Turbo whistle,and faint oil smell 2.8 Jtd

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

Over to you guys, after conflicting garage advise wonder if any of come across a couple of issues I have with my van, which may or maybe not be related.

50000 mile 2.8 2003 Jtd has had a whistle develop on hard acceleration mainly going up hill, also I have noticed a faint oil smell as well oddly since an oil change, but may be coincidence, no obvious leaks, exhaust smoke non existent, ( well non that I can see) van has been regularly serviced new oil and filter every 6 to 8 thousand miles.

Any ideas out there with anyone having had a similar problem very much welcomed ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I should not have added since the oil change as my wife has reminded me we have noticed it prior to the last oil change, and I do it myself to ensure none goes anywhere other than in the filler cap, but thanks.

Hello,

It cannot be turbo pipes because you have no smoke, and presumably no lack of power.

I would suggest that this may be one of those vans affected by a defective inlet manifold gasket. It won't do any harm in the long run but if you want to get it looked at because it is bugging you then that is where I would start. The gaskets are pretty cheap but it will take a couple of hours to do and can be quite awkward to get at.

If it's not that, then it could possibly be turbo wear, but I would rule out the above first.

Nick

Guest Tracker
Manifold gasket or air leak was my first thought but the last time I said that I got ignored - so I didn't !

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thanks guys, will look in to your suggestions, or rather I'll ask a garage to check it out as my DIY days are over apart from the odd oil change, even that is becoming a challenge.Can you clarify that this could possibly be the INLET manifold, rather than the exhaust manifold, although to muddy the water the whistle has only come on over the last few thousand miles, unless my hearing aid has become defective over the same time !. Pity Euroserve does not live nearer, can't find anyone around my neck of the woods that has a clue, most of them you would not let loose on a push bike, last MOT had an advisory for rear pads wearing thin, on examination when I took it for a tyre change somewhere else, the pads as I saw with my own eyes were as good as new, and that's the problem, hence my post.

Archived