How busy will it be?

dawki

Hi All

We don't usually go to France during high season ,but we have a chance to go over for the last 2 weeks of July.

Hoping to do lots of cycling somewhere warm and sunny.

But will the sites, aires etc be very busy?

I would expect it to be busy, especially anywhere near the sea, or lakes. If you don't book, you need to get to sites by early afternoon.

Good places to cycle; Canal du Midi - along the canals of Burgundy - the Marais region ( Vendee) and / or the islands, Ile de Re / Ile de Oleron.

We've been all over France in September for the last 3 years. It has been very quiet and we have never come across a site full. We use Acsi sites where possible and have had a good welcome.. I have been told the French holiday season ends around mid August. Most tourists we have met have been Dutch or English.

WildBill - 2012-07-05 12:01 AM

Hhmmm, been wondering about France early September. Is it worth going if its too busy??

We have often been in early September and it's never been busy.

You can go over there in last few days of August and find that sites have plenty of room.

Guest JudgeMental

For last 25 years or so we have spent at least one month in Europe, July/August. my wife works in education so we have no choice. It is fine, you will always find somewhere. if you want to be in a real popular spot book ahead or turn up early.

yes can be busy and the worse area we have ever been for that is the Perpignan coast, this heaves with crowds and we would never return, awful area anyway...but even there still possible to walk around and find a table in a restaurant.

Cote de Azur fine, busy but fine....Vendee coast OK as well. Inland no problems as high season is all about decent weather and the seaside. If your the type who likes trudging around in Febuary in a deserted wet France in wellys and sou'wester like some on here, well I guess you are in for a proper summer experience! :-D

If you enjoy pottering around France and not too worried about "attractions" September is usually a fine month (This year's weather who knows ?)

However after August, many attractions just close on 1st September, Places like Chateaux may be open and take your money, only to find the interiors are locked until next Easter. Ask before you part with cash !

Rgds

JudgeMental - 2012-07-05 10:01 AM

For last 25 years or so we have spent at least one month in Europe, July/August. my wife works in education so we have no choice. It is fine, you will always find somewhere. if you want to be in a real popular spot book ahead or turn up early.

yes can be busy and the worse area we have ever been for that is the Perpignan coast, this heaves with crowds and we would never return, awful area anyway...but even there still possible to walk around and find a table in a restaurant.

Cote de Azur fine, busy but fine....Vendee coast OK as well. Inland no problems as high season is all about decent weather and the seaside. If your the type who likes trudging around in Febuary in a deserted wet France in wellys and sou'wester like some on here, well I guess you are in for a proper summer experience! :-D

We always go to France in the winter Eddie, never trudged around in the wet yet. More like sun, snow and skis. Fantastic scenary best skiing in the world, much better than getting bored laying on a beach. Agree August not to bad away from the coast which we largely ignore this in any case.

dawki -

Just got back from 3.5 weeks chugging around mainly the Dordogne/Lot regions of France, and it was not at all busy.

But do be aware that you'll pay top whack at any/every campsite, as all the cheapo ACSI rates for camp-sites do not apply during the July/August peak months.

Also be aware that there will be millions of kids at any site you go to, in the pool, running about etc. They'll be French kids so they will be well behaved, but they will be noisy and boisterous....don't expect quiet evenings.

Also be aware that it gets VERY hot in mid-southern France during those peak summer months. I mean VERY hot. If you haven't got shade and/or air-con, you'll cook. Really. It was mid-30's last week in several places we went to, and it's gonna be hotter as the weeks go by.

One option to maybe think about is using aires rather than campsites for some/all of your tour....there are millions of the things, and many are free. We love them.

Even those that charge a few euros don't whack their prices up through the roof just 'cos it's peak season. But do arrive at your chosen aire by maybe 2 or 3pm, as they do fill up very quickly in summertime.

Enjoy!

Hi all

Thanks for your response, BGD it seems that I would be able to get in somewhere if I plan ahead slightly.

We were planning to go to Wales for the last two weeks in July, but there is just no sign of any decent weather.

I think we will leave it until the last minuet and then decide, but it looks like France at moment

Have a look at Marans and inland from there, there are many cycle tracks and they do a pack of them that you can buy giving loads of circular routes, mainly flat ground.

Marans has a municipal that we have stayed at a few times, supermarket 2 mins away or there is an Aire there under the trees next to the waterway.

On the river you can hire mini powered boats to go and explore the water if you get a bit saddle sore.

We stayed at a huge aire on grass just in from there but cannot think of the name right now.

We always have to go in school holls as we have a child.

Mandy

found a page that tells you about the routes and where to get them, the section at the bottom relates to it.

http://tinyurl.com/marais-cycling-routes

Archived