Waterproof cover for joined plugs

Wirralian

On occasions when you need to join two hook-up cable for extra length, the two joined plugs are left exposed to the elements. The continentals are able to buy suitable 'torpedo' shaped waterproof covers. But these are too small for our larger plugs and heavier gauge cables. I thought that I had found in Homebase the other day exactly the right size cover that I have been looking for. But whilst it takes one of our plugs it was not long enough to enclose both of them. Has anyone got the bigger British version of these continental waterproof covers or point me to where I could source one.

On a site that I frequently go to in Spain, the one 25 metre cable is not long enough. I used to enclose the two joined plugs in plastic bags but became concerned when I saw the amount of condensation inside one morning. I have lately wrapped gaffa tape around plugs. Its a bit messy to take off. What methods have others taken to overcome this problem (or am I assuming a problem!).

John

On the rare occasion I need to join leads I use kitchen cling film which is always in the van, it can be bound tight around plugs so no condensation problems, and if weather looks to be wet, find a suitable rock or block of wood to raise the plugs off the ground.

No point in buying and carrying extra gear around with you for limited use.

After having to use our two leads on a couple of occasions,I bought one of those,as in Flika's link..

(GoOutdoors-Pennine Leisure "Safebox")....

..although,now that I'm "equipped",I dare say it will probably sit in the van,unused for the next few years ...

*-)

Edit: John(OP),expect to get the, "..you shouldn't need one..if the plugs & sockets are up too spec'.." and "..you shouldn't be joning cables beyond 25m anyway.." types of responses... (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2012-07-04 9:43 AM

The standard plugs are IP44 rated which is only splash proof. You could replace your plugs and sockets with IP66 rated ones which are waterproof.

Beat me to it..the IP66 are submersible. Personally I dont worry about it, but would never pick up the joined leads of the ground without disconnecting from the mains first! :-S

lennyhb - 2012-07-04 9:43 AM

The standard plugs are IP44 rated which is only splash proof. You could replace your plugs and sockets with IP66 rated ones which are waterproof.

Agreed. Providing they are correctly assembled, they are rated waterproof to 1 metre depth. They initially connect as the standard IP44 variety, but have superior cable and body seals, and the two parts are pulled together onto an internal seal by a locking ring.

Connected without use of the locking ring they still attain the IP44 standard.

The standard lead carries the IP67 (ours are actually rated 67, not 66, but it is the first 6 that is relevant to water proofing) plug, which will connect to all CEE site feeders and any adaptor leads you have. The extension lead would carry the corresponding IP66/7 trailing socket that, however, may not connect to all designs of vans input plugs (although it doue connect to ours).

This is, IMO, a far more secure remedy than the shell type devices, that seem to me liable to eventually let-by if submerged - for example if they end up lying in a puddle after heavy rain. Look at Farnell, or RS Online. The ones you want are blue, 230V rated, 16A, three pin.

When I have to do this I place the joined connectors on a small folding step and then invert a bucket and place it over and a brick on top.The step raises them of the ground to prevent water seeping in,and the bucket prevents rainfall onto the connectors.

Archived