Looking to upgrade

Bolly1965

We've had our Herald Valencia for almost ayear now. We bought it really to see if we liked motorhoming and love it. We're now looking to upgrade to a larger van.

The model that seems t tick all our boxes is the Bessacarr E765, however, we've not seen one in the flesh yet.

Does anyone have any experience? We'll be looking at 2003 - 2007 models with the fixed French bed. as I'm over 6 foot tall and not exactly a lightweight, woud the bed in this van be big enough? Same question regarding the shower.

The problem with most french beds is they arn't IMO big enough, the one in Bessacarr is IIRC a bit smaller than the bed in our old VDub and compared to the one in our present PVC possitively minute. If you want/need a big bed look at a different layout.

Sorry don't no anything about the Bessie'..but our van has a "french bed" layout and on ours' the biggest compromise of the layout is the quite narrow shower/loo(...although we have seen vans that have made far better use of the available space than ours'..)

True the beds aren't always the biggest you're likely to find in a van...but there again,you're not having to dismantle the lounge every night,in order to use it...

Having said that,for us,a rear lounge set up *would* be workable IF it had a decent "loungable" front dinnette(..meaning that the bed *could* be left made up..)

My advice would be get out and have a poke about in as many different vans as you can...sometimes what seems ideal on paper...falls at the first hurdle ,once you've actually set foot in it...

Edit: And don't forget to do some homework on the all imortant payloads...;-)

Guest JudgeMental
French beds always narrow with compromised bathrooms as well....Twin singles a better idea I think

Anyone thinking of travelling abroad in the summer wanting a fixed bed needs to think about the temperatures and the discomfort of sleeping in a smallish double bed. Last Sunday in Madrid the temperature reached 42.5 degrees in the shade. Internal temperatures in the van fell to 35.5 degrees overnight and in the previous week in the Cordoba area the temperatures were only a degree or so lower.

Sleeping in the heat is difficult at the best of times but a large person in a small bed is not an ideal situation. Of course for the UK and in the Spring and Autumn abroad there would be less discomfort so at the end of the day it is down to useage. Two singles are the best compromise.

Having looked at the Bessicar, we feel it fits our needs - didn't try the bed though as that'd be rude! But it looks large enough.

The twin single bed option seems to me a bot of a waste of space - ideally an end u-shaped lounge, which could be left made up as a bed would suit us great if we could find one with 2 short couches at the front rather than a dinette. Sadly that layout doesn't appear to be available.

I may be old fashioned but I really have no intentions of travelling abroad - work comittments - and I'm more drawn to the UK style vans rather than the Euro models,which don't seem as cosy or luxurious.

Up to press, the Bessicarr looks like our best bet

Guest JudgeMental

But most rear lounges dont have proper mattresses? and are very narrow..One alleged top brand British van has rear lounge beds at 600mm wide..that is a tad over 2 foot!lol

I can tell you if you are buying - you is trying! It's your money, and I would lay on bed as long as it took me to make a decision regards if its right or wrong for us...

That's a good point. I suffer from not being able to get confortable and the bed in the Herald took some getting used to. Once tried using it as two singles - way too narrow. As a double it's absolutely enormous!

I'll defo 'try'

Bolly1965 - 2012-06-29 9:31 PM

The Swift Kon Tki is identical to the Bessacarr, layout etc. There seems to be little difference in price. Does anyone know what the differences actually are - apart from the name of course!

Bessacarr usually has a little more equipment as standard, but as option on the Kon-Tiki & the fabric covering / external graphics differ.

For a front lounge with a rear transverse bed, also have a look at the Swift Sundance 630L (low bed) or Swift Sundance 630G / Bessacarr E480 for garage & high bed.

The 630L is available with overcab double bed also.

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/motorhomes/bessacarr/e400/layouts

If looking for an older model the above replicate the Autocruise Starblaser (L = low bed or G= garage/ high bed)

http://search.leisurekingdom.co.uk/EXEC/0/0f2bsns0x7j9lo11r2ay01qmh2xl (garage/high bed)

All are shorter (@ 7.49) than the Bessacarr E769 & Swift Kon-Tiki by around a Metre,

Archived