taking our dog on holiday to France

neilc

We are booked to go to Cherbourg from Portsmouth in September in our motor-home and are taking our standard Poodle with us for the first time any advise regarding good vets in Cherbourg for the check up on our return and a good campsite near the port as we arrive fairly late plus any other tips would be very helpful

Thanks Neil

Guest pelmetman

You now have a window of 5 days to bring your dog home ;-)

We use a vet in Forges les Eaux, 10 min walk from a nice aire to a English speaking vet..........nice town to :D

Thanks for the information about the 5 days but I should have said we needed a vet the Brittany side of Cherbourg preferably as near to the port as possible if anyone can help

Thanks Neilc

Hi Neil, welcome to the mad (dog) house! :D

I haven't any details of a vet where you want, however, be aware that the closer to the ports you get the bigger the vet's bill, if you can get your dog checked a few days earlier at a place further away, you'll save some dosh.

Guest pelmetman
Mickydripin - 2012-07-02 3:02 PM

Sorry for jumping on the back of your post Neilc

But does anybody know what the vets have to do now and what are they charging for.

Mike.

I think we paid 40 euro's in May at Forges les Eaux, he scanned Troy to confirm his chip was in place, supplied the worming tablet.........we supplied the cheese :D......filled in the paperwork.....we paid the bill, and said see you in September ;-)

I know nothing about vets, but there is a quite good campsite at Maupertus sur Mer called L'Anse du Brick. The adjacent restaurant, La Maison Rouge, was also good when we visited, though that was 8 or so years ago. Maupertus is about 6 miles east of Cherbourg on the D116 coast road: GPS N49.66748 W1.48775.

Quite a few other sites, but the above is the only one I have visited.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2012-07-02 3:43 PM

I know nothing about vets,

You mean they're letting you back in without worming Brian :D

Mickydripin - 2012-07-02 3:02 PM

Sorry for jumping on the back of your post Neilc

But does anybody know what the vets have to do now and what are they charging for.

Mike.

Pelmetman said,

I think we paid 40 euro's in May at Forges les Eaux, he scanned Troy to confirm his chip was in place, supplied the worming tablet.

Pelmetman

Forty euro`s that is what I paid to a vet in Caen last year for the check up an injection and worming tablet so now they are doing less and still charging the same.

Twenty eight Euros is what we paid this year. Supplied our own worming pills (two for our monster Old English Sheepdog). No Tick treatment is recorded now, but it is always advisable to keep pets topped up. Again we carry our own in order to keep costs to a minimum. Two years ago, we had our fingers burnt by being charged 90 Euros for 10 mins appointment. Not just "rip off Britain" !!

Archived