloped from an apex, so the snow could be brushed off. On my Benimar, the roof has higher sides & water escapes down three channels at the rear, or floods down over the windscreen. I have no ladder fixed.

This summer in Splugen, and Churwalden I saw both makeshift wooden covers & bespoke aluminium covers on some foreign vans - anyone know anything about them, or has anyone experienced the problem and come up with a solution?

(I realise I could take a collapsible ladder with me, but I still have the problem of getting the snow off the roof without damaging the roof surface)

Weeeeeeeeeelll - you could do what we did a few years back and get caught out by a red traffic light and simply heave out the anchor.

It won't work on an icy road mind, but on a clear road the result is that the lot just flies off the roof and lands in front of you in the middle of the junction! The good burgers of Fussen seemed to think it great fun, I thought it was embarrassing, and I gather the police might have considered it actionable!

Seriously, I think the only practical answer is a collapsible ladder plus a long handled brush. We had a ladder at the rear but I chickened out of dancing around on an icy, snow laden, motorhome roof - they are slippery enough when just wet. Also, you'll need boots or similar on your feet, because the ground is liable to be snowy as well, and I doubt they are the best footwear for walking on motorhome roofs! You'll need padding to protect the van from the ladder, but if you use decent quality pipe insulation it should also help to prevent the ladder slipping around as you work.

The greatest danger to others is that the van heating tends to cause the snow to thaw where it is in contact with the roof. It seems to re-freeze overnight leaving a layer of ice stuck to the roof. There it sits until you drive off and the day begins to warm a little, or the heat from the van again thaws the contact zone, whereupon it begins to detach in sheets. Very nasty! I think one needs to move carefully to lower altitude and stop for a while in an attempt to thaw it off.

We had not been high at all when we got dumped on, and I still have uncomfortable memories of that minor avalanche, thinking it had all gone, and then seeing bits of ice following us along a mercifully quiet road. So, I think you are right to be concerned.

For years I took the caravan to a caravaneige in the Alps and had great skiing holidays. I want to do the same using my motorhome - no great problem - except I can foresee one potential problem. (I am not concerned about winterising the van as all facilities are provided by the site I use, so we don't use water or the toilet etc)

Sorry to say this Laimduck but if I dont say this someone else will when I am on the slopes I Will be looking behind me all the time expecting you to be flying down the slopes with your motorhome I hope you have good brakes on it just let me know when and where you are going LoL.

Mike

Mickydripin - 2012-06-28 6:23 PM

Sorry to say this Laimduck but if I dont say this someone else will when I am on the slopes I Will be looking behind me all the time expecting you to be flying down the slopes with your motorhome I hope you have good brakes on it just let me know when and where you are going LoL.

Mike

Herumppff *-)

I think that's reserved for Oxford & Cambridge students - I believe they sat atop a piano or a double bed & went down the slopes!

NB with the caravan you had to put it on its roof 8-)

Archived