French Breathalyzer fine 9 euros

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Cost to buy in the UK between 5...7....quid?..........they have a use by date of 2 to 3 years?.........

Hmmmmm what are my chances of being stopped and asked to produce one?......

Questions questions :-S............shall I shan't I......peace of mind would cost 1 or 2 quid........dam its tempting :D

But then I could be a bad boy............and save money >:-)

The fine is 11€, not 9€, and (although the French law became effective today) French police won't be imposing the fine until 1 November 2012.

I would have thought that, come November, UK motorists will be sitting ducks for the French police regarding the breathalyser law, so I'd estimate your chance of being stopped/checked for compliance as being pretty high.

If you are seriously considering breaking a French motoring law by not spending a couple of euros, simultaneously risking a fine of over 5 times that amount of money, then you have definitely won the right to be placed at the very top of my "Prats of 2012 Awards" list.

pelmetman - 2012-07-01 9:10 AM

Cost to buy in the UK between 5...7....quid?..........they have a use by date of 2 to 3 years?.........

Hmmmmm what are my chances of being stopped and asked to produce one?......

Questions questions :-S............shall I shan't I......peace of mind would cost 1 or 2 quid........dam its tempting :D

But then I could be a bad boy............and save money >:-)

Will the French not " Pounce " on UK Motorhomes now that it has started ?

I`m sure some will see it as a chance it increase " the revenue " as they would

in this country. Economic Climate and all that .

There was something on the BBC news this morning about it starting to but

there will be a " period of grace " or similar until November ?

I didn`t catch all of it.

I suppose the new law will be enforced with the same enthusiasm as that shown for many other daft French laws like:-

Between the hours of 8AM and 8PM, 70% of music on the radio must be by French artists.

It is illegal to kiss on railway lines in France.

No pig may be addressed as Napoleon by its owner, but may be called "Bonnepart" "Emperor" etc.

Women can only wear trousers in Paris if they are riding a bike or horse and have presented themselves to the City Police for inspection. They may, however wear a bikini.

Best of all:-

It is illegal for a Frenchman to shoot at Englishmen crossing the Channel "Unless they are in a boat of war". Scottish, Irish and Welsh are "open season" at all times.

Vive la différence.

H

The French are acutely aware that they need revenue for tourism, that is the main reason they are so good (and have been for years) at promoting France as a "destination". The ethylotest units are reportedly €2 for a two pack in supermarkets. It is very unlikely UK vehicles will be specifically targeted, I would expect all foreign registered vehicles to be treated in the same way. I'd expect police to tour the autoroute rest areas and filling stations, and/or leaflets to be handed out at manned toll stations, or similar, to get the message across. If visiting France in the autumn just buy a twin-pack with your shopping. If not, but you'll be in France after 1 November 2012, then you'll have to buy in UK or on a ferry or possibly at the tunnel departure shops, presumably at the standard UK price of twice what anyone else will be paying!

Do's anyone see any Police on the roads in France these days?

Back in the 70s you saw lots of Police Motorcyclists in pairs patrolling the roads, you would see several every day. Over the last few years I have seen less and less, we saw 1 Patrol car heading somewhere whith his lights going, and a couple of Motorcycle Police sitting in a lay bye this year, that was travelling up from the south west corner of France to Swtizerland and then from Switzerland up to Dover.

Or are they disguised.

Surely the best advice is to buy a kit and be prepared, why put up with the hassle of not having one.

Oh we were flashed by a Speed Camera in a 40kph zone doing about 42 kph according to Sat nav. Not heard anything, that was about 6 week ago. I expect they will be waiting for us next time we go over, but we will fool them as we will possibly be going in the Car.

I've got another hundred miles or so to do in France before the ferry, but I am carrying a kit, so no worries.

Haven't seen a lot of police on the motorways but more on national routes this trip.

Also seen two or three lots of police with hand held cameras - so they were NOT well hidden.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2012-07-01 9:27 AM

The fine is 11€, not 9€, and (although the French law became effective today) French police won't be imposing the fine until 1 November 2012.

I would have thought that, come November, UK motorists will be sitting ducks for the French police regarding the breathalyser law, so I'd estimate your chance of being stopped/checked for compliance as being pretty high.

If you are seriously considering breaking a French motoring law by not spending a couple of euros, simultaneously risking a fine of over 5 times that amount of money, then you have definitely won the right to be placed at the very top of my "Prats of 2012 Awards" list.

Must be my hearing then, I'm sure they said on the telly 9 euros :-S........So another 2 euro's.......us bad boy's just can't resist living outside the law :D........

Mind you they have never bothered to stop me for the last 30 odd years that I've been driving in France ;-)

As for "you have definitely won the right to be placed at the very top of my "Prats of 2012 Awards" list" I'll accept that Honorable award with pride :-D.................Do I get a badge?? B-)

Guest Tracker

There are spates from time to time where police wait close to ferry terminals to clobber those without headlight beam benders/blockers and similarly the Spanish police have been known to wait by toll booths to clobber those who pull away without doing up their seat belt, or at tunnel exits to clobber those without headlights on - or so it is alleged as I have never experienced these? But why run the risk?

Being stopped by French police and asked purely to produce a breathalyser seems unlikely unless they have cause to stop you - like a traffic infringement or a faulty light perhaps in which case why risk their irritation for the sake of a few Euros.

Maybe if they feel that they want to start booking you they would be more inclined to look for other things to make it more worth their time?

When in any country do as the natives are obliged to do is the best policy - especially as the breathalysers are so cheap anyway.

I really can't understand why this discussion is dragging on over such a ridiculously small cost??

