reverse polarity indicator on when in UK?

rogertravels

Hello all. we are quite new to motorhoming and have just bought our first van. Its a 97 fiat ducato swift mondial. Everything works great but the light indicating reverse polarity comes on when we are plugged in to the mains here (ireland) .I've had my lead checked and its fine. Its an english van so I can't see why this is happening. Any ideas? Thanks Roger

I suggest you plug a 'neon-type' 230V circuit tester into one of your Mondial's mains sockets and see what that shows. If the tester indicates reverse polarity then it would be logical to assume the indicator light is reading true: if it doesn't then the indicator light is lying for some reason. I hear what you say about your hook-up lead being OK, but there may be something wonky about the hook-up connection on the motorhome itself, or about the cabling between the connection and the distribution-box. If you feel in a fiddling-about mood, I suppose you could always try switching over the positive and negative cables at one end of the hook-up lead to see if that made any difference. But I'd definitely try the circuit-tester first!

we used to have a 96 Mondial - nice van - the reverse polarity indicator always seemed to work ok for us, including in Ireland. Can you test it at home or are you relying on a campsite. You could always try reversing polarity on lead and see if light still comes on. Sounds like you may have to take box apart tho. Best bet is probably to get independent plug in tester - because this covers other potential issues. B-)

Archived