And you lot call me tight fisted??

Yes, the fine will be 11 € from Novemeber but as far as I know this discussion is pointless at the moment because there are no testers available in France, at least in this area, so even the French can't buy them. I have been trying to buy one for a month now. There is also a lot of discussion about the reason for this law as the man who introduced it in the previous parliament is a friend of the owner of the factory which produces these things so there may well be some retraction. The Chinese have also tried to get in on the act but the customes men have confiscated a huge shipment of these testers but they do not conform to the law anyway.

As for the police on the roads, the most likely time to see them is at weekends and on Sundays in particular. I passed one van this morning.

Patricia - 2012-07-01 12:46 PM................There is also a lot of discussion about the reason for this law as the man who introduced it in the previous parliament is a friend of the owner of the factory which produces these things so there may well be some retraction. ...................

Ooooooooooooooh! Really!! What priceless inside information. Well spotted Patricia! :-D :-D :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2012-07-01 1:35 PM

Patricia - 2012-07-01 12:46 PM................There is also a lot of discussion about the reason for this law as the man who introduced it in the previous parliament is a friend of the owner of the factory which produces these things so there may well be some retraction. ...................

Ooooooooooooooh! Really!! What priceless inside information. Well spotted Patricia! :-D :-D :-D

I so hope that is true >:-)........But surely even a French politician could not be that stupid :D......

We're in France at moment and not seen any action by police. Bought the breathylizers in Carrefour-2 for 1.99 Euros. Lady in supermarket told me there was a rush on them by the French as the law comes in this weekend

Mike

We went into a French Pharmacy yesterday (30th ) They do not have any stock received yet as apparently due to the change in government there is a delay in when the law will now be implemented, they think possibly August but should definitely be in by November !!!!

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2012-07-01 1:35 PM

You sound surprised Brian.......I'm not!

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws"

Tacitus

Guilty of false information, I'm afraid - see http://www.connexionfrance.com/breath-test-breathalyser-Contralco-Orgeval-13885-view-article.html for a truer picture - although I don't think it alters the fact that there was probably a conflict of interest.

As for drunks becoming responsible with this new law, I don't think so. Llast Saturday I attended the local village evening meal and entertainment. Lovely evening so everyone was stood outside for aperos (for 90 minutes while we waited for the football fans to arrive after the match finished!) where most people were drinking water or fruit juice. This is hard to believe but absolutely true! Suddenly this man fell into the French lady next to me with no apology (most unusual). I have never seen anyone so drunk. He could barely stand but still managed to somehow get into his car and turn on the engine and proceed to reverse into the crowd and then drive off.. Everyone was astonished but fortunately a man ran after him and managed to get the car keys through the window. Now, the new law would not have made any difference to that scenario!

I've been driving regularly in France since the 1980s and, although I've never been stopped myself by French roadside police checks, I've encountered plenty of them. For example, last year the main axial road running from Laval to Rennes was closed by the police, with all traffic (including us) heading towards Rennes being diverted through a rest-area where motorist/vehicle inspections were being carried out. A few days later we came across another police-check at the entry to a remote village. So don't think that the French police no longer carry out roadside checks, because they do.

Statistically, France has a major problem with drink-driving compared to EU countries like Germany or the UK. The French breathalyser law is a politically acceptable means of attempting to address this problem. As was pointed out in earlier forum threads on this subject, the law has been in 'outline form' for a good few years, just waiting for agreement regarding how and when it should be implemented.

Whether the French law works in reducing alchohol-related road accidents in that country remains to be seen. It's not a "stupid law" and the thinking behind it should surely be obvious. The French legal-limit is significantly lower than the UK's and it does not take a huge intake of alchohol to breach that limit. I've no idea if motorists who drink and drive (which is probably most motorists) will use the breathalysers to check their legal status after a midday/evening drinking session (or in the morning after a boozy night out), but at least the opportunity to do so will now be there.

Regarding pelmetman's question "So do you need to buy two?...........£5.98 ............", the answer is, of course, NO. I note that last Saturday's "Telegraph" (Travel section, page T4) claimed that two breathalysers must be carried, but that's incorrect. The French law is crystal-clear about this - one NF-marked, unused, within-expiry-date, available-to-hand breathalyser is sufficient. However, it's recommended that at least two (single-use) breathalysers be carried - the reasoning should be obvious and has been discussed on this forum before.

A summary of the Telegraph article is here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9361558/British-drivers-unaware-of-French-breathalyser-rule.html

with a follow-up (also wrong regarding the number of breathalysers) here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/9367985/Drivers-in-France-must-carry-a-breathalyser-from-today.html#

While there may be controversy over conflicts of interest relating to the people involved in bringing in the French breathalyser law, it should really be no surprise that NF-standard products were insisted on, nor that the French company Contralco needed to have advance warning of the law's implementation. Dates of implementation needed to be achievable and realistic, but not too far in the future for motorists to forget about them. With Contralco apparently already having 78% of the French market for this type of breathalyser, but the size of the market until recently being very small, a rapid expansion in production capability would have been essential to meet demand. If Contralco does well because of the new French law, so what? Someone has to produce these breathalysers and, if the alternative is a South African company, it should be no surprise that a French company would be preferred.

Regarding "daft French laws", all countries are claimed to have these. For instance

http://best-hoaxes.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/20-strange-and-funny-uk-laws.html

For 'daftness', how about the UK's 3050kg vehicle unladen-weight threshold that impacts on vehicle speed limits? That's still current, essentially unpoliceable, but still has the potential to catch UK motorists out.

Archived